Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Noe mx3-22 55gr

Boolit Buddy

Noe mx3-22 55gr

Got my 55gr version of the MX-3 in this afternoon. Should get some down range tomorrow. Should be a good one for the 14 twist Savage. This one fits the throat of both my 223 bolt guns with the boolit base in the neck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7240.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	58978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7235.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	58979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7237.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	58980
    MX3-62, MX3-55, and Saeco 221 for reference

Name:	IMG_7238.JPG 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	58981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7239.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	58982

Scale shot on left is fully loaded with lube and GC, scale on the right is just the boolit

Boolit Master

I like the looks of the saeco boolit, how does it shoot in the 223. Will be watching to see how the MX shoots.

wcp

Boolit Buddy
    Not a big fan of the Saeco #221. For one the GC shank is a bit fat. Hornady checks need to be anealed and flaired to get them on. I now have a Freechex III gas check maker and those work well with getting them on this boolit with .09 thick AL flashing. For two the boolit is fat for anything but 556 or wylde chambers. My bolt guns don't work with this boolit. Three, because it is fat it is easily distorted while sizing or seating.

Anyway, shooting this afternoon was interesting. Wind gusts past 40 with constant 10MPH left to right 1/4 to full value wind. I would get ready to drop the hammer and something would change. Shooting was at 100 yards today. Some guy thought that the 50 yard range was his personal 3 yard pistol range. Guess he missed the 25 yard ranges that were all plowed so you can police your brass. This guy was standing in the middle of the range in a foot of snow.
    All that to say, 100 yards with nasty winds and un tested loads. So take these with a grain of salt. Also my first time with shooting my freechex III gas checks. Not sure but thinking that the fliers I had were GC coming off the boolits. The wind alone would not throw the shots as much as they went out of the groups.

Name:	IMG_7243.JPG 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	59079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7244.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	59080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7246.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	59081

Boolit Master

That is to bad about the saeco mold with that many problems, I would not be happy with that either. Fighting the wind is not fun. On the bright side it looks like you are off to a good start with the groups. Good luck on finding that magic combination that yields good groups.

wcp

Would it help accuracy to let your alloy age harden a bit instead of shooting them the next day?
    I'm kind of baffled to why the saeco bullet would tend to deform more. It's thicker cross section actually decreases it's tendency to deform in a buckling type situation during loading and lubing. Think the alloy could be too soft or the top punch isn't contacting it like it should?

Boolit Buddy
    The Saeco #221 cast out @ .227 so sizing down to .225 is putting a lot of stress on the boolit. Water quenched WW is what I am using.

No idea if letting them sit for a bit will improve accuracy or not. I will find out though=)