MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastco Wideners
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Salvaging Range Lead

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    At the moment I too seem to be the only backstop miner out here .

I cheat a little my employer sends me to replace the target backer boards ,I've built some trap boxes that amount to 8" of scrap wood and a piece of 1/8 or 3/16 steel . It stops all of the pistol stuff at the 30 yd line except that guy with the 460 and 500 S&W and the copper slugs. Nets me about 30-40 lbs per month. I sort into cast,jacketed,and 22s. Best part ? I'm paid to do it.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Harter, that's a great idea. If there's a range nearby which has actual backer boards rather than the moveable targets, I'll have to see if I can try that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevejet View Post
    You could just "mine" mall and shopping center parking lots with a pair of WHEEL WEIGHT pliers and very good running shoes!
    fixed for ya steve!....yer welcome.

Boolit Mold
    Years ago when I was stationed in HI, a shipmate whom I was introducing to reloading came home with a very large chunk of lead. He said that he cut off part of the keel weight (with an axe) from a sail boat before they removed the hull carcass. Just listing another source.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

For the guys using the shop vacs you may want to run your hose into a 5 gal bucket then back out to the shop vac. This will work a lot like having the hose looped the heavy will settle in the bucket and the light will keep going. When I mine the range I smelt it all trash rocks grass twits wads and flux it with used motor oil it cleans up nice. With the used motor oil the extra heat from the burning oil will clean the jackets off real good.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Mold
    Do ranges let you do mine for free?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NC Brass View Post
    Do ranges let you do mine for free?
    Some don't allow it at all. Most are OK with you picking up a few chunks by hand as long as you don't interfere with operations. A few will allow mining as long as you repair any damage you do. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

My local, state run, range allows me to pick up what I can during target changing but that's it. However, I've developed a good report with the lead Range Officer and he will actually help me pick up exposed slugs if nobody else is there. He's a caster himself so he understands the value of range pick ups. I find that if you're polite, friendly and follow the rules, you can usually garner the favor of folks which gets you more opportunities.

The range scrap I collect is smelted dirt and all, then fluxed with sawdust or candle wax (whichever I have handy) and then poured into a dollar store muffin tin. When I cast with it, I water drop which hardens the boolits a little. They work fine for my needs, even in my 44mag revolver. YMMV.

Boolit Master

I envy u guys that can still find WW. Here in LaLa land I haven't found anybody willing to part with any in over 20yrs.

The last time I was allowed to buy range lead from LAPD Harbor Div Range, I bought 50lb and it netted me 32 1lb ingots.
    Plus a whole 16.4 oz bottle of propane. It woulda been cheaper to buy from the midway thieves.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    At least in LaLa land you have harbors near (enough) by to maybe get some old keel lead or old dive belts... (emphasis on "old")
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

I'm new here and this is my first post. This past weekend I took an old Grill and smoker to a junk yard , got 13.50 and got 50lbs of wheel weights. it only hand1.5 lbs of zinc and stick on. He only charges me .25/lb

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac90yj View Post
    I'm new here and this is my first post. This past weekend I took an old Grill and smoker to a junk yard , got 13.50 and got 50lbs of wheel weights. it only hand1.5 lbs of zinc and stick on. He only charges me .25/lb
    good score,JMac .
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Jmac90yj welcome on your first post and congrats on the score!!!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I received permission from my local game officer to collect range scrap. I made a screen thing with a milk crate and 1\4" wire screen to shake out the dirt.

Boolit Mold
    Whitetail, this is exactly how I do it and I have more lead than I'll ever use.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Another tip is if your in sandy dry soil a leaf blower and a rake is a good trick. Blow the dirt but up the berm the lead will roll to the base then just rake it up. Bonus is the dirt is back where its needed and it removes wads from slugs and other things like sticks grass or paper from targets.
    I have found you have to modify your mining to the dirt type or wetness of the soil. I have used modified cement mixers dry to washing the dirt out with water leaf blowers and hand shift screens what ever it takes to give the biggest yields.
    Not many ranges let you mine only way I get to mine is to repair the berms and that takes a backhoe every couple of years.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. No posts here in over 5 years.
    I've got 3 or 4 kitty litter buckets, 1/2 full of range scrap. I've smelted 4 pans full. A pan full yields about 1/4th pan full of lead.
    It's smokey work. The buckets are stashed in my shed for when there is nothing else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    My local, state run, range allows me to pick up what I can during target changing but that's it. However, I've developed a good report with the lead Range Officer and he will actually help me pick up exposed slugs if nobody else is there. He's a caster himself so he understands the value of range pick ups. I find that if you're polite, friendly and follow the rules, you can usually garner the favor of folks which gets you more opportunities.

The range scrap I collect is smelted dirt and all, then fluxed with sawdust or candle wax (whichever I have handy) and then poured into a dollar store muffin tin. When I cast with it, I water drop which hardens the boolits a little. They work fine for my needs, even in my 44mag revolver. YMMV.
    Was at the Atglen club in SE PA with my son and found quite a few large caliber cast boolits on the ground down range. Left them on a railing by the benches for a local to use. That Atglen club is really something, gorgeous setting surrounded by old growth hardwoods.

Boolit Master
    If you can harvest the lead when after a dry spell. Screens do not work to good on wet dirt or clay backstops. Ware gloves jackets are sharp!

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned but I did not read all the pages ahead of my post.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Man the first time I posted on this thread was 14 years ago!

My CT Store switched to zinc WW as has most of the tire outfits up here. I just bought tires from another store and he is going to let me pick up his old WW. Mostly zinc but there still is enough lead WW to make it worthwhile when you got nothing else to do. Water quenched WW alloy is all I use for my rifle and handgun bullets.

The pure lead stick on WW, get converted to lead balls for my 1858 Remington.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast