Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need some cast loads for 6.5x55 Swede

Boolit Buddy

Need some cast loads for 6.5x55 Swede

Tried looking on search and 93 pgs came up, looked through a few but no help so gave up so thought I would ask directly.
    First time loading for the Swede and I need some cast bullet loads that some of you fellows use for the Swede with the #266469 Lee bullet and using any of the following powders, Unique, 2400, Trail Boss, Red dot, I-4227. These are the powders I have that I use for my other military rifle cast loads. Appreciate any help, Ray

PS, I also have a Cruise missle bullet mold, I think it's about 175gr. Any ideas on that long bullet?
    Last edited by rayg; 01-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Tried looking on search and 93 pgs came up, looked through a few but no help so gave up so thought I would ask directly. Lots of controversy on this caliber.
    First time loading for the Swede and I need some cast bullet loads that some of you fellows use for the Swede with the #266469 Lee bullet and using Unique 11.0 to 11.3 gr. or so, 2400 About 18 gr. or so.

PS, I also have a Cruise missle bullet mold, I think it's about 175gr. Any ideas on that long bullet?
    Intense controversy on this one. There is a "Milk Jug" sticky by Starmetal that explains more.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks 45 2.1. I use 10 grs Unique for all of the following calibers using various cast bullets with good results, 303 Brit, 7.62 Russian, 7.7 French, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, and wasn't sure if they would work well in the Swede but you confirmed the Unique would. My light loads that work well for all those calibers are, 16grs 2400, 13grs Red dot, 13 grs Trail Boss, 20grs I-4227, and 10grs Unique and just wanted to make sure there would be no problem in the smaller 6.5 Swede with those loads. Anyone have concerns, Ray

this thread is a little old, but directly pertaining to a question I am looking into, and that is Red Dot usage in the 6.5x55 Swede Mauser cartridge

RayG, I think that assuming .30cal cast loads, like the ones youve listed, are safe to fire in a 6.5x55 cartridge is not perhaps a good idea. Those cartridges (54r, 30-06, 308) have more case capacity and pressures will be certainly higher in the 6.5x55 cartridge.

It has proven difficult to find Red Dot information, although I have found a little, for the 6.5 Swede... Someone suggested a load of 9.5gr Red Dot, and I cannot remember where I saw that, but it sounds about right, however I would of course like to have a little more concrete backing behind this before I put my face behind the receiver... Anyone with Red Dot experience in the Swede Mauser wish to chime in?
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nitrohuck View Post
    .. Anyone with Red Dot experience in the Swede Mauser wish to chime in?
    The Lyman 2nd edition cast bullet manual has 6.5x55 data using Red Dot.

266469 140 gr Loverin:
    7.0 grs start load to 9.5 grs maximum

Same load data as with 700X. I've used 10 grs 700X with 266469 with excellent accuracy. Velocity about 1,350 fps.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    The Lyman 2nd edition cast bullet manual has 6.5x55 data using Red Dot.

266469 140 gr Loverin:
    7.0 grs start load to 9.5 grs maximum

Same load data as with 700X. I've used 10 grs 700X with 266469 with excellent accuracy. Velocity about 1,350 fps.

Dutch
    Will this work well for a 200yrd target load? I certainly hope to have a cast load that will work well out to that range, but 1,350 might be a bit slow? Perhaps 2400 would be a better 200yrd powder?

Thank you for the info, sounds like I'll be starting with Red Dot when the time comes!

Boolit Master
    266469, 17.0 4198 and Dacron

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ray, page 178 of the Lyman 49th Edition of Handloading Manual. Bullet dependent there are 49 load datas
    Regards
    John

Yo Zomby Woof. What sort of velocity you getting with 17grs 4198 and dacron; 1600fps? I'm just about to load some 6.5x57R with that bullet. I water dropped some 4:1 COWW:Pb with a splash of tin.I figure they will be good for close to 2000fps. Depending on the raggedlyness of rifling. Going to try Dacron for first time. Don't get 4198 to burn all up in 30-30 until 19 grs. Do you put a loose tuft all the way up to boolit base and does the Dacron leave any residue in the bore? JIM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    Tried looking on search and 93 pgs came up, looked through a few but no help so gave up so thought I would ask directly.
    First time loading for the Swede and I need some cast bullet loads that some of you fellows use for the Swede with the #266469 Lee bullet and using any of the following powders, Unique, 2400, Trail Boss, Red dot, I-4227. These are the powders I have that I use for my other military rifle cast loads. Appreciate any help, Ray

I would be interested in that "#266469 Lee bullet", but think that is a Lyman #.

Boolit Buddy
    Just checked in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition and for the 143 gr bullet it lists, Red Dot 7 to 9.5 grs, and Unique, 9 to 11.5 grs. Since my 1st posting I shot the rifle using 16 grs, 2400 and 10 grs Unique. The groups were not too bad but not as good as I would like. I'll try the Red Dot one.
    Also I think I will try Trail Boss. I read to find the charge for TB, you fill the case to the beginning of the neck and measure that, Ray

Up date. Just measured the TB in the 303 Brit case, aprox. 12 grs, the 7,62 Russian, Approx, 17grs, and the 6.5 Swede, approx 13 grs. What's surprising is the Swede measures more then the 303, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 04-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Just checked in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition and for the 143 gr bullet it lists, Red Dot 7 to 9.5 grs, and Unique, 9 to 11.5 grs. Since my 1st posting I shot the rifle using 16 grs, 2400 and 10 grs Unique. The groups were not too bad but not as good as I would like. I'll try the Red Dot one.
    Also I think I will try Trail Boss. I read to find the charge for TB, you fill the case to the beginning of the neck and measure that, Ray
    Post results once you've tried!

Boolit Buddy
    Will do, but it will be a while before I can get to the range, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 04-30-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Will do, but it will be a while before I can get to the range, Ray
    Did you ever try out these loads and get data?