Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccuum Sealer--a true friend...

Vaccuum Sealer--a true friend...

Good lord--I've been here how long and just now discovered this section??? Sad...

BUT, on a happy note, I'll start with some contributing! A few know I teach Mountain Wilderness Survival. So this section of our beloved forum is gonna see some use. I'll start with this. It's a link to my facebook site--one of my articles. Rather that retyping, I'm just sharing the link from one of last fall's tip-of-the-week...

http://www.facebook.com/notes/north-...26662854056587
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    Great tip with the socks, I never thought of vacuuming stuff besides food. I too just found this section and know ill be back a lot.
    You got any tips on canning food? My grandma and mom used to can everything, unfortunately I was too dumb to find out how to can while they were still around.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    There are different types of canning pressure and water-bath and what you use depends on the type food you are canning. Getting started is easy first get a good book there are a lot out there but a good starter book is the Ball Blue Book.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_75o3q6s8wu_e
    I just picked up a new copy on sale at the local Home and Hardware store.

You will want to start canning now before you need it because it is a new skill to learn and you will want time to accumulate the many jars, caps, seals, and other equipment you will need.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Banned

ive vaccum packed 223 and 308 ammo. works good especially if you want to bury some.

Boolit Bub
    I wish we had a "thanks" feature on this forum because it never occurred to me to vac seal my own custom MREs. Great idea for clothing, med gear in a hiking or bug out bag too. I appreciate the helpful idea.

Boolit Buddy
    In my BOB, I have a vacuum sealed heavy fleece jacket. It took some doing to get it in a 11" wide bag, but it is well worth the effort as a space saver.

Boolit Master

Rangefinder;
    Thanks for a great tip.
    Don't feel too bad about overlooking the forum section. I believe it is new(ish?)
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy

good post! We were doing the "seal-a-meal" for our boy scout troop campouts for many years. Scouts met a night or two before the campout and cooked up their food (spaghetti, scrambled eggs, etc) and then vacuum sealed into individual servings. For longer trips, freezing them makes them into ice packs, reducing the ice needed for the coolers. For backpacking, reduced the size, made prep and cleanup so much easier.

Gonna put on my tinfoil hat for a second... But here's something I mentioned briefly in one of the survival manuals I wrote years ago. Book Matches... IF things ever turned sideways/upside-down, a thick stack of $100 bills are worth less than the paper they are printed on. Currency will be in the value of the traded item. How much value could be placed on a simple book of matches sealed in its own little vacuum pouch? Food for thought where SHTF BoB's are concerned...
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

I'm glad to see this thread on vacuum sealers as the Mrs and I have been talking about buying a GOOD one. She has one of the hand held units that use a zip loc bag with a valve made in it, and it's almost junk in my opinion. How about listing some good brands, places to buy them and the supplies needed for their use?
    Thanks in advance,
    Houndog

Boolit Master

I would be interested in recommendations also.

Not a recommendation because I have never tried one but the LDS Store sells an impulse sealer and foil pouches and desiccant packs among other things.
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor...8_-1_N_image_0
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Perma-Banned

Glad I stumbled in here. I just ordered and received a vacuum sealer and various bags from the following link:

http://sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

The prices are very reasonable, and I've transferred 25 pounds of rice from sandwich bags to vacuum sealed bags. Very efficient and easy.
    Book matches would be good, but how about strike anywhere matches? Some of the bags that I got have a zip seal at the closed end, so that after you seal up your product, when you go to open it it's already in it's own resealable pouch.

Looking forward to some good discussions on here.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

If you want to buy a vacuum sealer --- get one that has the Mason jar adaptor for regular and wide mouth jars. It is well worth the extra.
    I vacuum seal up to 2 quart jars and put bees wax on the lids and rings to keep from rusting.
    The Maine constitution gives us the right to be free from Federal Government control. READ THE MAINE CONSTITUTION
    There is a movement to restore these freedoms here in Maine.
    WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MAINE HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE AND BARE ARMS.
    WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MAINE HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER.
    PLEASE GO TO MAINEREPUBLIC.COM

gun con·trol n
    ONE SHOT--- ONE KILL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive vaccum packed 223 and 308 ammo. works good especially if you want to bury some.
    Also for quieting down ammo in the BOB.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

If you want to buy a vacuum sealer --- get one that has the Mason jar adaptor for regular and wide mouth jars. It is well worth the extra.
    I vacuum seal up to 2 quart jars and put bees wax on the lids and rings to keep from rusting.
    The Maine constitution gives us the right to be free from Federal Government control. READ THE MAINE CONSTITUTION
    There is a movement to restore these freedoms here in Maine.
    WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MAINE HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE AND BARE ARMS.
    WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MAINE HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER.
    PLEASE GO TO MAINEREPUBLIC.COM

gun con·trol n
    ONE SHOT--- ONE KILL

Cast Boolits Owner

Please excuse my ignorance, what is a BOB?

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    Also for quieting down ammo in the BOB.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Cast Boolits Owner

I was part of a group buy on a band saw style meat saw, a Hobart commercial meat slicer and a Food Saver brand vacuum sealer. The Food Saver brand sealer did not last very long and factory support was minimal.

I currently am using a Kenmore vacuum sealer model 69943 ---> View item here <--- and still use the Food Saver brand bags. I have found that the pre-made bags are ok but the bulk roll is much better since the bags can be made to size. It has the capability to seal items which are wet or dry and also seal jars when using the correct adapters.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, what is a BOB?
    BOB=Bug Out Bag Wikipedia has a pretty good writeup although some would question their emphasis on 72 hours.
    Blacksmith

Boolit Master

Thanks for the information guys! Me and the Mrs are looking at the recomendations that have been posted and she's going to the sears store to check out the Kenmore offerings. I appreciate the heads up on the Mason jar adapter! We home can and dehydrate lots of different things and that looks real intresting. PLEASE keep en coming!

Houndog

Beekeeper
    Something I did for years before I got a sealer was to fill the ziploc bag , close it almost all the way and dip it into water almost to the ziploc.
    The water forces the air out and closing the ziploc the rest of the way sure saved a lot of fish for me.
    Now I have a food saver and don't go fishing.Go figure!

beekeeper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast