Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What was the first gun you ever fired?

Boolit Buddy

I think I was nine years old and the neighbor asked my dad to go shooting and bring me along. We ended up firing a couple of Colt Aces original not conversions and boy did I shoot alot of 22 that day. That was a great day and two very liked guns. I purchased an original conversion kit a few years ago and can't wait to take my kids shooting with them.

The first gun I ever fired was my dad's Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. I was 9 years old and he held onto it so I wouldn't get the full recoil. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time. Been hooked ever since.

new pic, the one I fired was about a 1966 model

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daisy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	59083
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

A Daisey Red Rider...I still have the gun but it has been through hell the last 55 plus years. My brother chopped off the but stock to make himself a "cool" gun. Dad and Mom gave it to me for my 7th or 8th birthday/Christmas present. Yeah, my birthday is close enough to Christmas that I occasionally got a combination present. Heck it was the fifties!!!!!!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	59085 This golden 39a my dad bought when he was a kid. Still looks like this today. First high power was a model 99 savage in 308. His shooting partner and I had the savage re blued and re stocked for dad in the early 90s for a Christmas present. He liked it so much he never fired it again. He didn't want to take a chance on scratching it lol, Got em both now. Still haven't shot the savage. Wish I could find wood like this now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	59086
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    A short .22, I couldn't tell you the make or model to save myself. I was around 6 when my dad took me out the first time with my brothers'.

All I remember is we were on an old low-water bridge and were shooting at paint cans that were laying in the creek.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

HONCHO EMERITUS

I was 7 or 8 years old. Dad was crazy about Pheasant hunting back then. I was allowed to tag along (in the rear of course) with my Daisey Model '94 BB Gun while he and his buddy Bill watched the dog work. Bill owned an Irish Setter named "Shamrock" that was one of the best and smartest bird dogs I've ever seen. Anybody ever tells you that Setters are all dumber than a box of rocks I would have to disagree. They always got their limit when "Sham" was out in front.

On the way back to the house I kept pestering Dad to let me shoot his gun. He finally gave in and located an old coffee can along the fenceline. He set it on the post and handed me his Winchester Mod. 1200 semi-auto after chambering just 1 round because he said shells were too expensive to waste. After he showed me how to push the safety off I drew a bead on the coffee can and peppered it. Hooked for life on anything that went bang.

4 or 5 years later I was twelve and going Pheasant hunting for real the very 1st time. Dad had wrote me a note excusing me from school for opening day of Pheasant season. We were sitting around the coffee table at Bill's house. I was fit to be tied while the men drank coffee and talked for what seemed like forever. All of a sudden "Sham" came over to Bill and laid his head on Bill's knee. He patted the dog on the head and kept talking. I watched the dog as he stared up at Bill for a few seconds, then barked once. That was all it took and it seemed like Bill realized the dog was loosing patience with him. I got in a lot of shooting that day thanks to that old Setter's skill. Sure wish I could relive that day just one more time.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    My first shot was from a Marlin model 89C. My dad had hunted when he was young but had given it up long before I was able to go out. My older brother took me out squirrel hunting for the first time and it was with that old Marlin of my dads. To a very young kid that semi auto 22 was the coolest thing ever. What was even cooler was bringing home my first squirrel that day.

It's the only one of 3 guns that my dad owned. I have the Marlin, my older brother has the Winchester 20 gauge and my younger brother has the single shot 16 gauge.

Dad left us too early in life and I miss him a bunch. I'd trade all my guns to have him back to live a full life.

Boolit Master
    Ha Ha, great thread !! Old memorys are great !
    I was maybe 10 yo, city boy out at great uncles farm, one day asked if I had ever shot a gun, "uuuuhhh no sir", can't have that he says.
    Sears copy of a Win 200 12 ga pump - did I mention I was a very skinny 10 yo ? Knocked me right on my butt. Didn't drop gun, asked to shoot again. Stayed up this time !
    NOW he brings out the .22 bolt gun !!!
    Started a life long love of guns and shooting that day
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    It was a 20 gauge single shot for me at about age 6, and I still have it. Dad handed it to me after a bit of safety instruction, I leveled it at a paper plate on a tree, and proceeded to whallop my shoulder with the recoil. Plate was gone, bark was gone, and I received my first lesson on what happens when the butt of the gun is slightly off the shoulder.

Boolit Master
    Got a Red Ryder bb gun for Christmas when i was 6 or 7, shot the living daylights out of that till i was 8 i believe, then my dad let me shoot my mother's Browning BL-22 on the back porch after a baseball game. What a sweet little gun! Then when i turned 10 my dad saw my grampa about getting great-grampa's 20 guage Ithaca shotgun. I already knew all of my dad's guns by heart, i read anything about guns i could get my hands on, (still do) so i wondered why he needed another pump action 20 guage if he already had a Wingmaster 20 guage? He then took us out and let me shoot the Wingmaster, my brother the Ithaca, then he asked if we liked it, "Yes sir!" "Then they're yours". He had twin boys so he needed twin shotguns to give them! Still have all those guns as well as the Browning BLR .243 that was the first centerfire rifle i ever shot.
    Interesting thing about the Ithaca 20 guage is that in 1968 if you bought a new Ford Camper Special pickup in the little farming town my great-grandpa lived in back them, they gave you a shotgun. Still have the pickup that it came with too, a '68 Ford F-350, runs and drives good!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master
    My first shots came when my Dad took my younger brother and I into the back yard and broke out the Benjamin Pellet rifle. He took a green crayon and drew a bunny on a card board box. My brother and I took turns shooting until Dad got tired of pumping. Hope to do the same with my grandson someday soon. Thank you all for sharing your stories, helped bring back some good memories.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

mine was an old sears pump up 22 cal pellet rifle prob from the early 60's went to a rifle 22 cal marlin shot longs shorts and lr with no prefference shot every time it was a tube fed semi auto ...nice gun
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Buddy
    7 or 8 years old...Daddy got me a .410 bolt action. I think it was a Sears Roebuck but can't remember. In the back yard beside the barn. Coffee can on a wood pile under a big old Walnut tree. Daddy shot it first and I got scared. He made me shoot it. After the first shot, I didn't want to stop shooting.

Boolit Master
    The first rifle I fired was a daisy BB gun with a lever action that my Aunt owned. I do not know how old I was but I could not cock it myself. First cartridge gun was a 22 punp in a shooting gallery in Conney Island. The first one I owned was a sporterized Number 4 MK1 Enfield in 303.

1955,7yrs old ,10 gauge single shot,my step uncle though it would be funny,it was to every one but me.took two years to get me to fire another gun,havent stopped since.

My first shot was fired from a Savage model 23, in 25-20 Winchester. Dad brought it home from work one day, and my younger brother and I were excited that Dad had acquired a 22. He'd won the gun (used) in a raffle, along with two boxes of ammo. Some time later, he took my younger brother and me down to the town dump, where we plinked a couple of shots each at a rock in the river, some 200 yards away, and then at a couple of tin cans. We didn't shoot up very many cartridges. Nobody in our small town reloaded, and Dad made those two boxes of ammo last for several years. My 3 brothers and I all got started deer hunting with that little rifle. I never got one with it, but one of my brothers got about 4 bucks with it, never taking more than two shots each year. Memories!

Boolit Master

Ithica single shot 20 gauge that I received for my 13th birthday. Still have it and shoot it every once in awhile, waiting for my Grandson to get 13 and then I will pass it on to him. Took a lot of dove and quail with that gun and countless rabbits.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldarkie View Post
    1955,7yrs old ,10 gauge single shot,my step uncle though it would be funny,it was to every one but me.took two years to get me to fire another gun,havent stopped since.
    That kind of thing has turned a lot of people away from ever shooting a gun again. I would never do that to someone, but have witnessed it several times over the years, and I have invariably chewed some butt.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    First shots were from a co2 pellet rifle, Crossman I think, when I was 5. Dad and I would shoot from one side of the cellar to a newspaper bundle on the other side. He thumbtacked targets to the bundle. By the time I was in first grade I could hit all 4 thumbtacks in the target with one shot each. First real gun to shoot was a model 42 Winchester pump .410.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast