Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Primer .45 acp cases...

Boolit Buddy

Small Primer .45 acp cases...

Ok, so who was the brain trust that decided making small primer 45 acp brass after a hundred years of it's being large pistol primer size was a good idea?!? It sure wreaks havoc with the production rate on a Dillon XL-650!!!

Boolit Grand Master

One more reason to shoot a 625...

Here we go again..................

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Why's that? Cuz that way you always get your own brass back?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    One more reason to shoot a 625...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc65 View Post
    Why's that? Cuz that way you always get your own brass back?
    You get your own brass back and when you find range pick ups, you sort it once for primer size and never worry about it again. With a bottom feeder, you have to sort for primer size every time you shoot in a place that other people shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    "Bottom Feeder" now THAT is funny, never heard that one before.

Boolit Buddy

Get use to the small primer 45, and may as well know that most if not all the large pistol will be going to the NEW Non-Toxic small primer... Little birdie says that by no later than 2015 this should be completed industry wide.... Just recently got 4000 pieces of Federal 10mm fired brass and it was all the new non-toxic small primer... Check with ReloaderFred, he has some good infor on this.

Boolit Buddy
    I've not heard of large pistols being converted to small primer other than 45's?!? Are you saying that the .44 Mag, 44/40 will be converted to small primer? If that's the case I'd better lay in a few more CASES of large pistol primers as I can find them!!!

Anyway, does the 45 ACP 'really' need lp's ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by odoh View Post
    Anyway, does the 45 ACP 'really' need lp's ?
    There's no functional reason for it. But it is a complete fiasco to have many thousands of large primed cases and a production stream centered around same and then get a few small primed cases in the mix.

And let's not forget, large pistol primers are less sensitive to panic buying/shortages since fewer cases use them.

Banned

No they don't, no matter the priming compound. The case is too small and my tests with the ACP revolvers showed double or triple the accuracy with SP primers and they also shot better from the 1911.
    No the .44 will not be changed but they work best with a standard LP primer, not a mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I only have a 44 in a carbine length 92 clone right now. I'm putting loads together with 296 & CCI 350(Magnum) primers, only because I have them from the first run on primers back in about 94 also that is the listed primer in both an ODL RCBS cast bullet manual, and the current Lyman Cast manual.

I don't claim that the 45 acp NEEDS LP primers, rather that cases were drawn for LP's for a century, so "most" of the brass out there is LP, BUT out of the last batch of 1000 I got there seems to be about 10% SP cases mixed in, at least based on the first 200+ I've been thru.

EDIT: I also have some MAG rifle primers from the same time frame, don't own anything that really NEEDs a mag rifle primer, but in a pinch they still go bang, oh and both the Mag pistol & Mag Rifle boxes say 10 x 99cents & we thought that was high from the .89 we were used to at the time.

Boolit Master
    Just ran into this last week. Have them segregated now. Same thing running the in a 650. After the first couple I got a feel for it and then removed the pin at priming / powder station and pulled them after sizing. Thinking about running them single stage with current load just to see accuracy difference. Plays heck with your dillon set up. If they go to this we are gonna have to get a new base if we wear out allmthe lp brass.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

I separate mine out and use them in a revolver, but it sure is a PITA.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

It's easy to set the Lee Pro 1000 up for small pistol .45 but I just use small primer .45 for .400 Cor-Bon.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    It's easy to change out the primer mech on the dillon too, just a pita when one cartridge has both sizes. Like kweidner I got to where I could feel when it was a SP as it didn't feel like it was starting & would just pull it at the priming station & rotate the primer feed back one so as not to loose that primer, and go on. It's not un-doable, but it seriously slows you down.

Banned

The .45 was made for our war fighters and made to go off under all conditions. Accuracy with a military 1911 was never thought of. The guns were rattle traps and when in the army I watched shooters tear up the ground.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    No they don't, no matter the priming compound. The case is too small and my tests with the ACP revolvers showed double or triple the accuracy with SP primers and they also shot better from the 1911.
    No the .44 will not be changed but they work best with a standard LP primer, not a mag.
    1/2 to 1/3 the group size from just the primer change?

Boolit Grand Master

Tearing up the ground is purely the jerk behind the trigger, not the gun.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    1/2 to 1/3 the group size from just the primer change?
    Yes. My friend bought a revolver in ACP and it really sucked at 25 yards. No load worked. I sat at the bench and said the primer is pushing out the bullets. I made brass inserts to fit the primer pockets and accuracy went way up. He then found a source for SP brass cheap and bought 1000.
    It was www.oncefiredbrass.com/45acpspeer.aspx.
    Now the 1911 shot good with LP primers but did show better with a SP primer. I built the gun for him and it will do 1/2" at 30 yards and I have shot 1/2" at 50 with it. Not often, just eyes.
    The revolver has no bullet resistance at the rifling so I figured too much primer pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast