MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contenders

Boolit Master

Contenders

I've really wanted one of these for a long time, but don't know much about them.

I know there are Contenders, G2 Contenders, and Encores. For me, honestly, the looks are a big part of the equation- I think the original Contender type, with the engraving on the side, looks beautiful, especially with those handfitting grips and the larger forends. The lines of the G2 and Encores just look unattractive to me. I also have heard the triggers on the original style are best, even though pressures it can tolerate are far, far lower.

I'm not recoil adverse and would like a medium or large rifle cartridge in the gun. I was thinking .30-30, 7-30, .35 Rem, or similar, but those are just ideas. Anything around that range that provides good accuracy and power out to 200y or so would be dandy, and I am not wed to any particular cartridge. It might be used for hunting but if so it will be close range deer (within 100y or so) and perhaps coyote. I have a surplus of 170gr soft point jwords in .30 that could go towards that, if there is a more potent .30 option than .30-30 out there.

Is balance far better with one of the 10" barrels, or is a 14 (one of the Super 14 barrels, maybe?) just that far superior? At the moment I am only looking to purchase one barrel.

Heading to the Greensboro Gun show this weekend and hoping to edumacate myself before I get there to know what to look for. Price is an object, but not unduly so.

Boolit Mold
    Yup I have a couple. The early grips were not good, down right painfull go for the finger groove ones. The later G 2 are stronger. The early ones have 2 major changes. First where the trigger guard hinges and second a split lock on the barrel. I prefer the hinge directly above the trigger and the split barrel lock. I put a sling stud in the metal plate on the bottom of the grip and push against a sling around my shoulder and neck. The caliber you pick will be somewhat determined by the laws where you hunt. I can recommend two, .22lr and .357H, if you reload but any are good. The light weight 10in can really kick.

Boolit Mold
    Any one of those would be a good choice, but you would need 14" barrel. 375 Win and 45-70 are also good choices.

Boolit Master
    I will admit to being very amused by the idea of a .45-70 contender, but I'm not sure how tolerable shooting more than a few with one would be. I guess I could just load them lightly.

I have a Buffalo Classic and do love the cartridge, though.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have a super 14 contender, about all I can tell you is the 35 rem barrel is not for the weak of hand. The 223 barrel is a pleasure to shoot.
    I think the new G2 might be the better design as if you let the hammer down with out firing you don't have to break the barrel open to be able to recock the hammer. That's somewhat of a pain in the butt when in a hunting situation you decide to hold off firing, but don't want to have to wait with the hammer at full cock.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    I have had 30-30-35 rem and now I have a 223. The 223 will killdear out to 200 yrds with no problem, and recoil is not bad.

I shoot mine off of the bench,over a leather bag, have no problem shooting 1/4 size of clay pigeon at hundred.
    One of he nices shooting toys I own. I shoot mostly 40 gr.v-max, hunting I shoot 60gr hp.Same load I shoot in my rifle.

Garf

Boolit Master

Attachment 59377[ATTACH=CONFIG]59378[/
    ATTACH]

get them both Tender has a 44mag
    Encore 17" 308 full bull
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    I have two early contender frames, one is the original non easy open. Honestly I don't find it hard to open but is harder than the other. Original Contender has awesome trigger better than G2. I have a boat load of barrels. 7tcu, 256 win mag, 30/30, 30 herrett, 357 herrett, 44mag, 45lc, 222 rem and more. If you want power 357 Herrett is it. As far as distance and accuracy my 7tcu is hard to beat. As far as grip try both because I still prefer my herrett style grip I have had since 70s

I've been looking for a long time for another contender after I sold one a few years ago.Found a deal I could not pass up.Back in contender land.
    Last edited by 223Lorenzo; 01-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have an orginal frame >50,000 that was upgraded by the factory. It is still a little hard to open. I bought a G2 frame because I went on a barrel buying binge and now have about 18. The G2 is very slick compare to the first frame. I am not sure of the status of the custom shop but I am loving the case harden frame.
    I just checked and the shop appears to shut down for retooling?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

the custom shop is gone has been they wont reopen
    the G2 line will be dropped too so i hear
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    I have the 45/70 and 35Rem there both good shooters. Reload light and there a pleasure to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Looking back I have had a bunch of different calibers in Contender barrels. My favorite was the 35 remington, I don't know why I sold it. I guess I thought something else would be better. I shot that barrel with factory loads and a whole bunch of cast loads. It shot everything very well. My best groups were shot with a RCBS 35-200 gr. FP.

I caught the Contender bug a year or two ago, but I'm recovered now.

IMHO the G1 with the true set trigger is the neatest, but also the weakest. Not up to anything past .357 Magnum in my book. It is magic with a Hornet barrel, when I can find a rest. Shoots better than many rifles. A good .22 rimfire barrel could be a treat. Ditto a .25-20, 218 Bee, .32-20. The .222 or .223 Remingtons, OK. Maybe even .357 Magnum.

Someday I will work up loads for my .30 Herrett barrel. Why do I have a .30 Herrett? I dunno, it was because it was cheap, I guess. They seem to be a glut on the market. (Watch people trying to sell them on Gunbroker.) I'm a sucker for homeless puppies, too. What I will use it for I can't imagine. I don't shoot silhouettes, it's too powerful for woodchucks, and much too anemic for deer. Coyotes, maybe?

I reamed a .38 barrel out to .357 Maximum for deer, and while it shoots well, I think it's pounding myy G1 frame too hard, and will eventually stretch it if I shoot it with full loads for anything more than fall sighting-in. I keep that barrel for deer season only.

The very idea of a .45-70 Contender Gen 1 or Gen 2 makes me cringe. I love the .35 Remington, but in my Marlin, thank you, not in a Gen 1 Contender, or even a Gen 2.

Here's why I say that: The single-barrel shotgun makers all abandoned the sliding underlug locking system about 1902, and they knew what they were about. You cannot find one of those today that hasn't been shot looser than the kingpins on my old '51 Dodge. Using big cartridges in any such action is child abuse. If you have to use big rifle cartridges, at least go for the Encore. Better yet, go for a real rifle action that can stand them.

The stock grips are absolute killers with anything that recoils. I dare you to ask me how I know. A Pachmeyr grip is far more comfortable and will make you a far better shooter. It did for me.

I for one cannot shoot the thing offhand at all. It has to have a rest. This has led me to buy another gun for garden defense. I need to be able to take offhand snap shots on chucks, and they just are not possible with the Contender.

I will keep my Contender only because I detest hunting deer with a shotgun, and I do not own a muzzle loader that shoots a big enough ball.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    7TCU easy to shoot, easy to load for, accurate, brass is cheap (well it used to be), and damn deer deadly. I recommend the 14inch pistol or the 21 inch carbine...the 10incher is handier but the 1oincher is better suited for something like ye ol 357mag.....that will kill deer at 100 all day long too......lots of options .......I want them all , but the 7TCU would be the last one to leave the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    7TCU easy to shoot, easy to load for, accurate, brass is cheap (well it used to be), and damn deer deadly. I recommend the 14inch pistol or the 21 inch carbine...the 10incher is handier but the 1oincher is better suited for something like ye ol 357mag.....that will kill deer at 100 all day long too......lots of options .......I want them all , but the 7TCU would be the last one to leave the safe.
    Good point. I should have generalized more by saying that the limit is anything with the powder capacity of the .223 case!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    What is the lightest cast bullet and load for a 14" 45-70, on a contender frame, for light recoil and plinking?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bpratl View Post
    What is the lightest cast bullet and load for a 14" 45-70, on a contender frame, for light recoil and plinking?
    .457 round ball over 10 Gr. of Unique, pistol primer.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    .457 round ball over 10 Gr. of Unique, pistol primer.
    Can I use 230 grain or 200 grain .452 45ACP bullets that I cast, in the 45-70 ?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Master
    Most .45-70s slug from .458-.461 and .45 ACP is normally .451-.452, so you may have some issues.

I appreciate all the advice, everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast