Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Cast. . . two months later

In Remembrance

Lee Classic Cast. . . two months later

What a nightmare.

Ordered the Classic Cast back in November, a week before Thanksgiving. Got it in and it "ground" when the ram operated. No problem, everyone said, just pour some transmission fluid on the ram and operate 500 times.

Got worse.

Then the linkage started binding when you'd put any sort of pressure on it--in particular when doing full-length resizing with necked rifle cases.

At the same time, I'd ordered a two-cavity mold with a boolit design I really liked and the mold came in as misaligned as possible and with a pin missing.

I fired off a complaint to Lee via their website. Called Midway to start a return process--I've never returned anything to Midway, so had no idea how to proceed. Thanks to the dismal election outcome, Midway was swamped.

Get a reply from Lee to send them the press and that they'd make sure I got something "worthy of the family name."

Sent the press out. Get a phone call a week or so later from a family member. Was told nothing wrong with the press. Nothing.

I pointed out that my hangar neighbor has one that is silky smooth and doesn't sound like a GI's zipper going up and down after a night at the NCO club drinking beer and shooting pool. Was told that was normal (the zipping sound from the press, not the GI thing). BUT was told that I'd assembled the press wrong and that the linkage was "jammed in."

I pointed out that the press came to me assembled and all I had to do was install the handle. . . so how the hell was the linkage being jammed in MY fault? No answer, just a repeating of the previous statement.

Fine, I said, just send the damned thing back.

Hesitation. Then the family member asked about my dissatisfaction with the quality control of so much of their recent stuff. I explained about the mold, the Classic Turret in which Lee themselves had to admit had a misaligned shell-plate holder that caused shells to not line up when operating, as well as their instructions on how to disassemble the press and "realign" the pillars, etc etc. Told the family member I never had to do that with an RCBS press, and what's more, had never had to do that with any of my OLDER Lee equipment.

I then reiterated to "send me the press back."

Was told again that the zipping sound was normal and that it was part of the carbide ring connected to the six-speed automatic transmission hooked up to the Macauley three-bladed propeller via the Mercruiser outdrive, blah blah blah.

I asked why it was that I could build an airplane, overhaul a boat engine, build an addition to a house and even change the oil on my Nissan Z-car but somehow I couldn't insert a handle in a flagship cast iron press and tighten one bolt? Send it back, I said.

"Hang on", the guy says, "let me let you talk to my dad."

No, I tell him, I'm TIRED of talking so just send me press back.

And yet, he argues MORE! Finally I get it through that I'm done talking and just either send me my press back or chunk it in the trash--either way, I'm more than fed up.

And does the press get sent back? HELL NO! I get an e-mail from Lee with an official number on it. I figure that was the shipping info. I'm busier than I've ever been in the past year and don't open it, figuring that I'll get the press in a week or so then I can decide what to do. I was figuring on selling it on Ebay as a classic vintage one-of-a-kind press and raking in several thousand dollars.

A week goes by and no delivery from UPS. What the hell? Then I get a sinking feeling about the e-mail, go back and open it and it's the same guy saying, "What do you want me to do?"

In no uncertain or mistakable terms, I make it crystal clear to send the press back.

Yesterday it arrives and with a note that the ram had been polished down, new linkage.

Guess what? Works exactly how it was supposed to before leaving the factory.

I dealt with Richard Lee back when he was known as Dick Lee. He even gave me a Lee ballcap to wear during my IPSC shooting just to razz the guys who loaded on Dillons. I called another time about a question on adjusting something on my Pro1000 and was put on hold, and he (Richard Lee) answered the phone. We chatted and he told me in about ten seconds what to do and I've never had that problem again in over 20 years.

I talked with John about ten years ago on something--replacement parts, I think. They were in the mail that day and I congratulated John on the tremendous innovations they were doing. He sounded super-enthused about some ideas they were playing around with and was a joy to speak and deal with.

I know Mike Dillon is pretty much retired--has his kids taken over the biz? If so, I better get busy and start ordering blue stuff before the grandkids take it over.

Boolit Master
    That makes me very sad.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    That makes me very sad.
    Me too. I've been a loyal Lee customer since 1987. Any problems that came up, Richard--and then later, his sons--handled promptly, courteously and made sure everything was right.

I WANTED to like this press, and I do. What I didn't want was the incredible hassle I got over which was a first in over forty years of reloading.

The new generation of grandkids in any business seemingly look only at numbers and quantity of customers served. There is no faster way to destroy your brand, and with it, the brand loyalty that the previous generations busted their backsides to build and sustain.

A simple "I'm very sorry, I'm going to send you a new press that our machinist personally checked over and have him look over any issues with your old press" would've had me shouting from the mountaintops. Heck, he could've even then just "recycled" the press and sold it elsewhere or whatever and I would've been none the wiser.

Instead, "it was all my fault and I can't really tell a problem with the press" and nothing BUT nothing will drive me away from a brand faster than treatment like that.

Banned

The noise akin to "tuning in Tokyo" made by the ram seems to be the machine finish on the ram passing through the base, it's louder when you oil it, same as straight-cut gear whine due to hydraulic pressurization. You sure do have some rotten luck with Lee stuff, I've never had a two-banger with a pin out, or even one that fell out, and I've dealt some abuse to Lee moulds before.

I traded for a Classic Turret recently, not sure how old it is, but it seemed to be a bit on the "cheap" side compared to the one I bought last year, it looked like it had been made with worn equipment and put together without cleaning manufacturing residue off of it first, but it doesn't bind or wobble, and the ram lines up dead straight with the turret holes, unlike my last one that had a mis-machined shellholder slot like yours did. That one got re-machined to fit the Pro-1000 shellplate carrier and the top got converted to the progressive, which is a MASSIVE improvement over the rinky-dink base, handle, and linkage on the Pro-1000.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    I know exactly what are you talking about.
    After every session I have been founding scobs under the press.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1832485

Reminds me of a BH in 45 Colt I sold. Wouldn't shoot for c**p. Checked the bore,.453, close enough. Timing, close. Cylinder throats .448 to .451, Say what? Sent it back, waited 3 weeks, got it back with a note saying all was within specs. Fixed it myself to keep the customer happy.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The noise akin to "tuning in Tokyo" made by the ram seems to be the machine finish on the ram passing through the base, it's louder when you oil it, same as straight-cut gear whine due to hydraulic pressurization. You sure do have some rotten luck with Lee stuff, I've never had a two-banger with a pin out, or even one that fell out, and I've dealt some abuse to Lee moulds before.

Gear
    In forty years, I've never heard a press ram make that noise--including the previous aforementioned Classic Cast single stages.

As far as bad luck with Lee? It's only been in the last fourteen months. Somehow I managed to make it over 20 years with no real problems unique to any other reloading equipment manufacture.

However, the conversations and experience I had with Generation Three of the family explain a lot. The grandchildren of successful businessmen don't grow up hungry (as a general rule) and that often explains why the businesses fail or get sold by the time Generation Three (as we called it in Madison Avenue) takes over the biz.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a job at a Hardware store, when I was in High school (30 years ago). The store return policy was much like Walmart's...they'd take anything back. It was a family owned store with the "Our Own Hardware" francise. "Our Own" would take anything back, so there was never any loose to the family for taking a return for any reason. BUT, the Owner had a hard time not arguing with customers about returns. when I started there, He even admited it and told me to always deal with returns myself, in a friendly way with the customer and not get him (the owner) involved.

At that same time, I had a car being worked on in a auto-body shop. On one visit, the autobody guy seen my work shirt and asked me why the Hardware store owner was such an old Crank. He had recently tried to return a sander (a residential duty sander) that he used sanding bondo...that bondo would gum up the motor in no time flat...anyway, the owner wouldn't exchange it. I told him to go to the store when I'm there...and I swapped it out for him. Yeah, it was the wrong sander for the job, and I mentioned it, but I guess the price mattered...If I recall correctly he returned them several times.

Anyway, The lesson is, sometimes it's better to talk to someone else, if you're not getting any reasonable headway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I like their dies, some moulds but that's it. I had one of their single stage presses ages ago and the pot metal wore away from the ram travel. My cases started coming out on an angle instead of 90 degrees from the base. I think a ball chain to operate a powder measure is ridiculous. Each link can stretch to create a significant error in dispensing powder. I have two Dillons, a Pacific single stage, Layman and Texan turret but no Lee!

Banned

you should get a dillion. I have had great luck with lee. I dont expect them to ne perfect out of the box. I read forums and watch bunches of youtubes and read some more. Then i read some more. They work. But i do pistol only. Its easier. I won 2nd place custom homebuilt at virginia festival of flight, so i am have tools and good with my hands and some what creative. Above helps with lee, db9,keltecs,etc.... Thats why i have a sig938 and xds 45, S&W4006.. I think if ya call lee or any company nowdays it helps. Lee has great C.S.. Could lee tie-up a few loose ends, yea but dillion could to and most all companies.

Boolit Master
    I quit Lee production line side of buying in the mid 80s. I ordered direct and used their 30 day money back guarantee. The only press I kept was the hand press. The rest went back. I own one production collet die, one rifle factory crimp die and a bunch of bullet sizers and moulds from their custom order side. I was truly excited for Lee when they brought out the Classic Cast series, except for the breech version. For the life of me why the breech version which came out later than the other two CC versions, went back to the Challenger style of primer disposal. Doesn't make sense.

It appears now that the production side of Lee is now into making semi finished tools. This is what I have gleamed from the vast number of posts. They are not advertised as such. If you read Lee's reloading book, you would think the equipment is vastly superior to any other manufacturer. Judging by the vast number of threads, how to videos this just isn't so.

When I open a box, the product needs to work as advertised. No tinkering or modifications should be necessary. It is not sold as such! I don't understand the concept of 'beginner tools'. Someone posted on one of the threads about price trumps quality. I believe this is true. It's the only thing I can think of, for the numerous threads for validating a purchase that needs something or another just to get it to work. It seems crazy to me.

I hope quality tightens up one the Classic Cast series. These can be true winners for Lee.

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    Its the classic "Rule of 3rd Generation"

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Me too. I've been a loyal Lee customer since 1987. Any problems that came up, Richard--and then later, his sons--handled promptly, courteously and made sure everything was right.

I WANTED to like this press, and I do. What I didn't want was the incredible hassle I got over which was a first in over forty years of reloading.

The new generation of grandkids in any business seemingly look only at numbers and quantity of customers served. There is no faster way to destroy your brand, and with it, the brand loyalty that the previous generations busted their backsides to build and sustain.

A simple "I'm very sorry, I'm going to send you a new press that our machinist personally checked over and have him look over any issues with your old press" would've had me shouting from the mountaintops. Heck, he could've even then just "recycled" the press and sold it elsewhere or whatever and I would've been none the wiser.

Instead, "it was all my fault and I can't really tell a problem with the press" and nothing BUT nothing will drive me away from a brand faster than treatment like that.

Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I had a job at a Hardware store, when I was in High school (30 years ago)..... He even admited it and told me to always deal with returns myself, in a friendly way with the customer and not get him (the owner) involved.

At that same time, I had a car being worked on in a auto-body shop. On one visit, the autobody guy seen my work shirt and asked me why the Hardware store owner was such an old Crank. He had recently tried to return a sander (a residential duty sander) that he used sanding bondo...that bondo would gum up the motor in no time...
    Yeah, it was the wrong sander for the job, and I mentioned it, but I guess the price mattered...If I recall correctly he returned them several times.

And THAT would be why the owner would have gotten peeved. He was selling and swapping out 'several' sanders probably ending up costing owner more than one proper sander... but the car guy got to use several pieces for the price of one...
    There are limits to a business' patience. The car guy was abusing the return privilege. He should have known after two to pay the difference and upgrade... but no, he liked the fact he could use one until it gummed up and walk in and get brand new one...
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

I agree Lee is hard to deal with on the phone. No one there can admit that there might possibly be a problem. That's why I don't call them any more. I just pack it up and send it back, with a short, polite, to-the-point letter exactly describing the problem (and nothing else), and a new replacement comes in a timely fashion, usually in 2 weeks from the time I mail it (USPS Priority flat rate).

As for quality, yes it sure does vary. Two years ago I had to return a 45 mold, twice (got new mold each time) before I got a good one. I've had 5 of their 8mm molds, 2 Max and 3 Kar, and the dimensions on all do not match each other, or the drawings for that matter, even within tolerances.

Lately, though, Lee and I have been on a roll. I just got a new Lee 6-Banger "inspected by Shirley" mold and it is easily the best mold by far of the dozen or so Lee molds I have. I gave it the usual going-over and decided the usual Lee-Menting simply wasn't necessary- I couldn't find a single burr or machine chip on it!

I also have two Classic Cast O-Type presses, without Breech Lock and with the through-the-ram primer disposal, which I purchased directly from Lee as factory seconds. I love them. They stay mounted on my bench, right next to my RockChucker.

With the latest panic buying and second and third shifts, I'm sure all the manufacturers are going to have some goofs coming out again... and just when we were at the point of recovering from the previous rush 4 years ago.

HF

Boolit Master

I will continue to buy their products but maybe I will now be my own quality control and warrantee department. Has there been a shift in company policy that requires us to now see their equipment the same way I look at Chinese machine tools? An "assembled kit"? The pieces come pre assembled but we need to do the final fitting?

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. I like their dies, some moulds but that's it. I had one of their single stage presses ages ago and the pot metal wore away from the ram travel. My cases started coming out on an angle instead of 90 degrees from the base. I think a ball chain to operate a powder measure is ridiculous. Each link can stretch to create a significant error in dispensing powder. I have two Dillons, a Pacific single stage, Layman and Texan turret but no Lee!

The ball chain doesn't operate the powder measure, the measure is operated when the case is raised into the powder die. The chain is used to return the powder disc back to the start position.
    Now, I don't understand why they can't use the return spring like on their other presses but I don't think the chain will vary powder charges.

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    The ball chain doesn't operate the powder measure, the measure is operated when the case is raised into the powder die. The chain is used to return the powder disc back to the start position.
    Now, I don't understand why they can't use the return spring like on their other presses but I don't think the chain will vary powder charges.
    I think you're splitting hairs here. Whether its to actuate or return, they're both part of the operation. Ya can't fill it unless ya return it to the home position...........with da ball chain. My point is if the chain stretches and the slide doesn't return to the same position, it can't possibly fill consistently. Ball chains should be reserved for closet lights.
    Last edited by FLHTC; 01-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Yeah 'she' wanted to charge me $10 shipping for a 50cent plastic part, sheesh!
    Must admit the best service comes from RCBS and Redding.
    Hopefully Dillon will be replacing some parts but no confirmation from them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    I think you're splitting hairs here. Whether its to actuate or return, they're both part of the operation. Ya can't fill it unless ya return it to the home position...........with da ball chain. My point is if the chain stretches and the slide doesn't return to the same position, it can't possibly fill consistently. Ball chains should be reserved for closet lights.
    The design accounts for this. It doesn't depend on the chain's exact length. There is a spring on the chain that acts as a buffer. Properly set up, the chain would have to stretch well past its breaking point for it to no longer work correctly.

It's actually a very safe design.

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    The design accounts for this. It doesn't depend on the chain's exact length. There is a spring on the chain that acts as a buffer. Properly set up, the chain would have to stretch well past its breaking point for it to no longer work correctly.

It's actually a very safe design.
    My wallet won't come out for one, that's for sure. One junk press was enough for me