Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Substituting primers

Boolit Master

Substituting primers

As we are all aware, components and equipment are in short supply right now. I only have about 500 small pistol primers left and there are none at the stores near me. I found a box (the last box) of small rifle primers and bought them. Looking forward to a time when I may have to make what is on hand work, I primed an empty 9mm case with a small rifle primer and found that it would in fact go off. I had concerns about the harder metal on the cup preventing the pistol's lockwork from detonating the rifle primer, but my fears were disproven and I now know that it will work. My question is, will it work safely? Currently the only pistol I reload for is my 9mm, and once the warm weather comes back I can see my primer stock dwindling fast as I try to practice regularly. Anyone done this before? Should I plan on reducing my loads because of the hotter primer? Any advice is much appreciated.

Boolit Mold
    I have used small rifle primes in my 9mm with no issues. I also use them for my competition loads. Some people will tell you to back off the load about 10% and see what you have. I have done this and found that the same about of powder works well with both. I would however back you powder off a little and test them until you get the results you want.

I havent bought a SP primer in better than 15 years. Use CCI SR in everything.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

That's good to know, thanks so much. Like I said, the primer cup hardness was my major concern, but doesn't sound like it will be a problem.

Boolit Master

Substituting primers

I've been told there is zero difference between the two primers other than cup thickness. I've interchanged both, and never had a problem.

You're mileage may very.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

i bought 10k srp about last year for use in pistols. there might be "breach erosion" in the long run. its starting to happen to one my guns but it doesnt bother me. might be the srp but i dont know if spp would have caused the same effect.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Small rifle primers are fine and all the guys shooting 38 super in USPSA are using rifle primers due to hot loads piercing pistol primers
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    Small rifle primers are fine and all the guys shooting 38 super in USPSA are using rifle primers due to hot loads piercing pistol primers
    Dave
    Hot loads do not pierce primers! Firing pins can.