RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liability of selling boolits

Boolit Buddy

Liability of selling boolits

I'm thinking of selling boolits locally to supplement my income. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of liability? Would a use at your own risk statement cover me? I give boolits to friends for free but I don't know if its different taking money.
    Last edited by wantoutofca; 01-23-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Well anything you sell that goes into a gun has a liabilty, but pretty hard to blame a bullet for any damage. To be legal, you need an FFL to produce bullets for sale. A general $100K liabilty policy from the NRA is affordable if you want something.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy

I would need an FFL to sell cylindrical lead castings? Wow. It's not like its loaded ammo.

ADMIN

its a fine line.
    For me it would depend on who I was selling them to.
    We are talking just BOOLITS. We aren't talking loaded ammo right?
    I wouldn't sell loaded ammo but I would sell BOOLITS to some of my friends (provided I could replace the lead)

Boolit Grand Master

Read the definitions in the law. "Ammunition" is defined as any component of ammunition. Thus to sell bullets is to sell ammunition under the law. An FFL06 costs you all of $10/yr, paid in three year increments. Not really onerous.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

I didn't believe it either when BTSniper mentioned it but yes, need a type 06. Sorry, I didn't find the actual text in my browser history. This will help a little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

You have to keep records, AND I BELIEVE AN "EXCISE TAX" is due on all sales.

Don't try to Cheat the FEDS, and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post

Don't try to Cheat the FEDS, and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.
    Ya i can think of 2 right off my head..don't feed the Condors and it's a lead free state

Boolit Grand Master

NO! Excise tax is required only on completed ammunition with new brass. Reloaded brass ammo does not require collecting excise tax, nor does selling components.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You will owe 10% off the top for federal excise tax just like I pay on fishing tackle I manufacture. You pay it with an IRS Form 720.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't worry about any of that. Just make and sell some boolits. If you tried to obey the law all the time you would never do anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wantoutofca View Post
    I'm thinking of selling boolits locally to supplement my income. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of liability? Would a use at your own risk statement cover me? I give boolits to friends for free but I don't know if its different taking money.
    You need a license to do this.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

finarfin,

You get caught and the FEDS, and also the State, want to get nasty, they CONFISCATE YOUR STUFF.

The government can get really wound up at times, they make you a FELON, you can retire from the FORUMS,

YOUR FIREARMS ARE GONE FOREVER, PERIOD!

Boolit Buddy

[QUOTE= and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.[/QUOTE]

From us right! I got myself out of there while the getting was good! Got into Wyoming and never looked back.

Boolit Buddy

So what about giving it away? If that were the case the boolit exchange would be a problem as well. Not sure if it matters but the dictionary definition of manufacture is large scale, not us.
    Last edited by wantoutofca; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I could afford the FFL fee, and insurance. It is this that would be cost prohibitive for a home caster "Manufacturers must also register with the State Department under ITAR and pay at least $2,250/year."

and folks wonder WHY it is so hard for enterpreneurs to get started? I tell ya, the restricitons/requirements/roadblocks/fees/taxes/liability ins./health ins./unemployment ins./etc. are so STAGGERINGLY oppressive, it's a miracle ANYONE can stay in business. Add one good lawsuit from some leech, libtard or opportunist and you might as well just pack it in. I speak from experience, running other's businesses for over 23 years now.... then there's theft: internal and external---

But apparently, according to Obummer, "entitlements make us stronger"? He'll get his wish and more and more will be needin' them. He IS right that entitlements make the Democratic VOTE stronger, hence my signature below.........
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Buddy
    finarfin,

You get caught and the FEDS, and also the State, want to get nasty, they CONFISCATE YOUR STUFF.

The government can get really wound up at times, they make you a FELON, you can retire from the FORUMS,

YOUR FIREARMS ARE GONE FOREVER, PERIOD!
    When one of my kids was three she picked up a dove feather in the yard and I yelled at her to freeze and drop the feather immediately, but unfortunately she did take several steps before I could tackle her and take it away. Lucky for her there were no witnesses.
    I explained to her that what she had done is a serious crime and that the oppressors could take her away and make her live in prison for a really long time and when they let her out she would be their debt slave and all the money she makes would be taken away from her for a long time. So, believe me, I know how serious the oppressors can be. Hopefully the statute of limitations has passed.

In Remembrance

You're trying to be funny, but substitute Eagle feather and it isn't a joke. Flaunt the law if you want, but it could catch up with you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I could afford the FFL fee, and insurance. It is this that would be cost prohibitive for a home caster "Manufacturers must also register with the State Department under ITAR and pay at least $2,250/year."
    Correct.

I considered doing the same thing and decided that unless I invested in a fully automatic casting machine and sold a bazillion bullets I could never make any money at it after all the costs/fees/licenses etc.

You may be able to barter some bullets with others but that too is probably "illegal" - just more difficult to get caught.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast