Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: phillips head anyone ?

Boolit Buddy
    With your talent for the off the wall mold, buy the CNC and you can get enough money to buy the bike and somebody to mantain it also. The .45 phillips looks interesting, I would also like to know how they perform in gel. I think with the cutouts the phillips would flaten out easier but I've been wrong before.
    AggieEE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    With your talent for the off the wall mold, buy the CNC and you can get enough money to buy the bike and somebody to mantain it also. The .45 phillips looks interesting, I would also like to know how they perform in gel. I think with the cutouts the phillips would flaten out easier but I've been wrong before.
    AggieEE
    I agree with this. Buy the CNC and it will pay for your other habits. Would love to see how the .45 Phillips performs.

Guys, I just unpacked a small box of "samples" that arrived in the mail. I am wiping tears of joy off my face... Stunning, just stunning. The quality of these little boolits when you see them in person is just fantatstic. Not only can this fellow design and cut precision moulds, but he can cast. They are so perfect I really did weep just a bit but it was mostly because I laughed so hard at seeing some of the rediculous ideas come to life. The little wingnut is pricless. Some of them will probably shoot really well if I can bring myself to load them up.

Got some pics but its gonna take a while, never posted pics before will have to go read up on it.

Banned
    Noob here and just found this thread. These are awesome!!! Me being a Auto Tech I love the screw driver designs!

Boolit Master

Oldpara, those are some nice Gs's. I spent the time a couple years ago to bring an '81 550T back from the grave and it sure was fun. But you are right. It now sits neglected in my barn while I cast boolits!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Guys, I just unpacked a small box of "samples" that arrived in the mail. I am wiping tears of joy off my face... Stunning, just stunning. The quality of these little boolits when you see them in person is just fantatstic. Not only can this fellow design and cut precision moulds, but he can cast. They are so perfect I really did weep just a bit but it was mostly because I laughed so hard at seeing some of the rediculous ideas come to life. The little wingnut is pricless. Some of them will probably shoot really well if I can bring myself to load them up.

Got some pics but its gonna take a while, never posted pics before will have to go read up on it.
    I too have to agree. The samples I received were better than I cast. This man is truly an artist that cares about his trade.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I giggled like a kid at Christmas when I got mine. Made my wife crazy showing her each one and pointing out the details. Been carrying around in the truck in a 20 round ammo box, showing them to anyone that will sit still long enough. Still haven't gotten around to mounting any in brass like I promised...
    I think the little bomblet is the $#!+.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    What does that little CNC milling machine cost? Way back in 1988, I worked in a fabrication shop that had a CNC mill and lathe and the number bandied about then was $ 1,000,0000.00 each. Those were fairly big machines and CNC technology was fairly new then.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snake river marksman View Post
    What does that little CNC milling machine cost? Way back in 1988, I worked in a fabrication shop that had a CNC mill and lathe and the number bandied about then was $ 1,000,0000.00 each. Those were fairly big machines and CNC technology was fairly new then.
    I imagine some are still that kind of money, but the average price for a good, accurate cnc machining center is 75K and up.
    There are decent cnc mills for 20k-60k. Still alot of money.
    Bench top style cnc mills run some less but quality/durability/parts and customer support can be an issue with some imports.
    Quality/durability/parts and customer support are really important, especially customer support. If you're down you want help from people who know the product. Some sell maint. agreements to customers for fairly big money so they'll always be someone there to assist. On one of our wire EDM machines the yearly maint aggreement cost is $3500.00......
    I haven't given up hope on getting my old mill, few more months will tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    I giggled like a kid at Christmas when I got mine. Made my wife crazy showing her each one and pointing out the details. Been carrying around in the truck in a 20 round ammo box, showing them to anyone that will sit still long enough. Still haven't gotten around to mounting any in brass like I promised...
    I think the little bomblet is the $#!+.

mike
    Yeah, what a fun thing to open up a package and find those! I bored the **** out of my wife too!

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I too have to agree. The samples I received were better than I cast. This man is truly an artist that cares about his trade.

Slim
    Is he ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Yeah, what a fun thing to open up a package and find those! I bored the **** out of my wife too!
    Somehow alot of women just don't seem to get it, what's up with that ?
    But at least my wife pretends to be impressed, kind of......

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    How bout this one from the Firearms Museum. I have a colt and would love to make the coffin that holds the vampire slayer.

Attachment 60852
    How about one like this except with the face of Obama or biden on bloomberg . wouldn't they be honoured. Haha

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
    How about one like this except with the face of Obama or biden on bloomberg . wouldn't they be honoured. Haha
    Those elite boys get a little cranky when you make fun of them, but it's a thought..

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

can you replicate miss boolette?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    can you replicate miss boolette?
    And who might Miss boolette be ?
    I don't get around much...

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

the girl riding the boolit ,, part of the logo above the forum.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy

I was finally able to finish the first softserve mold.

Well, I was able to get the first mold finished and I thought it looked pretty good (until I cast some bullets)....
    I guess I missed something in the programming, it wasn't following the surfaces as I'd expected and I just didn't see it.
    I just had that feeling about this mold, I was trying a simpler method and got bit.
    I have another program from a different CAM program so I'll try that at some point after I go through it and make as sure as possible it isn't going to make a mess of this machine.
    It was postproccessed for a similar controller but not the exact model I have.

Anyway here's what I got. It weighs 162gr lino but is a no go.

The bullet on top is 90' to the parting line and looks fine.
    The problem is the bottom bullet which is on the parting line.
    The algorithm didn't follow the surfaces as I expected, so, bad bullet.

It's doubly dissapointing because the mold casts great and the bullets fell right out of the mold with a little tap.
    Wife says "just don't look at it from the side" Grrrrrrrrrrr

I had done this one a couple months ago but was in no hurry to get it home.
    It's a two cavity, just regular bullets, the RN is modeled after a bullet I use to buy for my Jap rifle, Speer .313 175gr RN.
    Haven't been able to buy them for years now so I thought I'd try to duplicate it in lead.
    The other is a Lyman 311467 or close to it. That one took some time and mold smoking to get it to start dropping from the mold properly.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    the girl riding the boolit ,, part of the logo above the forum.
    Oh, of course.... Boy do I feel like an idiot.

I might be able to model it, but the detail would kill me, both in modeling and in trying to figure out a way to cut a metal mold.
    A stylized version would be more doable from a two piece metal mold standpoint.
    Don't get me wrong, in the white metal casting/die casting industry, they would knock that out in a New York min.
    Or in the lost wax industry, no problem in rubber, but me, not so much at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpara View Post
    The bullet on top is 90' to the parting line and looks fine.
    The problem is the bottom bullet which is on the parting line.
    The algorithm didn't follow the surfaces as I expected, so, bad bullet.
    Ach, bummair!
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast