WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman All American Turret Press

Boolit Bub

Lyman All American Turret Press

I bought a Lyman All American Turret Press at an Estate Sale. I really like the press. I installed an adapter so that I can use the standard shell holders. It comes loose all the time. Is there any kind of supply of the shell holders that the press was designed for? It's not so annoying that I am not going to continue to use it. Just like to put the issue totally behind me.

On Heaven's Range

My A-A press also has the adapter, but mine gives no problems.

The original shell-holders are the "Type J", and they can often be found on Ebay. The number for each case size seems to be the same for Lyman's newer type of shell-holders, meaning that, for instance, a #3 type J accepts the same case head as a current-production Lyman #3. Just make sure you KNOW what case size you need before bidding on a shell-holder. Most sellers will specify, but not all.

The A-A is a great press.

P.S.: I just did an Ebay search for "Lyman shell-holder" and came up with a wide variety of J-type 'holders. It would be worthwhile to take a look.
    Last edited by BruceB; 01-27-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Bruce. I really like my press as well. I had two Rock Chuckers and have now retired on and sent it to my son-in-law. This was a nearly new press and I bought it for $25.00. I will be looking for shell holders. Mine adapter just seems to get loose. I have been forming 300 Blackout brass and maybe that is doing it...I'm not sure. Have a great day!

Boolit Master
    Of the eight or nine presses I have, some progressives and singles and turrets, My Lyman AA is my go to press. It does all I need it to do and does it very well. It's action is so very smooth. it's just a pleasure to use. I did make an adapter for the most popular shell holders and it worked out very good. If I were to be burried I would have my coffin modified to store that press.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I call mime, my little tank. While it is not the Behemonth that the Hollywoods are, I am quite surprised that more folks don't use these little wonders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AllAmerican.jpg  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master
    Your adaptor problem may be that you aren't getting the setscrew's point set into the divot on the shaft of the adaptor... or maybe there isn't a little indent there as there should be. I dislike the adaptor because of the loss of available space between the die and the shell holder... important for the longest rifle cartridges. Anyway, unless you are going to load a very broad range of cartridges, a relatively small number of shell holders will fill your needs, and they really aren't that expensive when you consider how well you did on the purchase of the press.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I bought one used about 1972 and although I have a few others, it and a Dillon 550 are the two I use. I have the adapter and it has never came loose. The primer feed is junk but I don't use it, I just hand place primers and have been very happy with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I bought one used about 1972 and although I have a few others, it and a Dillon 550 are the two I use. I have the adapter and it has never came loose. The primer feed is junk but I don't use it, I just hand place primers and have been very happy with it.
    Like you, I bought the primer feed set-up for mine... then I never took it out of the box after I saw what a Rube Goldberg device it was. I like to hand prime anyway with either my 310 tools or the old Lee hand priming tool with screw in shell holders. The shell holders for both are getting a little hard to find (or expen$ive) but you only need a half dozen or so to cover most "normal" cartridges you reload. BTW, I had the 16 and 20 ga die sets for mine (like LUBEDUDE'S 12 ga) but since I shoot so little shotgun, it wasn't worth my time to reload for them and they got sold long ago.

All in all, the All American is a fine, heavy duty press and makes a good centerpiece to just about anybody's reloading bench. Its only weakness, if you can call it that, is the shell holder, and there are work-arounds for that.

Froggie

Lyman should have stuck with the AA design, ..although that can be said of a lot of things.

Boolit Master

Somebody long back wanted a primer arm and primer tubes for his AA and I've lost the message. Here's what I have and I'd assume he'd want the eccentric post and spring also. The other gadget is the primer catcher I use with a little sawdust in it for padding. Works reasonably well.

Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    I am looking for a complete primer arm for my AA if anyone has one for sale please let me Know
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I am looking for a complete primer arm for my AA if anyone has one for sale please let me Know
    That would be the one in my post back a couple spaces? PM me and I'm more than willing to part with mine.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Le Loup Solitaire
    The Lyman AA press was and still is very popular. It is a good design and operates smoothly. There is however some reservation & concern about the primer feed. It has the primers stacked vertically and this is not considered to be an ideal setup safety-wise. If for any reason a primer detonates there is no protection against an explosion of other primers in the tube. A condition known as dusting could cause this; if the user stacks primers in the feed tube then it is important to clean the tube often to prevent this from happening. Some mention of this is made in early writings in some loading manuals. LLS

Boolit Master
    I like your primer catcher. I use a baby jar lid with a Hole drilled in the center to let the primer seater to advance. sometimes it works good , sometimes it doesn't
    overall I think Lyman press overall is still the best.simple reliable and will outlast a lifetime of use
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost