Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Romanian 1956 22 trainer

Boolit Master

Romanian 1956 22 trainer

Sometime back I mentioned that I bought this trainer. Disassembled it and except for the bbl all the parts are in good shape. Question is, how do it get the bbl out of the receiver?. I removed the pin that went through the receiver and bbl and tried to drive it out with a 3lb hammer and brass bar. No good. I'm thinking that I will have to drill out part of the bbl stub and remove metal and hopefully lessen the compression. Last resort would be to go to a bearing shop or get use of a hydraulic press to push out the stub. Any suggestions?. The other question is easy-off oven cleaner. Has anyone used it and what does one do with it. The stock is in good shape (barely) but has a lot of scratches and dents and they are filled with dirt and old oil. There is enough wood so I can try and raise the dents and hopefully remove most of the scratches and stuff. I at one time used a carpet cleaner spray that was designed to remove oil stains from rugs. Spray it on and a white powder would form lifting the oil from the woods pores. Do not have any more. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    You might try a heat gun........The heat gun will bring the oil to the surface of the stock where it can be removed with cheap paper towels.

Go easy with the heat gun and don't stay in one place very long and don't get it too close to the stock.

Best,

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the Easy Off finish remover, mostly on a passel of Turk Mauser stocks. Strip the stock, hang from a coat hanger, spray liberally, wait a few minutes, wash off with the water hose. Repeat as required or desired. On some stocks, this treatment gives a green tint to the wood, but this is not predictable. These days I just let them set in the Nevada sun, wiping with paper towels or burlap (bratis cloth to you miners who can remember when it was burlap instead of yellow plastic). It takes a while, but no nasty poison's, and a lot less sanding when you're done.

Boolit Buddy
    I left out the sensible and needful safety precautions. Use rubber gloves and some form of eye protection. This stuff is pretty nasty so take care of your body parts.

Getting old I guess.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    When using the easy off I also hit the stock good with the green scotchbrite houshold pads, when it is ready to finish I use the same type of pads to cut down the tung oil between coats.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Gents, thanks for tye tips on using easy off. Since all of my chemical abuse to rifle stoccks are done out in the backyard I can attach the stock to a piece of string and then to a branch in my pecen tree, I did some scraping with a sharp balded knjfe and iy did take off quite a bit of olv varnish and crud. Stock still has a bit of a schnobble at the tip with a sling swivel attached to it. There are two holes one for the barrel retaining screw and a hole on the right side for what I guess would be a place for the instructor to insert a small rod to hold the trigger so it would not fire. These I plan to plug up dowels and glue them in. Frank

Frank46---You were using a sharp balded knife? I always thought you had to use a hairy one.

Boolit Master
    Carpetman, Guess this your way of getting even with me regarding the feline launching
    slingshot. Good one on you. Nope was using a old splicers knife that I keep sharp for scraping off the old finish. The stock is really oil soaked as when I scrape it the wood gets a little lighter and over time darkens again. Meowrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!.
    Frank