RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: I found this in some stuff I traded for!

Boolit Master

I found this in some stuff Update!

I traded forIt is a C&H Swaging press with a die in it .429 tried it out with a chunk of lead this is what it made.
    I haven't a clue of what I am going to do with the thing. Haven't got a 44 anything.
    Took a 45 GC (all I had) and instaled it ran it through the swaging press.
    Last edited by Freightman; 05-01-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Freightman, perfect time to aquire a 44 something...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Cast Boolits Owner

Looks like you need to find a source of jackets that you can drop in the press before the lead. When you pull the handle out will come a soft nose jackleted bullet. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    It is a C&H Swaging press with a die in it .429 tried it out with a chunk of lead this is what it made.
    I haven't a clue of what I am going to do with the thing. Haven't got a 44 anything.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Freightman, this help any? I've got one also along with two or three dies.

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/swage_...ge_o_matic.htm

Boolit Master

freightman
    how about knurling then sizing again to .430
    just a thought that slipped out !

GP100man

Send it to me? If you want to get rid of it, that is. -we cold maybe work something out.

It an old C-H Swage-0-Matic press for producing soft lead bullets with deep copper cups.

Back in the 50's Jim Harvey of Lakeville Arms, produced a line of handgun bullets and dies called "Jugular" bullets with soft lead swaged into those copper cuts. He marketed them as "The Most Deadly Bullets"

Remember this was at the time when the only options were FMJ or cast bullets in handguns. These Jugular bullets made quite a splash and C-H jumped on the bandwagon with Swage-O-Matic presses and dies. I had one in 1960 and it worked just fine.

About a year later, Speer introducted it's line of half jacketed soft core handgun bullets in solid and hollowpoing. These bullets are still in the Speer lineup.

With the ability to buy off the shelf bullets from Speer of that type, the Swage-0-Matic died on the vine. I sold mine at a garage sale and bought the Speers. I really have not missed that old press.

Boolit Master
    Great collectable, not much of a tool. The body of the press is pot metal with a bad reputation for cracking even back in the day. There are a lot more dies floating around than working presses.

CH is still around, but their current line of swaging dies are built to work in Rockchuckers and stronger.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Banned

ive got about an identical set up in 41 that was given to me. You dont need jackets. Just take a gas check and place it in there with the lead and make that little swc a gas checked bullet. I made up a bunch one time tumble lubed them and they shot great like that. If i remember right i ran them up to about 1100 fps without leading.

Boolit Master
    I was wondering about a GC will have to try. I need a new CCW may just get a 44 special, also may send my H&R action in and get a 444 barrel. That will get me into big bore stuff big time I didn't have anything bigger than an 8MM two months ago aquired a Buffalo Classic 45/70 then got two more 45/70's in a trade now this.Kind of a progressive thing started out with a Mauser and surplus ammo, progressed to simi-autos, and now single shot big bore stuff, and casting and I recon swaging now.
    "HELP" I must have a sickness of some sort. But boy is it fun.