RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR De-Rimming machine finished and operating

In Remembrance

.22 LR De-Rimming machine finished and operating

I have owed you guys a video of my de-rimming machine for a while now.
    My best friend, Andy Q, came up today to assist with transferring fuel oil from the barn to the house, and I had him hold the camera while I ran the machine.
    You had seen previous videos, during the construction and test phase. The machine no runs flawlessly, using BT Sniper's de-rimming die set.
    The machine runs horizontally, to make it easy to eject brass out the top.

Here's the machine, set up in my reloading room:

Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 01-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

You are the next Vernon Speer DUke. THis I assume will work with the other dies for core seating & point forming? Well done!
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Nice work!!

Boolit Master
    Duke, if you mount your actuator button on the rear or back side of your press frame, you can then use your left hand to mount the case and push the button, alleviating the need for a proximity switch or photocell as a safety.

Very nicely done by the way. Always liked using pneumatics to make things happen. Also admire "value engineering"; producing something that is of comparatively greater value to that of its collective components.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Very Nice!

In Remembrance

I won't take complete credit, or even partial credit for the idea.
    My mentor, BT Sniper, was the genesis for the idea. He also has a working pneumatic system.
    I just didn't want to crank on the swage press handle for every jacket.

So, I gathered as much information as I could, from as many sources as I could, and formulated a plan for an inexpensive solution.
    Piece of I-beam from the scrap metal yard....... some plate steel from a buddy..... a cheap cylinder from eBay (you have to be patient when trying to save money on eBay)... some creative welding and fabricating..... A custom machined ram (THanks, Kev!)...... some adjustment to the de-rimming die et (THanks, BRian)... Some trial and error to get the brass to eject well (horizontal fixed that)....

I doubt that I will be doing any swaging on that machine. It really likes to go just Clunk - Clunk..... In and Out.... fast and powerfully.... not what is needed with the rest of the swaging process..... So, it will likely be just for derimming.

I really do need to mount th controls better, specially the actuator switch. Might do that all this week. My goal was to fill a yellow bucket with derimmed brass soon, and begin the process of assembling swaged bullets.

One of the bottle necks has been the annealing. So, again following the teachings of my mentor, BT Sniper, I received in a Lee 20 pound pot, and will start annealing the brass in that. Hope to have a yellow bucket of annealed jackets prepped by next weekend.

If anyone needs dimensions, details, etc... I would be happy to oblige. I would encourage all of you to build one. Sure beats cranking on the press handle!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Hi Duke, Really nice machine, I think I'm jealous. Some time in the future I will build one. So, the 20lb pot, just put the jackets in and heat them up? Do you put a cover over the pot? What temp? I know like a little kid with a thousand questions.
    Thanks
    Pete

Cast Boolits Owner

That is a wonderful set up. If you do not mind I would like to copy it for personal use.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

OSHA will be all over you if you don't install a two-hand control, Duke ! Been there, done that.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

In Remembrance

BT Sniper tells me that the bottom 1/3 of the pot is the only portion that has the heater coil in it. SO, only fill 1/3 full.
    Temp on high, so that it gets to 700 degrees (sufficient for full anneal in brass)
    Cover on top.
    When annealed, dump out hot brass into a bucket of water with Lemishine in it. Tumble as needed.

REPEAT

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    Hi Duke, Really nice machine, I think I'm jealous. Some time in the future I will build one. So, the 20lb pot, just put the jackets in and heat them up? Do you put a cover over the pot? What temp? I know like a little kid with a thousand questions.
    Thanks
    Pete

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information.

Boolit Master
    WOW! Very slick. When you decide to mass produce these let me know.

Joe
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy
    Holy cow that's nice! Great build Duke!

Boolit Buddy
    Great job but that is not fair!!!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

So I got a blister doing mine for nothing Nice Job enjoy your light bill lol
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

NICE piece of work! George Kelby has his swaging press setup similarly except he used a hydraulic cylinder instead of Air If you want to use it for swaging just put a flow control valve in the forward motion air feed line to slow the stroke down. I actually like your pneumatic setup better than using hydraulics! If you have an uh-oh moment the air setup will be MUCH more forgiving as far as breaking parts.

Boolit Master
    Very nice sir!
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Bub
    That's awsome!!

Vendor Sponsor

Looks perfect Duke! Yep! Power is the best way to go at deriming 22lr brass. Being able to sell such a machine is an OSHA PITA! Simple two hand anti tie down units start at $250! Just for the Buttons! Then the materials and liability $$$$

How much would it be worth to you guys to own such a machine and allow you to easily derim 22lr brass with no effort at upwards of 1K per hour or more?

I have been looking into it for a long time and the advantages are obvious yet it might be a little spendy. I paid nearly $600 for mine and still needed to purcase a $250 two hand anti tie down. Don't let me steel the thread but here is mine at work. I made it look like it was automatic to make it more dramtic, the control buttons are located off screen and I am sizing 5.7 brass to 30 cal but concept is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp22uIuu1yc

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

Forgot.... the annealing in the lead pot.... just like Duke said, fill pot 1/3 of the way, highest temp, cover, stir midway threw and 10 minutes seems to be about right.

I think a stainless steel screen of some sort would be good to keep brass from contacting the edge of lead pot, I'm looking into it. Obvioulsy you do not want any lead from a dirty pot to get on your brass.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast