RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What scope Redhawk?

Boolit Master

What scope Redhawk?

I want to do some boar hunting with my Redhawk 44mag. I would like to add a scope to it that doesn't require any type of drilling or filing of the sights. Anyone know what I can use?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Can't help you with the mount, but I use an Ultradot on my Redhawk Hunter model. And it works great! I find that to much magnification doesn't really help for handguns. Especially for speed.

Banned

Ultra Dot for sure.
    Sorry, if your RH does not have the rings or cut outs on the rib, you need to drill and tap. Clamp on mounts suck.
    Weigand makes the best base.
    As far as I know there are no clamp on bases for a RH anyway.

SSK's T'SOB mount is the stoutest I have ever seen.

Banned
    Actually Weigand just recently added a no-drill option for Redhawks

I use the Ruger rings because mine is setup for it. And like jblee10 & 44man says, red dot is the way to go.

Top is my redhawk with a 30mm ultra dot & ruger rings
    Bottom is my gp100, weigand base (no drill) and again a 30mm ultra dot.
    Both sport hogue hardwood grips (rosewood)

Boolit Master

I have had better luck hunting with a 2x instead of 4x but the 4x if much mo' bettah on the range.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by groundsclown View Post
    Actually Weigand just recently added a no-drill option for Redhawks

I use the Ruger rings because mine is setup for it. And like jblee10 & 44man says, red dot is the way to go.

Top is my redhawk with a 30mm ultra dot & ruger rings
    Bottom is my gp100, weigand base (no drill) and again a 30mm ultra dot.
    Both sport hogue hardwood grips (rosewood)

Yeah, I saw the Weigand one on YouTube today. I sure do like the looks of your top one. What cost are we talking on the Weigand setup?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

IMO i would use a good red dot sight or my 2ed choice a 2x pistol scope .

Boolit Master
    Hawg huntin can get fast and furious; I wouldn't recommend anything over 2X. Field of view too small on higher magnification scopes and you will have trouble picking up moving targets.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Banned

Red dot is fast. I shot a buck at 60 yards through a hole in the brush with my SRH and he took off up the hill. I hit him again on the run and he went down. I thought I missed the first shot but found I had blown up his heart.
    Scopes are great but not in dim light plus you see your shakes. They have a mental affect on you and a rest is best. I have not figured out how to carry a bench rest hunting.
    Neither I or any friend can hit a bottle of water at 100 yards off hand with a scope but we all can with a red dot. Wiggle factor. I spill soup out of a spoon in my old age so don't ask how I know!

Boolit Master

A+ to what 44man said ! i can also shoot a red dot sight better off hand than a scope with cross hairs ! but i have had excellent results with 1 to 2 power pistol scopes that ive had the crosshairs changed to a target dot of about 5 moa to 7 moa in some shooting games . for hunting i almost allways use a red dot sight on my handguns.
    You can shoot better groups with a RD because you area aim so you can put your consertation on the perfect trigger pull, instead of trying to get the crosshairs perfectly aligned with the target, so you cant use the same amount of concertation on the trigger pull . and you end up in most cases trying to pick off the shot, and missing !

Boolit Master
    have used a 2x power since the eaRLY 80s-- now have a 2x6 on a TC it is fine to use -- burris pistol scopes have a good field of view--still mostly use a striaght 2x I have 3 of them