Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a press mounted powder measure that's consistent to .01 gr?

Is there a Turret press mounted powder measure that's consistent to .05 gr?

I'm very tired of my setup with Lee micro-adjust powder bar....and Lee "Perfect" Powder Measure!
    I want to fine tune my loads to .05 gr. with my turret press, if possible.
    Last edited by daddyseal; 01-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Yes, several powder measures can be press mounted and throw charges within .01-,02 grains. Results will depend upon the powder being used and the total charge weight. I have good luck with Lyman, Dillon, Herters and Pacific. The question is, however, if you think you need that kind of accuracy, why are you trying to use a powder measure, especially if you are on the ragged edge for a max load. Anything that hot needs weighing; each and every single one.

Boolit Master
    Quick Measure

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Seems unlikely.
    ph4570

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    Quick Measure

r1kk1
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by daddyseal View Post
    I'm very tired of my setup with Lee micro-adjust powder bar....and Lee "Perfect" Powder Measure!
    I want to fine tune my loads to .02gr.
    Wouldn't matter if there was one, there's not a reloading scale out there that will weigh to that level...a tenth of a grain is what most advertise, and I wonder about that..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Yes, several powder measures can be press mounted and throw charges within .01-,02 grains. Results will depend upon the powder being used and the total charge weight. I have good luck with Lyman, Dillon, Herters and Pacific. The question is, however, if you think you need that kind of accuracy, why are you trying to use a powder measure, especially if you are on the ragged edge for a max load. Anything that hot needs weighing; each and every single one.
    So far I'm not pushing near the max.
    But checking every load for 2 rounds, then loading 10 rounds and check again...the system I have will show variance then.
    I'm wanting something I can trust to be much more consistent.
    Which of those you mentions is the most reasonably priced?

Boolit Grand Master

If for any reason, I need charges that close, (be it for pushing the top end of the pressure, or for accurate loads) I trickle every load.
    That being said, I expect a certain amount of accuracy out of a powder measure. My RCBS does the job, but I have an old Herters with a 3/8" measure tube, and it is amazingly consistent.
    There isn't much to a powder measure. Usually, if it has a small diameter powder tube, then I figure it would be fairly accurate.

Another thing I would mention, is that you better have a scale that you can trust to read those measurements accurately. If it dont say "Ohaus" on the side of it, then I'm a little leery.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Wouldn't matter if there was one, there's not a reloading scale out there that will weigh to that level...a tenth of a grain is what most advertise, and I wonder about that..
    Mine reads consistently to .01 gr
    Last edited by daddyseal; 01-22-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Mine reads consistently to .002 gr
    I am guessing you have that scale set for grams not grains.

.002 grams = .03 grains which is about the best you will find in a scale, However, many seem to only be 1/2 that accurate as they skip every other number, so expecting anything better than .05 grain accuracy in powder drop seems near impossible. I consistently get drops down to as little as .05 accuracy with the Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk and file modified holes using Double Disk Kit. With 9mm favorite load, 4.15gr of W231/HP38 drops at 4.15gr everytime.

The micro-adjust powder bar was worthless here as well. Stick with modding your own holes, and also the Lee Micro Disk if you can find one.

Also, many digital scales can drift and show different readings with a lot of fluctuation re-dropping the same charge. After testing 3 different models over several months, gave up on digital scales and the inconsistent drop issue went away. As an electronics professional and geek, that was a hard switch to make.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 01-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    What?
    http://quick-measure.com/

There have been threads on the measure.

r1kk1

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    http://quick-measure.com/

There have been threads on the measure.

r1kk1
    I like that one...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobsTV View Post
    I am guessing you have that scale set for grams not grains.

.002 grams = .03 grains which is about the best you will find in a scale, However, many seem to only be 1/2 that accurate as they skip every other number, so expecting better than .05 grain accuracy in powder drop seems near impossible. I consistently get drops down to as little as .05 accuracy with the Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk and file modified holes using Double Disk Kit.

The micro-adjust powder bar was worthless here as well. Stick with modding your own holes, and also the Lee Micro Disk if you can find one.

Also, many digital scales can drift and show different readings with a lot of fluctuation re-dropping the same charge. After testing 3 different models over several months, gave up on digital scales and the inconsistent drop issue went away. As an electronics professional and geek, that was a hard switch to make.
    Thanks...I'll get a Lee Micro Disk...Plus cut up an index card to put in my hopper like the RCBS Uniflow baffle.

Mine reads consistently to .002 gr
    O.K., I think I see where we differ, you're saying 2 tenths of a gr. I'll buy that...., .0 is tenths, .00 is hundreths, I agree you should be able to find a measure that'll drop to within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain...I have 7 measures, 3 different brands, I think they'll all do that well...but some powders I keep a closer eye on than others...

Boolit Master
    Even the best powder measures are influenced by your technique of using it.

Even as to how rigid it is mounted or the speed at which you operate it at.

Thanks...I'll get a Lee Micro Disk...Plus cut up an index card to put in my hopper like the RCBS Uniflow baffle.
    The Micro Disk is great for very small charges, but for normal charges, you will need to slightly enlarge one of the disk holes of the Double Disk kit to be exactly what you want the charge to be. You do not have to stick with what the holes are factory drilled to. I still prefer using the disks that I drilled and filed over the Micro Disk (not to be confused with useless micro-adjust powder bar).

Prior to the Lee Pro Auto Disk, I was using the Perfect Powder mounted on bench to drop charges through funnel into turret press, and while it did a great job with the larger capacity rounds, consistency with smaller charges was one reason for the switch to the Pro Auto Disk. Now the PPM is only used in separate process for large rifle and BP rounds.

Since you already have both the Lee PPM and Auto Disk (pro?), you might want to just pickup another set of disks to modify and see if that fits your needs cheaply.

Last thing is, different powders will give much better or much worse inconsistent drops. If ultra consistent drops are required, then looking at different powder choices would be required as well.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 01-21-2013 at 12:17 PM.

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. The RCBS Uniflow is relatively consistent. However it doesn't seem to like really small charges. The Lyman 55 is consistent when it wants to be. I've had days when it won't sit still and I am chasing it for the entire batch. Other days it just measures it's little heart out. The LEE PPM has not worked for me. Others have been able to make the LEE PPM work like a charm but I have not. There are alot of powder measures out there and I have only tried but a few. My most consistent powder measure I have is a Lyman Accumeasure. This leads me to believe that most fixed cavity powder measures can be accurate as long as the machining is tight. As for adjustable cavities I have heard good things about the redding and I may give it a try but like many others I have only so much funds. I would suggest a LEE pro auto disk or another fixed cavity style measure.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Banned

I don't see any point in charges to < .1 !!!
    Even on small stuff of 5g.

Variances in primer ignition and powder burn rates will overpower charge weight up to 1% or more.
    In other words for a 25g powder charge you won't see the difference in a .25g weight variance.

Why do you think you get a 'standard deviation' in muzzle velocities? It's not charge weight differences, it's ignition variances

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    O.K., I think I see where we differ, you're saying 2 tenths of a gr. I'll buy that...., .0 is tenths, .00 is hundreths, I agree you should be able to find a measure that'll drop to within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain...I have 7 measures, 3 different brands, I think they'll all do that well...but some powders I keep a closer eye on than others...
    I guess it just not possible, ..thanks
    Last edited by daddyseal; 01-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Is there a Turret press mounted powder measure that's consistent to .02 gr?

No.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast