RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaccuum Sealer--a true friend...

Boolit Bub
    We accidentally found a good idea. We buy coffee when its on sale ( about $5 -$6 per big can) and repack them into Quart canning jars, I had some brass running in the tumbler,(in the reloading room) we filled the jars(in the kitchen) capped them, then she took them down & just held the jar on top of the tumbler for about 10 seconds. and it settled the coffee inside the jar down to 3/4 we topped it off and did it again, it saved space in the pantry. kept the coffee fresh when we open the jars they "Pop" just like a jar of peaches (and I got a bunch of plastic tubs for the reloading room.) Probably work for other things like Rice beans etc...

My wife and I started with one of the cheap food savers. It did not make it 9 months.

Then after taking a break from it for a year we picked up a "Nesco" unit that seems to be better built. It certainly has more vacuum.

We have been putting a lot of dry goods into bags, some like 10 lb bag of sugar I can fit inside a bag. No moisture gets in, you can almost instantly see a bag that has lost its seal and use it next. Salt, rice, beans, you name it, it gets sucked into a bag and stored.

I have done divided bags for firesteel tinder. Took a larger bag, sealed it down the middle one way, then divided it into sections the other way. Left the ends open for filling. Once filled went back and sucked and sealed. Dryer lint, cotton balls, match's, a lighter, cotton ball & Vaseline.
    You name it and it can be done. If you double seal the deviders they can be seperated with a scissors when you only want one or two and not the whole thing. Main thing is to plan out what you want and setup accordingly.

We learned that we can keep lettuce fresh 4 times longer by taking a head and "lightly" sucking it. Or even better tear it in halves or quarters and suck each one separately.

What goes bad in 4 days in crisper drawer loose in fridge will last over 3 weeks when sucked.
    Same for other fresh foods. Just use a little common sense.

I don't think I would be without one now.

So far only the cheap food saver bags are debatable on function. We buy most of ours from Amazon in 50 foot rolls. Those last us quite a while, only downside is they don't always fit in the roll holder that well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AAXB30O24BXCY

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive vaccum packed 223 and 308 ammo. works good especially if you want to bury some.

Something Vacuum packed and buried has a great potential to become waterlogged if your container becomes compromised
    Packing it under pressure with inert gas after vacuuming out all the air works better.

CO2 is cheap and slightly heavier than air and works well as a preservation gas.
    Nitrogen is fairly cheap and works better (Leupold fills their scopes with it for a reason)

Argon is nearly twice as dense as "air" and not expensive and is probably the best choice.

The whole point of inert gas is to displace oxygen and to a lesser degree water.
    AND you can dispense with inert gas filling and purging processes and vacuum pumps with one simple trick

Seal up what you want preserved with one or more of those disposable hand warmers they absorb both Oxygen and water leaving only Nitrogen behind

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    Something Vacuum packed and buried has a great potential to become waterlogged if your container becomes compromised
    Packing it under pressure with inert gas after vacuuming out all the air works better.

CO2 is cheap and slightly heavier than air and works well as a preservation gas.
    Nitrogen is fairly cheap and works better (Leupold fills their scopes with it for a reason)

Argon is nearly twice as dense as "air" and not expensive and is probably the best choice.

The whole point of inert gas is to displace oxygen and to a lesser degree water.
    AND you can dispense with inert gas filling and purging processes and vacuum pumps with one simple trick

Seal up what you want preserved with one or more of those disposable hand warmers they absorb both Oxygen and water leaving only Nitrogen behind
    Never thought of that. Good points.

2nd hand vacuum sealer might be good idea for price challenged. I figure no one replaces the seals. I wonder how many know u can buy replacements, they are cheap too. I never have tested my theory, but I will this summer.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Our Nesco unit continues to be a workhorse.

If it laid down I'd have to replace it within a week or 2.

Thankfully it is showing no sign's of problems, still draws a good vacuum.

I have not as of yet sealed any ammo/primers.

Soup I have more and more been freezing in a bread loaf pan. Bring it in thaw the pan just enough to let it release. Take a knife, split the block in half then suck and seal. I get 2 good meals out of half a loaf pan of soup. Mostly freeze Vegetable Beef that I make from scratch.

We also buy couple pounds of Hamburger, pound and a half of mild Italian Sausage and some baby bella mushrooms. Make up a big batch of Spaghetti sauce and freeze 2/3rds of it in single serve vac sealed bags. Lasts forever, no freezer burn, easy good meal when needed, just thaw in microwave and boil pasta.

You can also remove the cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper and vac seal it, takes up a lot less room.

In Remembrance
    I can't see myself vacuum packing any t-paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12