Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 VS Lee Basic Loader

Boolit Mold

Lyman 310 VS Lee Basic Loader

Most folks, myself included, rely on a bench press reloading setup for their loading tasks. However, if I'm doing an extended primitive backpacking trip, with only a handgun to feed, and am otherwise denied access to conventional loading equipment, then what would be the next best equivalent?

I'm excluding the Lee Hand Press from this question because I want to set up the most compact and portable single caliber reloading kit possible. Assumptions are for .38/.357 with a custom dipper for ideal load, some primers in a tube, and a small amount of powder and boolits. These are givens. I must decide whether a Lee or 310 loader will give best results.

My concern is whether the Lee kit is simpler and more robust, or if the 310 kit (handle and one die set) will be adequate. I know that the Lee will require a hammer of some kind, and a firm base to work from. The 310 setup requires no extra stuff, but I wonder if it would last, and there are also more little fiddly parts that could possibly be lost.

So amigos, if you HAD to select one of the two, what would it be?

Boolit Man
    I use the 310 alot for several calibers. I've always liked it. And I've always had used sets and never had any problems with them, except breaking decapper pins when I get too impatient. Also used the Lee Loader some but didn't seem as comfortable to me. Now, the Lee Loaders are getting way more expensive so the comparison cost is less. 310 is my preference. I do like Lee trimmers and other hand tools though. JMHO...

Banned
    310 is a little bulkier but works well, might want to look for an English Pak-it tool, just noticed a nice 38/357 310 in yhe classifieds
    Last edited by Blanket; 01-25-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: additional

Boolit Bub
    I vote for the Lee Loader as it would take up less space. I would try to get the improved version (vintage) that has the expander/crimper. I would also go out to EBay and try to find an Ideal/Lyman Whack-a-Mo full length resizer as a nice but small and lightweight addition. Personally I wouldn't carry primers around in a tube.

However, Skeeter Skelton wrote a really neat article of his extended trips into West Texas where he took his 310.

Boolit Grand Master
    vacek

Good point that you've made on transporting the primers in a tube.

If that was the way to transport them, why don't they come to us from the factory that way ? ?

Ben

Boolit Master

The Lee has less parts, and as others have said, has a more robust de-capper.
    You can always pick up a stick to whack it with, uness you are in the desert.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I wouldn't want to rain on your parade, but, It would be immensely more effecient to just pack a bunch of ammo; storage space/weight considered. You would have to pack the loading tool, bullets, powder, and primers if you intend to reuse the brass (the only way to safely transport primers is in their original packages) vs just pack a lot of ammo. For fun's sake, and if I wasn't carrying it all on my back, I might go with the Lyman (I use one in .44 Special, too close to the same size pkg. as a Lee Loader to make any diff.). It would be nice to reload a few rounds sitting around the campfire with a good pot of cowboy coffee...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I would go with the Lee Loader. Light and no hammer need be involved. Just use a rock, a tire iron or a branch. Itis designed to be carried around the outback. Mine is in my bug out bag, that is its permanent storage area.

Do not put your primers in a tube as a hard jostle could set them all off and you be might be injured badly. Just pack the primers in their original case.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Nix on carrying primers around in a tube; its dangerous. Keep them in their original box. On 310 vs Lee loader. There's pros and cons on both. Both neck size only but turn out good ammo. Lee Loader-you have to drive primers in with a hammer..IMHO not too smart. 310 decapping die pins aren't the strongest so bring extras. A Lee hand press with a ram prime and regular dies might take up a bit more room, but will avoid the problems of the other choices. LLS

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what the break even point would be but carrying lots of ammo would be more efficient up to several hundred rounds of ammo... that's the point at which you equal the weight of whichever tool set you choose, plus the can of powder, and the boxes of primers. Better yet, if you would like to do a lot of shooting, take a K-22 instead of a K-38 and carry a bajillion rounds of 22 LR in bulk! The "bug out" kit is something we all like to contemplate from time to time, but truth to tell, reloading "on the go" is probably a complex answer to a non-existent challenge. JMHO, of course, and YMMV!

Froggie

PS ... but if I did find myself going this way, I'd pack one of my many 310 tools with extra decapping pins.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I don't know what the break even point would be but carrying lots of ammo would be more efficient up to several hundred rounds of ammo... that's the point at which you equal the weight of whichever tool set you choose, plus the can of powder, and the boxes of primers. Better yet, if you would like to do a lot of shooting, take a K-22 instead of a K-38 and carry a bajillion rounds of 22 LR in bulk! The "bug out" kit is something we all like to contemplate from time to time, but truth to tell, reloading "on the go" is probably a complex answer to a non-existent challenge. JMHO, of course, and YMMV!

Froggie

PS ... but if I did find myself going this way, I'd pack one of my many 310 tools with extra decapping pins.

I am with frog.

One fairly normal .38 special round weighs about 230 grains. 155 +/- of that is bullet.

500 of them would weigh about 16 pounds.

The kit to load them would weigh:
    Lead 11 pounds assuming no waste.
    Pot 4 pounds
    Ladle 1 pound
    100 empty cases 1 pound
    Primers, powder and containers 1 pound.
    Lyman 310 tool (WAG) 2 pounds
    Total around 20 pounds.
    AND

You would need hours to load the additional 400 rounds.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Remote reloading

I enjoy reloading and have done so fo many years. I have never used the Lee tool, but have used the Lyman 310 in 38 Special extensively over the years with complete satisfaction.

From 1977 to 1982, I lived in Ecuador and spent long periods of time in the very remote rain forest (triple canopy jungle) with the tribal people. I was many days from help and engaged in hunting with the men for food and subsistance. All I had was a Colt Huntsman 22 autopistol and it worked well to take all kinds of birds and small mammals (monkeys etc.).

While there, I spent lots of time thinking about what kind of firearm/handgun a person would need to survive and live in the very remote parts of the world. I sold the Colt in South American and upon my return, made a bee-line to a gun store and bought a stainless steel Smith and Wesson Kit Gun. These are no longer available and today it would probably be a Ruger Single Six of some configuration.

Such a small 22 sixgun and 500 rounds of ammo would take up far less space and weight far less than the firearm tools and components to load that number of 38 Specials rounds. If a man can shoot a hangun a good 22 will kill anything he could kill with a 38 Special. If this same fellow can't shoot, then no gun or ammo will make up for the lack of skill and mental discipline.

Being on your own in very remote parts of the world, sound exciting and it can be. However the real world needs are far different from our mental pictures and fantasies.

This little sixgun has been carried over many miles in the Rocky Mountains, high plains and deserts of the American southwest.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub

Cool

A 1/2 lb of Bullseye or W231 would go a long way. A light single cavity Lee "soup can" mold (would have to get it off Ebay) weighs only about 8-10 ounces. 200 primers don't weigh much. 3 lbs of lead (from wheelweights) would result in 21,000 grains/158 grains or 125-130 cast bullets. More lead would need to be scrounged I guess.

Ain't armchair quarterbacking fun...........

Boolit Master
    Thinking outside the OP's box. How about a cap and ball revolver? Use a .36, carry a couple hundred balls, caps, pound of powder, wash it with water, then oil it up. It would be trading cleaning a pistol around that campfire instead of reloading.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    I've used both the Lee loader and 310 tool to load .38 special. I can't say I've used them extensively, but I did spend some time specifically testing them against one another. As I recall, the 310 tool was 1/3rd faster than the Lee loader. Also, the Lee loader really needs a flat surface and mallet to really work well.

The weakest part of the Lee loader is priming. You need to do a lot of light, precise tapping to seat primers. Without a flat surface and consistent mallet, it would be REALLY frustrating and you risk setting off the primers. If you were to take a priming tool, you would not only dramatically speed up the process, but the need for a flat surface and mallet would decline. If you do choose to bring a priming tool, pick up an old Lee tool, the kind that only hold one primer at a time. They're small and light. I like the Lee system, and still load with it occasionally. I find it elegant in it's simplicity.

The 310 tool is great. The only issue I had with it is aesthetic. The dies scrape up the brass a lot. You also have to adjust the dies correctly. This is not an issue for an experienced reloader, but there's more to it than the Lee loader. The other small issue is that you have to be careful to hold the cartridge case upright when it's full of powder. The Lee keeps the case upright at all times.

Overall, there's really no question as to what I'd take: the 310 with alloy handles. The design is like real reloading. The only real advantage of the Lee tool is price. Although the price of the Lee has been climbing, it's still a fraction of the price of a 310.

As fun as it would be to bring raw lead and a mold, the practicality is low. If you were going to bring a pound of lead, why not bring a pound of already cast and lubed boolits?

Good luck!

-John

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    How many cartridges do you think you will need?

I would say if you take 100 rounds of loaded ammo and the components to reload those cases when empty say twice for 300 rounds total then you probably don't want to bother. Really the only weight savings would be the 200 empty cases you are reusing because you would carry the same weight of primers, powder and bullets either as loaded cartridges or reloading components. Weigh your choice of load tools, measuring equipment, primer packaging, powder container, bullet packaging, etc. and compare that weight to the weight of the empty deprimed brass that you will reuse and decide if the savings is worth the the added work of reloading.

Of course if you just want to do it for the cool factor then go ahead.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

I watch tooooooo many cowboy movies lol. I'm envisioning an ammo belt filled with .45 colts and a 310 tool, powder, primers, and a mold in a saddle bag. Lead could be scrounged off of derelict cars. The 310 tool is quieter which could have its advantages. Wait a tick somehow I am mixing cowboy fantasy with zombie apocalypse fantasy. Oh well If I was on an extended camping trip I would probably not bring reloading equipment unless I was doing it for the fun of it. In that case I would bring a lee loader because banging on stuff is kinda fun.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Buddy
    Like so many others here, if I had to choose between the 310 or the LL, I'd carry the 310. I've used both enough that I find the LL slow and cumbersome, not to mention the awkwardness of hammer-seating primers. Ever since I accidentally set off a couple of primers while using a LL have I used that type of tool for anything but neck sizing!

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee Classic Loader due to the fact that I shoot a lot of different loads. 15 to 70 grns of back powder topped with round ball will do just about do anything you want in a camping situation. I shoot the round ball as well as 400 grn and I will be adding a 535 grn mold in a month or so for the long shots.

The .45-70 I have does everything well.

I too have set off primers but it isn't a big deal and it is nowhere near as loud outside as it is in the den. Hahahah

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    I use the Lee Classic Loader due to the fact that I shoot a lot of different loads. 15 to 70 grns of back powder topped with round ball will do just about do anything you want in a camping situation. I shoot the round ball as well as 400 grn and I will be adding a 535 grn mold in a month or so for the long shots.

The .45-70 I have does everything well.

I too have set off primers but it isn't a big deal and it is nowhere near as loud outside as it is in the den. Hahahah
    Now if I were going to go somewhere with a single shot 45-70, that would be different from taking my revolver. In that case, I would take 10-20 loaded rounds and a box of 100 or so bullets. A 310 tool, a flask of powder (with measure spout probably) and a couple of boxes of primers and I'd be ready to go. Even then there would probably be a 6" K-22 on my hip and a bulk box of 22 LRs in my kit as well.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast