Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: "Extreme" Lube... ever been tried?

"Extreme" Lube... ever been tried?

I just read the sticky on a mutli-temperate bullet lube. While I am enjoying this site, I don't have the patience to read all 1600 responses. I was just curious if anyone has ever tried/thought the following...

Use a cast boolit with 3 lube grooves.

1. Run boolit through lube sizer with hard high temp lube.
    2. Remove lube from all grooves but bottom groove.
    3. Rerun the boolit through separate lube sizer with medium density mid temp lube.
    4. Remove lube from first groove.
    5. Rerun boolit through 3rd lube sizer with soft low temp lube.

In theory, you end up with a bullet that melts off lube progressively as the round passes through the barrel and heats up.

While I understand that this is overkill and a very expensive and time consuming proposition, I was just wonder if anyone has thought about trying this "triple lube" bullet. It sounds good in theory, but I am sure there is plenty wrong with this train of thought.
    If you trade liberty for security, soon you will have neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Been done. It doesn't work like you think it would because the mechanics of lube function during firing aren't quite like you suppose. The discovery of those mechanics is part of the evolution taking place in the Extreme Lube thread.

Gear

Good to know. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in the future. Thank you.
    If you trade liberty for security, soon you will have neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, even if it did work, what a pain.

Many bullet designs wouldn't work. Requires multiple lubings. ( is that a word?) and handli the bullet that many times to remove some lube.

Yikes, no thanks. But I am not surprised Gear has done it or knows a peron who did.

Banned

I tried it one time last Spring, I know Runfiverun has tried at least two formulas on the same boolit, he wrote it up in the Quest thread IIRC.

Blammer made some Christmassy red/green boolits just for kicks, not sure if he shot them or not.

Gear

Banned

dj shot them...
    i tried two lubes and flipped their directions.
    the vast majority of my boolits only have one lube groove,a very few have 2.
    but the waay vast majority have one.
    i'd rather have the boolit strength and bearing length,i can fix a lube i can't replace the lead.

I have had 'extreme' accuracy results from 'Ranch Dog' type small multiple lube grooves used in rifle loads.... While they are designed for LLA I use conventional type lubes with excellent results! Yet our answer is not here...

Many lube formulations conceived in the L O N G "Extreme" thread, (Which is well worth the long read by the way.... like a good book..)
    will shoot as good, and usually better, than any lubes you can now buy - - - on a nice 70F fall day that is....

As we try diligently to span from below zero to three digit temps is when we find out something is missing that we haven't discovered yet.

Not boolit configuration, but a real quest for the right lube configuration.

Eutectic

Boolit Grand Master

Am more and more enjoying Gear's and Run's threads.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned

putting lube into 2 or 3 different grooves isn't all that hard.
    i just put a different size in each star and go down the line lubing and sizing smaller.