Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-H Enfield Loads

Boolit Buddy

P-H Enfield Loads

Figuered it would be better to start a new thread. Just got a P-H 1853 Enfield 1-78" twist. I will be ordering some Swiss FFG. I would like to try some PRB and Minies. Which would you recommend. I am accuracy anal and intend this as my hunting rifle for deer and hogs here in FL. Deer are small and hogs are pretty big. They aren't very tough to kill. Accuracy is king. I want to order a new nipple.....any recommendations?

Boolit Master
    I once used my Enfield for elk using 75 gr of FFF Goex and patched round ball until I decided it was too pretty to take out in the brutal monsoon rain on the Washington Coast (I switched to a plastic stock stainless side lock muzzleloader). My 2-band Enfield shoots remarkably well with patched round ball and they are a lot easier to cast than mini's. I like round ball a lot better for game and especially deer in any muzzleloader caliber above 45.

Boolit Buddy
    PRB is what I am really looking to shoot. I guess a .570 with a .010 patch would be best. Or would a different combo be best?
    Last edited by Mike.44; 01-27-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Boolit Master

.010 patch sounds too thin to me I would start with washed pillow ticking and see how that fits. You want a load that starts easy enough but tight enough not to get any blowby. It'll take some expermenting to see what the rifle likes best.

Good luck and happy shooting.

RB

Keep in mind that the Enfield has progressive depth rifling, starting deeper at the breech and getting shallower to the muzzle. The shallow rifling is designed for the Minie bullet, not PRB, so this may have some bearing on patch thickness. I've never fired PRB in my Enfields, but some report good results. Here in the UK we shoot Enfield rifles out to 800 yards in competition so a Minie is essential.

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Boolit Master
    Mike, if you are hoping to use the swaged .570 balls from Speer or Hornady, you won't be able to get a much thicker patch down the bore. If you find your patches are getting blown, consider using a wad on top of the powder, followed by the PRB down good and snug. You'll want an Ampco nipple, available from Dixie, the Gun Works and many other sellers.

The problem i have is with a clean barrel and Minie's the first shot is often(not always) a squib or tumbles.i shoot the first at the berm but you cant do that hunting!You would need to figure a way to keep the Minie' firmly on the powder while walking about.A PRB would be a better hunting option tough i feel the Minie is the best way to use enjoy these guns.I would take the reacheachpress guys info as gold as he is across the pond an shoots many originals.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    Big difference between historically correct, acceptable loads, loading techniques, as issued sights, etc. for "proper" competitions and re-enactments and practical big game hunting needs. Instead of investing in a mold or molds then trying to get the RB or minie to work. The most practical way would be to get a sample of a few different RBs and minies, try them out, then invest in the mold (s) that work.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Big difference between historically correct, acceptable loads, loading techniques, as issued sights, etc. for "proper" competitions and re-enactments and practical big game hunting needs. Instead of investing in a mold or molds then trying to get the RB or minie to work. The most practical way would be to get a sample of a few different RBs and minies, try them out, then invest in the mold (s) that work.
    good points on "proper"

George

Boolit Buddy
    Fouronesix......that is the approach I am taking. When I find what works I wll then invest in a mold. I just ordered the rb and patches. Guess I should get some Minies too.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good. Also, a fabric store or fabric section at wallyworld, etc. is your friend. Once you figure out a good RB and patch thickness combo it's very easy to find a comparable tight weave cotton in a fabric store or fabric department and buy it by the yard. Easy to match up material thickness by using a mic or calipers. Then just pre-cut the patches yourself or cut at the muzzle.

As to the minie sizes to try. Knowing the tight nature of most P-H .577s, I'd think a minie of either .575 or .576 would be worth trying first.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help guys

My two PH 1858's dont like a bullet bigger than .575 and a .579 has to be beat down the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I was wondering which size Minie to order.

Boolit Master
    Mike, I have heard of good results from the Lyman 575213PH in the 1:48 Parker Hales and the new Pedersoli, but I believe there is another Lyman with a deeper cavity (which moves the center of gravity forward) that is more stable and accurate out of the 1:78 P53 barrel. Perhaps the good Mr. Minshall will clarify this.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.....Hope Minshall chimes in.

The general view appears to be as Albert noted, with the deeper base cavity bullet shooting better in the P.53 and the shallow base cavity in the faster twist P.58. I shoot an RCBS shallow base cavity bullet in my original Short Rifle (similar to the P.58 / P.60).

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a batch from Track of the Wolf to see how they fly. Just have to wait on my 2F powder to arrive......grrrr.....only have 3f right now. Hmmmm....wonder if anyone has used 3F in this musket before? I hear others talk of using it as it is supposedly closer to the granulation size of the original powder.

Boolit Master

I use 35 grns fffg in my Uro arms two band with the Lyman ( dang I can't find my mould chart) any the light target mini with a dab of crisco in the base. shoots good at 50 and 100. Well as good as I can shoot.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dirt Farmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast