RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8mm cast lead bullets which powder to use and how much.

Boolit Bub
    To armexman:
    Yes, of course, I read lot of literature and manuals. Yes, of course, I use 8mm Max moulds bullets by different way in different calibers. Yes, of course, I (personally) tested all variants which I mentioned. Yes, of course, I measured speeds and it was OK. What is wrong???
    ... and I found, as little suprise for me, for more rifle 8mm or similar calibers I can use load of 28grs. of ACC5774. This my The Load for me. And this is my answer to the question "what powder and how much" ...

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

4. 180-200 grain gas-checked "deer/600 yard target", 1750-1850 f.p.s., 26 grains of RL-7 or equivalent. " I have been searching for this online and can't seem to find an answer that is the closest I got. I casted about 46 bullets recently, only about 4 of them came out to about 180 grains after adding the gas check ,which it self weighs about 4 grains. So now the bullets weigh 184grains through 182 on average. How many grains of 2400 should I use? I was thinking of using a little over 16 grains, to make up for the extra weight, they are gas checked so I don't want to remelt them. fyi I have been casting for like two days...

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 60154Here is an example of expected accuracy;

The test was for accuracy difference between the Hornady GC and my own made of .014 brass shim stock. Bullets were from a 325291 GB mould and were visually inspected only. They were sized at .325 and lubed with Javelina. They weighed 195 gr fully dressed. Cases were '39 Turk pull down with berdan primers. Powder charge was 31 gr 4895 with a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler. Test rifle was a Yugo M24/47 with a 6X Leupold on top. Test was with 2 foulders and then a 10 shot group at 100 yards from a clean barrel with each GC. Velocity and other data on target.

Point is an accurate load is fairly easy to find with 4895, a dacron filler and an appropriate cast bullet. Had 400+ of those pull down cases, wish I'd had a thousand more..........

Larry Gibson

1" pasters BTW.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wdog01 View Post
    To armexman:
    Yes, of course, I read lot of literature and manuals. Yes, of course, I use 8mm Max moulds bullets by different way in different calibers. Yes, of course, I (personally) tested all variants which I mentioned. Yes, of course, I measured speeds and it was OK. What is wrong???
    ... and I found, as little suprise for me, for more rifle 8mm or similar calibers I can use load of 28grs. of ACC5774. This my The Load for me. And this is my answer to the question "what powder and how much" ...
    5774 never heard of it, must be new
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    Yes, you are right, my mistake , right number is ACC5744. Text from their www:

"Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada." http://www.accuratepowder.com/produc...0&product=5744

Boolit Man
    in my experience it's hard to beat 2400 in cast rifle loads. 18 gr in all my milsurps except the 8x56r (20gr) give 1700-1800 fps with 2-3", iron-sighted accuracy @ 100 yds.

i size .325", which seems to be most of you folks' recommendation and lube with liquid alox...zero leading.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

Using the Lee 175 gain .324 powder coated with checks I found that 35 grains of Winchester 748, with a magnum primer was working well. With the Karabiner Monster around 31.5 of 748 with same primer.
    Last edited by Eddie1971; 01-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Read the article Cast bullets for military rifles at the top of the page.Good info by C.E. Harris.

I have and it's a good starting point. I think with powder coating and using a check it kind of changes it up a bit for loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12