RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just gotta ask

Boolit Master

Sometimes you just gotta ask

You take your victories where you can get them. The back story:

Since 2004 or so I have been involved with the conceptual design of a new manufacturing center on our campus. I have helped select the equipment, set some design goals, and assist in any way possible to get this project turned from an idea into a real structure. Don't get me wrong, many other people have been involved over the years, but I've had a vision of what this could be and what it might mean to the University and the community.

For the last couple of months I've been involved with spotting the machinery in the structure and laying out the shop floor. I'll post more about the structure later, along with some pictures. One of the main areas is the High Bay, which is 65' wide and about 150' long, with a 10 ton gantry crane that runs the length of it. There are other labs, offices, etc. in the building.

My department Chair has an American flag on a stand in his office. I asked if it was from the Academy (he is a retired Air Force Colonel) and he said that it wasn't and that it was a birthday gift; the University would not pay for it.

Guys, this struck me as WRONG, that a man who flew over Baghdad in GW1 has to buy his own American flag. And then I realized that the new manufacturing center had no provision for a flag anywhere.

I'm a pretty low key guy in most ways, I just want to do my job and get on with life, but with everything else going on in our nation I decided to do something. I decided that I didn't want a flag for my office, I wanted a flag for the whole building. So I wrote an email to the University President, Dr Linda Bennett. Here is the text:
    -----------------
    Dr Bennett -

As the construction of the Applied Engineering Center winds down and the installation of the equipment begins, I noticed one item that was missing - an American flag.

This building was designed by proud Americans (many of them are our grads), built by proud Americans, and at least in my case it will be staffed by a proud American. The equipment in the building is primarily American made (whenever it was available) and while all are welcome the majority of students that will use the building are American.

I would like to see the largest American flag available hanging inside the building, where it will be protected from the elements and will serve to remind all who enter who and what we are. Manufacturing is what America does best, and this building should reflect that.

I understand that there are many needs on this campus for money, and that hard decisions must be made in allocating the funds available. I respectfully request that you give serious consideration to this idea, and if the funding is not available please indicate that.

Thanks you for your time and attention to this request, it is appreciated.

Cordially,

Keith G Benedict
    -----------------
    Bless her heart! Within a few minutes I got a polite and favorable response and within a few hours (and it was a Friday afternoon) her request to other University officials to make it happen had worked through four levels of administration and I got an email from the Construction coordinator that a 12' x 18' flag would be ordered and be available in time for the Open House/ building dedication.

I'm working with my Dept Chair on the dedication ceremony - I'd like to raise the flag at one end of the high bay with the crane and then fly it slowly to the other end while the National anthem is played. The flag will then be permanently displayed on the wall at one end. We'll see what happens.

Sometimes you just gotta ask.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Good on you.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Awesome story! Keep us posted, Keith.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    It is refreshing to hear people "doing the right thing" ever so often.Good call and best wishes for the new engineering center.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master

Very nice!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    I'm Proud of you Professor, Your're a Great American and Great role model for us.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Good on you Kieth! I'm glad you got to "make it happen!' I was getting ready to suggest maybe us cast boolets members could chip in a few $$$ for the flag and you could hang it on the wall in a place of honor. I'd be more than happy to contribute to such an undertaking.

Boolit Master

Great Americans are the ones who have fought and in many cases died for our country. Great Americans are the ones who work their butts off, pay their taxes, and try to raise their kids right. Great Americans know what the Constitution and all the amendments in the Bill of Rights mean.

I'm just a guy that likes to diddle with machines and teach kids a little about engineering and technology.

Edit to add: Houndog, your offer is touching. I know I can always count on the folks here for help. I was ready to make a few phone calls to some friends and dip into my own funds if the University lacked the funding.

I think it's better this way, it establishes a precedent.
    Last edited by theperfessor; 01-23-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: See text

Boolit Master
    Keith,
    Though I'll probably never see the flag, you and President Bennett deserve a big thank you, for your efforts and final accomplishment, and should feel proud.

I don't want to hijack this, so will start another flag thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Keith, this is a big industrial building. Include in the budget a yearly cleaning.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Actually, I'm pushing to have webcams put in the building. I want everybody all over the world to see what we're doing. And one of the cams will be aimed right at the flag.

I want to teach kids how to make the things that will make this country the envy of the world. And we can do it if we can get the government off our backs.

Edit to add: Wayne, your point is well taken.

Boolit Master

Absodamtively, posolutley awesome Keith! I served under that flag, it makes me mad when somebody disrespects it. Like watching how many remove their hats at a ballgame when the national anthem is played and the flag is unfurled.

SALUTE!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    How's about some pics when it happens?

Good on you!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

I'll start another thread later with pics of the building. And when the cams are in I'll post the URL. I want them to be "steerable" remotely with a local override. That way we can lock them to one view if we do a distance ed class and also allow folks to be able to pan, zoom, etc. when they are released.

Boolit Master

Well done!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Well houndog beat me to the punch, but i was going to offer to start a fund to get a flag if it was denied by the administration.

Keith I'll be looking forward to taking that tour of the building when it's up and running!!

Boolit Master

You're on the A-list my friend. I think even you will be impressed at what we will have to work with.

Boolit Master

Great story and a wonderful idea! I think that all too often we forget to display our national symbol. I'm glad that it got included in this project! Keep up the good work!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Keith

See if you can arrange to have the ceremony, especially flying the flag the length of the building, video taped and put on YouTube. Maybe some students will take up the challenge. It could be a statement for all Americans and an advertisement for the University and the program.

Blacksmith
    Retired Manufacturing Engineer
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Blacksmith, that is a terrific idea. I've thought about having the campus ROTC unit assist in the flag raising. I will bounce these ideas off our Dept Chair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast