Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knurling wheels

Knurling wheels

I made a knurling tool to knurl straight sided boolits once swagged. The wheel I made from the handle of an old ratchet. It has poor structure to it. Does anyone know where one can get knurling wheels or what do you guys that made tools use?

Boolit Master

I have a CH4D cannilure tool. I have 5 knurling wheels. The diamond pattern is about 1/4in and they have a .250 hole in the center. I was going to try to cut off the end of the CH4D cannilure wheel and pin one of my knurling wheels to the bottom. I talked to Dave at CH4D and he didn't think that was a good idea because the shaft the cannilure wheel is on is too hard but he remembered about 10yrs ago he made a shaft with about a 7/16 diamond knurling wheel on the end for a guy who is dead now but he said as long as he had the setup he made about a dozen & he would try to find them and to call back in the AM. I did and the guy I talked to knew where they were and got one. He said they might have a custom price on them if he could find it. Otherwise it would be regular price. Well I got it for regular price of 13 something $. That was last Thursday & it should arrive Mon or Tues.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Try ENCO or MSC Industrial

Boolit Buddy
    There the place to go, Enco has them also McMaster Carr

Boolit Master

if your wanting to "Knurl" Lead bullets for lube I went the lathe knurling route because I am a Tool n Die maker and that was the first thought that came to mind. I found it to be a mistake. It kinda works but not really. Rather than "Knurl" your bullets what your really wanting to do is emboss them. all you need is a Roll with the knurl pattern on it it will transfer to the bullet a lot easier than knurling. You can find this in lots of places like a ratchet handle or any other knurled object. Good luck.

Boolit Master

I probably am using the wrong terminology. The wheel I will receive from CH4D will knurl or emboss a diamond pattern on a naked lead bullet in the same way it applies a cannelure to a jacketed bullet. I am not even sure if it is necessary, or a good thing to do but I will find out. Some of us like to reinvent the wheel. It will probably increase the diameter of the bullet slightly but with a couple thousanths flare on the case mouth the should seat normally. We'll see how they shoot.

Bob
    Last edited by midnight; 01-28-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

no you were using the right terminology. I was just saying from a machinist/toolmaker perspective that its not the same thing. I had an old lathe knurling tool that didn't work very well. here is a picture of a couple 44 slugs I swage then "Knurl" I believe it really helps holding the lube. I tumble lube with 45/45/10 or just straight up LLA thinned a bit with mineral spirits. It is worth doing.

Boolit Master

3006: Your bullets are exactly what I am trying to do. I just got the knurling wheel today and tried it. My bullets look just like your pics.

Bob

Are you refering to something like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knurling-Whe...item1c21804786

Boolit Master

I think he wants a wheel with a knurled pattern on it so it will make indentations on the boolits.

What diameter and width do you want? What size hole in the center?
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 01-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Master

The knurling wheels on ebay are those that attach to a "Y" shaped holder. There are two wheels because one is right hand and one is left hand. They are held in the toolpost on your lathe. To use it the "work", the bullet, would have to turn and the wheels brought against it. I believe this is how you would knurl a die body . You would have to chuck up each bullet to use that type of tool. With the CH4D tool the knurling wheel turns and drives the bullet against two rollers. The wheel is held against the bullet with finger pressure. It works fine. Maybe tomorrow I can take some pictures and post them. I'm going to bed now.

Bob

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH4D cannelure tool 001.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	59784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH4D cannelure tool 002.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	59785I've been trying all morning to post pics of the CH4D cannelure tool with the knurling wheel attached. Can't seem to make the new format here work. The old one was so easy. I'll try again,

Bob

Finally it worked. Now if I can only remember how I did it!

Boolit Master

Looks Good.

That is exactly what I want to do. I used to shoot wadcutters with this knurling on them. It holds a tumble lube nicely. I have the tool but no knurling wheel. I tryed making one from a knurled ratchet handle, wasn't right. Great pics guys. Luv it.

I called Bryan today at CH4D and have a wheel coming just like Midnights. I'm Berry Sucited....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver Shooter View Post
    I called Bryan today at CH4D and have a wheel coming just like Midnights. I'm Berry Sucited....
    How much $?

Boolit Master

Bryan may charge a different price than I paid. The regular price for a cannelure wheel is $13. Bryan said ther might be a custom price if he could find it. He didn't find a custom price immediatly and didn't want to keep me on the phone forever so he charged me the regular $13 price. Don't be suprised if he has found a custom price in the meantime. I don't want people to say, " Bob got it for $13 so I want that price too". At least CH4D doesn't have a one size fits all policy like our gubermint. They seem to allow their employees to use their own judgement.

Bob

It cost me $13.?? and some shipping I guess. That's one heck of a deal. Good people.

Boolit Master

Great price!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH4D cannelure tool 001.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	59784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH4D cannelure tool 002.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	59785I've been trying all morning to post pics of the CH4D cannelure tool with the knurling wheel attached. Can't seem to make the new format here work. The old one was so easy. I'll try again,

Bob

Finally it worked. Now if I can only remember how I did it!
    I have the same setup from CH4D. I got it from Dave Davison, and it might have been the last one, as it was from a special run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast