Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Redding Profile Crimp Die - 357 vs 38/357

Boolit Master

Redding Profile Crimp Die - 357 vs 38/357

Since they have one die that does 38/357, is there some significant reason to choose the 357 only die if it's to be dedicated for that cartridge?

I have a set of dies set up for each 38spl and 357mag, for use in an LNL AP. Basically I'm lazy and don't like to keep resetting the dies. I've been using a Lee seating die with the thimble backed out all the way to roll crimp 38's, but I have a 38/357 profile crimp die I use for 357.

The problem I've run into is that with a bullet I began casting recently, the Lee die likes to cut a divot out of the bullet when the ram is raised. I think this is primarily caused by the LNL's retaining spring tilting the case slightly at station 5. Last night I noticed that the Redding die has more of a bevel on the id, so I plugged it in and the divot problem was solved. If I had a lathe I would just go ahead and match the bevel of the Lee to that of the Redding. The proper counter sink or shipping it someone to "fix" would probably cost overall more than a new Redding, so I figured I'd just get another die. So this is where I'm wondering, since I can dedicate one to 357, would that be preferable to just getting another 38/357 die?

BTW, the Lee die crimps just fine, but I'll search the classifieds here for another Redding.

Boolit Master

Get a Redding die spacer kit ! it will solve your woes !
    Get the 38/357 die ! You never know in the furture you may want to use it for 38 special
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 02-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.