Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: can a barrel really be "rebored" to a larger caliber?

Banned
    loacation is fluid. home is City of Angels.

can a barrel really be "rebored" to a larger caliber?

lets say someone has a .30 caliber of any kind, 30-06,308,whatever, and they want make it shoot a different cartridge, like lets say 8x57 Mauser , could the original barrel be bored out and re-rifled to 8mm and have bolt work done to shoot 8mm, or would they have to switch the barrel altogether? does that boring out only work if its to turn it into a .410 shotgun? it may seem like a weird question,but i dont know for certain the answer so i ask.id guess the barrel would have to be switched altogether, but i may find out here. thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bore diameter of the rebore needs to be at least 0.01" larger than the groove diameter of the original barrel, to be sure to remove all imperfections and to give enough stock for the drill and reaming operations to vive an acceptable surface finish.

Boolit Master
    I just got a M700 Remington back from JES was a 270 Win. now a 35 Whelen. It shoots better than it ever did as a .270 .
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    I just got a M700 Remington back from JES was a 270 Win. now a 35 Whelen. It shoots better than it ever did as a .270 .
    wow thank you very much.i didnt realize it was that easy. as long as the action can take it,im sure they could rebore anything. thanks for the link to jes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Bore diameter of the rebore needs to be at least 0.01" larger than the groove diameter of the original barrel, to be sure to remove all imperfections and to give enough stock for the drill and reaming operations to vive an acceptable surface finish.
    thanks i didnt know it was possible

Boolit Grand Master

Just got one back from JES myself, first trip to the range is tomorrow. If you have a sound barrelled action it makes more sense than a new barrel, at least to me. With many conversions the bolt and chamber need little if any work. My trusty old 30-06 is now a 35 Whelen.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    im calling them on Monday!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creatinewarrior View Post
    im calling them on Monday!
    JES wont rebore Mosin Nagants because theres too much stuff on the barrel and its too much work. Thanks for the referral, but just letting anybody else know, theyre busy so dont waste your own time or theirs.thay can do anything with a remington or winchester though.