Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your basic 1911

Your basic 1911

I am in the market for a plain jane matte finish GI issue .45 Any recommendations on which manuf/model? Wanting to narrow my search.

Thanks, Tom
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This has been kicked around quite a bit in other topics here. I think the Rock Island Arms came out on top for a budget 1911.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thanks, I will SEARCH it
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This has been kicked around quite a bit in other topics here. I think the Rock Island Arms came out on top for a budget 1911.
    +1. I have one and I will never sell it.
    It is as basic as you can get and runs like a champ.
    You CANNOT beat it for the money.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

The Rock Island gets good reviews on 1911.com. I understand they have good customer service. A step up in my opinion and price would be the Springfield Armory basic.

Your basic 1911

The Springfields are good guns but I have fired 3 now on their first trip to the range and I have to say that the triggers were all terrible. Gritty and heavy, on the other hand the rock island and citadel (said to be made in the same factory) were much better in feel with a few hundred less on the sticker. Can't go wrong with either though, these are merely my observations.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Master

In the past I've owned Springfield and Kimber. Currently I own a Taurus and a compact RIA, for the money its hard to beat the RIA. One of my sons has a full size RIA as does his step-father, I'd trust any of them with my life.

Thanks for the replies, How about a colt 1991A1? have a line on one but have read some negative feedback on them.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Also a springfield 1911A1 GI LNIB for $500
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Working at A gun store the best 1911 on a budget would have to be the full size ATI GI they are under 450 new and lock up and are tighter than the kimber grand raptor we have

Boolit Bub
    Take a look at the Tisas 1911 clone at Bud's Gun Shop. Under $400.

1911 Colt 1991 CCG, about a grand

edit, oops its not matte..................sorry

I have a RIA 1911 Tactical (better trigger and sights). Bought it for $450.00 or so out the door, and sold my Kimber. Personally, I think these are the sleeper of the decade, and if I needed another one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I think the RIA's are a really good value for the money. A fellow had me work one over to shoot "Hardball" matches and he says it has been a really good shooter. A co-worker of mine bought one and we shot them one afternoon and I was amazed at how well this $300.00 (at the time) pistol was put together and shot.
    I have been working on a few of these lately and been pleasantly surprised on how clean the cast frames are. There are no casting lines, pitting or machine marks and the tolerances have been right in spec also.
    Good luck, jmsj

Boolit Master
    Since the introduction of CNC machines a lot of good fitting 45's are showing up. I bought a Metro American Classic from Bud's guns about a year ago and it shoots pretty good. I was surprised that it shot my wadcutter ammo that I shoot in Bullseye matches. This tells me the spring is not strong enough for harball but I was impressed that it fed. The only thing I can say is not so good on the pistol is the front sight is a bit crooked but not terrible. When buying these kinds of guns, you are getting mim parts so it is more likely that a sear or hammer will fail, but they aren't difficult to take apart and redo plus parts aren't so expensive either.

Boolit Master

RIA Classic is a CNC-made pistol and its a great bargain. I've shot great groups with mine at 25 yards and its never failed to fire.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Your basic 1911

I started with the Taurus 1911. This is still one of my favorite 1911's to shoot. Sure my Kimbers and Springfields are more accurate and little nicer in quality, this Taurus just works, and is enjoyable. Very good value for your money. Most people that know the Taurus have never owned, let alone shot one.

The lifetime warranty is not bad either.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Rock Island Arms or Springfield.

Your basic 1911

I'll vote for the Taurus also, the one my buddies wife has will shoot bug holes at 25yds but I suspect that to be the exception and not the rule of course. Well put together gun and with the aluminum frame that example has would be a delight to carry. Have heard only good things about Taurus warranty from those in my club that have actually used it.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Grand Master
    take a look at a Sig Tacops
    I got one from Subsonic
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often