Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Gun Show Gewehr 98

Gun Show Gewehr 98

Just got back from a new gun show, wasn't expecting much since it was pretty small but turned the corner and lone behold there was this awesome rifle sitting there! Here are some pictures, was wondering if we could get a little more info on the history and especially on the, if any, precautionary measures when loading for it, like pressure issues or what bullet types it likes. Funny how we went in looking for a .38 revolver and left with a 1913 gewehr 98, but for $285.00 we could not pass it up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_000214.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	59644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_00068.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	59645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_00074.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	59646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_000212.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	59647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_000312.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	59648

I collect gew98's and have several dozen of them. Love to see more pics of your gewehr and more details/pics. My 1913 Amberg is a bolt only mismatch marked to an Prussian infantry regiment on the disc.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master

Mine prefers 220 gr Sierra and in cast Lyman 323471 215 gr. They will handle any 8x57 ammo. You don't have to baby it at all. Do a headspace check with actual gauges. Mine passes a field gauge test. My rifle came out of Turkey. Mauser Oberndorf 1917.

It shoots a lot better with a scope .

What other pictures would you like to see?

Ot ; pics like Left & Right side of receiver. Barrel code = markings betwen the rear sight and receiver - usually under the wood.And stock cartouces on the R/S and stock disc.What parts match and which don't.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

Name:	DSC00846.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	59844

Name:	DSC00854.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	59845

Name:	DSC00845.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	59846

pick this one up a few years back for $100

D; please do more on your 1914 oberndorf !!. My 1914 obie is all matched but the handguard ( I got it duffle cut hence the long lost handguard ). That year oberndorf is extremely hard to find matching and or in at least bolt mismatch trim.

well this weekend i will go get it from my brothers house in take better pictures. i do know that the only thing odd is that the bolt has the serial# x out n the serial# re stamped into it other then that every thing else is matching
    Last edited by dlamp; 01-31-2013 at 12:10 AM.

D ; That is a very common trait regarding german rifles of the great war - bolt so renumbered. The germans had an industrious salvage mentality and recycled damaged and recovered small arms on a huge scale. German armorers from unit level to the arsenals participated in the repair and 'rebuilding' of rifles etc etc .Such repaired rifles ranged from simple bolt replacement to complete and factory thorough rebuild. Some will look crude , but they were stressed mightily in the early part of the conflict to get the rifles back in the troops hands.

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    gew98, I am also a fan of gew 98's but also stray into gew 88's, kar 98's and 88's,sporters, ect. My feeling is that most (or all?) of the pre-1914 gew 98's are of somewhat limited production and have suffered a very high attrition rate. I have to believe there are some very rare date/arsenal combinations. Has that been reseached to any degree? Does anyone know or suspect what dates/arsenals are the least seen and hardest to find? John

Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    gew98, I am also a fan of gew 98's but also stray into gew 88's, kar 98's and 88's,sporters, ect. My feeling is that most (or all?) of the pre-1914 gew 98's are of somewhat limited production and have suffered a very high attrition rate. I have to believe there are some very rare date/arsenal combinations. Has that been reseached to any degree? Does anyone know or suspect what dates/arsenals are the least seen and hardest to find? John
    John ; I too have a warm spot for gew88's and 91's. Iv'e got a handfull of nice matching 88's and a matched gew91....though I got rid of my kar88's as they oddly enough did not peak my interest enough.
    Anyhow surprising as it may seem the germans produced some remarkable numbers of gew98's before 1914 ( in spurts of course ) .

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    John ; I too have a warm spot for gew88's and 91's. Iv'e got a handfull of nice matching 88's and a matched gew91....though I got rid of my kar88's as they oddly enough did not peak my interest enough.
    Anyhow surprising as it may seem the germans produced some remarkable numbers of gew98's before 1914 ( in spurts of course ) .
    Gew98;The larger production rate must of been from 1899 to 1906, i see those dates most often. But from 1907 to 1912 not so much, And then only with low s/n's. I have a 1908 Danzig That seems to be typical of existing rifles from 07 to 12 ; low s/n 1958 and low survival rate. Its the only one with that date/arsenal that i have ever seen. Also,I'm a little surprised you are not more interested in kar 88's but how about those kar 98's? some nice early ones show up occasionally. John

Name:	bbb.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	60466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	60467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	60468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cccc.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	60469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gg.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	60470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jj.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	60471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	60472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	llll.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	60473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oo.jpg 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	60474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www.jpg 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	60475

Everthing matches, except the bolt.

Dutchman what mount is that on the gew looks like a good one ,I am gettin to that stage where the 63 year old eyes don t want to see the irons too good anymore .I have peep sights on most but that looks like awinner of a scope mount ( what type of glass also ?)

Ott ; excellent pics !!. Your rifle is I'd say is better condition than my 13 Amberg from what I see. But I kept my rifle though bolt mismatch because of the regimental marked disc. Is your cleaning rod #66 as well ?. If not I may very well have a # 66 rod in my tackle box of gew98 rods.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bart55 View Post
    Dutchman what mount is that on the gew looks like a good one ,I am gettin to that stage where the 63 year old eyes don t want to see the irons too good anymore .I have peep sights on most but that looks like awinner of a scope mount ( what type of glass also ?)
    My mount. Only one like it. It now has a NcStar 2-7x32 handgun scope as that particular scope is better suited for this application.
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/better-mousetrap.html
    I'm going to make a better version of this one as I'd like it to be able to come rearward another 1" for better eye relief adjustment.

It's a lot of machining compared to the other long eye relief scope mounts I've made which means it's more expensive. About $125. I don't expect too much demand for it for there's not much else (there's nothing else) out there for this model rifle.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    GOD I love these ole guy's.Thanks for the pic's.
    Fly

Our cleaning rod doesn't match, we have a number 20, if you ever wanted to trade we sure would be interested. By the way, we know we got a good price for where we live, but were wondering how much a gewehr in this condition fetches else where?

Thanks, Thomas

Ott ; When I get home in a week or so I'll go through my list and let you know if I have the #66 rod. I trade rods and small parts for gew98's fairly often being I have over a hundred pounds of gew98 parts horded.

Almost forgot ; value is relative to alot of factors like condition condition and finding the right collector to get top dollar. Bolt mismatch gew98's that are not unit marked can be a hard item to move for 'fair money'. Myself personally I would put such a rifle in the $400 range for my likes. I prefer matching rifles of course but do pick up bolt mismatch rifles if regimental marked. Sanded wood is usually the kiss of death to collectors like myself. I'd rather have a fair condition overall , matching gew98 with original finish wood & metal than a minty metal matching gew98 some bubba decided to pimp shine the wood on and or reblued.