MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reloading question in general - pulled bullets

Boolit Buddy

Reloading question in general - pulled bullets

Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions.
    Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? I'm thinking it would be much more valuable to me fully assembled?
    Or is this the same logic as auto salvage? The sum of the parts are worth more than the whole?
    Greg

Boolit Buddy
    may be required in the contract with the government to demil as they might not have meet spec, ie to hot, bad brass, to low of a charge etc etc

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions. Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? .....Greg
    Provided the ammo is recent manufacture and/or in good condition, nothin' wrong with shootin' it 'as is'. A lot of guys pull the bullets to reload with the charges they have worked up for their rifles. I do it too. Some milsurp ammo is Berdan primed and not reloadable without special tools for that. So, they pull the bullets for use in boxer primed cases and just trash the nonreloadable cases.

I've pulled FMJ's and loaded JSP 's over the same charge for hunting. Unless tens of thousands of rounds are disassembled, its not worth doing anything else. I can see. handloaders doing this, rather than buy the case, primer and powder

Boolit Buddy
    Do not know about now , but in times past Uncle Sugar has sold surplus ammo with the requirement that it be de-milled .

God bless
    Wyr

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions.
    Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? I'm thinking it would be much more valuable to me fully assembled?
    Or is this the same logic as auto salvage? The sum of the parts are worth more than the whole?
    Greg

Boolit Buddy

Others may want to work up their own loads specifically to their rifle.