Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What was the first gun you ever fired?

Boolit Master

What was the first gun you ever fired?

Hope I'm not being redundant here. Also, couldn't find a more appropriate area to place this thread. Moderators, please move it if I've messed this up.

First gun I shot was a 1950ish Winchester Model 67a bolt action 22. I was 2 years old. Dad put the finger ring on the bolt because I couldn't grip the bolt tight enough to pull it back to cock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130119-00141 (Small).jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	58943

Folks laid it across a folding canvas camp stool which put it at just about shoulder height for me.

Still in exactly the same shape it was in 55 years ago.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

For me, it was a Glenfield (forget the model) tube magazine, bolt action .22 rifle, at age 7 or 8 -- that rifle was probably made in the late 1950s, and I traded it away in the 1980s, not knowing then that it had belonged to my granddad (thought my own father had bought it). Similar setup to yours, though I didn't need help operating the bolt (my bother, three years younger, did, a little). Don't recall that I hit anything, but I already knew enough about how guns operate (was a big reader from an early age) to be surprised that there wasn't a kick.

Boolit Master

.22 H&R Plainsman here.

Boolit Man

Stevens 15A .22LR single shot falling block (I think it's commonly called a Crackshot or Favorite) when I was about 4 years old shooting at cans sitting on fenceposts at my Grandparents farm. Still remember it well sixty years later. The birth of a gun nut thanks to my Dad.

My first real job boss gave a 300 winchester mag it was his model 70

Boolit Master
    Mauser 22lr bolt action clip fed repeater, a man size rifle. I couldnt hold it up by myself. Man that was an accurate 22. My Dad brought it back from Germany on his return from WW2.
    He didnt talk about the war much but when he passed on the family found a bunch of medals tucked away in his foot locker.
    He did tell me about being a BAR man fighting their way across open farm country but when they got in to the city cleaning up streat to streat he said he traded for a Thompson because it was better suited to the typr of fighting in a city. God bless you Dad!

Old Stevens Bolt Action clip feed 22Lr. I believe I was 8 at the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester Model 61 across the tailgate of Dad's old 65 Dodge Powerwagon, not sure the age, but given the other factors as I remember them I was likely 5, maybe 6. Then & for the next 15 or so years it had some feed issues, thought it shot great, in the late 80's while home burning "use it or lose it Leave" I fixed the feed issues(one minor broken piece), since then it will feed about anything as fact as you want to pump it & pull the trigger...

Growing up we fed the family on game(most any game we could find in western Oregon in addition to trout steelhead & salmon), and this .22 was the perfect unit for Grouse & Quail, shoot them in the head & no BB's to pick out or eat around.

None of the guns I either already have from Dad, or will inherit on his passing will ever go other than to pass down to my daughter, but if for some reason they were to, this old model 61 would be the last.

Boolit Master
    A 44mag at age 6. My step-dad held it around me. I was hooked as soon as that round hit the target on the tree and took out a chunk of wood the size of a mans fist. My father quickly tried to one up him by helping me fire one of his investment guns. A mac 10 full auto back in 1981 or so. That didn't go so well, but no one got hurt from the half rainbow of projectiles that I sprayed in that short burst of 10 or so rounds. My father let me shoot it on my own, but put an arm across my forearms. I don't think he was prepared for the recoil to be that unmanageable by me since I shot a 44 mag, but my step-father also was holding it with me. My father wasn't to bright that day, but we lived.

Boolit Master

6 rounds out of an uncle's 44mag at about age 5 or 6. He was leery of letting me try, but did with VERY close supervision (his hand almost cupping both of mine holding the pistol). I was a better shot than my 5 years older brother.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Winchester 67- Dad made me fill two old pillow cases with dirt and laid on old Army green wool blanket at around 8 years old. I have a grandson getting close, I have the rifle. Guess what he has coming? Gtek

Boolit Master
    First gun I remember shooting was a rem 742 in 30-06 or 308, don't know which. My dad held it up for me and as it was almost dark I was really impressed with the muzzle flash.
    About 7 or 8 dad bought me a win 67a just like the OP without the finger ring of course. I hunted constantly but couldn't hold the gun up and rarely killed anything. So dad traded it for a savage 24 in 22/410 and the squirrels, rabbets, quail were in harms way now.

As a side note, once while taking the 67 off the rack I dropped it and broke the nut that held the stock on. Dad took it to the local welder who arc welded it back on. It was a pretty ugly weld and the bolt cross threaded but held the stock on ok.
    Years later my FIL bought a 67a for my daughter and I remarked that my first gun looked just like it. While cleaning it one day we pulled the stock off and what do you know!
    My daughter still has it.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Ithaca single shot .22 probably 40-45 years ago. Still in my gun safe though.

Boolit Master

Marlin 39A .22. It was my dads gun he had along with a Frontier Scout .22 pistol and a custom holster rig made for it. He used to love to play "Sodbuster" and I believe he thought he was actually "Hoss" from Bonanza which was his favorite show. Unfortunately his house was broken into and the Marlin, the pistol, and one beautiful Belgian Browning 12 gauge over and under skeet gun
    was stolen. I've still got the holster although it's a bit small for me now.............he got the insurance to pay off but was so dismayed he never did replace them. Makes me sick. That Browning alone would have been worth several K by now.............

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

I was 7 or 8 and the gun was a Remington single-shot .22 (probably an M514), pulled out of the 'used' rack at the gun & tack shop that was my uncle's favorite hang-out.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Super Moderator

Mine was my Uncle's Winchester Model 62A pump .22. I now have the rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Hope I'm not being redundant here. Also, couldn't find a more appropriate area to place this thread. Moderators, please move it if I've messed this up.

First gun I shot was a 1950ish Winchester Model 67a bolt action 22. I was 2 years old. Dad put the finger ring on the bolt because I couldn't grip the bolt tight enough to pull it back to cock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130119-00141 (Small).jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	58943

Folks laid it across a folding canvas camp stool which put it at just about shoulder height for me.

Still in exactly the same shape it was in 55 years ago.

smokeywolf
    I shot one just like this one and used it for many years. It was my fathers that he had given to him by my Grandfather. My brother now has it and I have my Dad's old Winchester 74 semi-auto. My first shotgun that I shot was my uncles old 10 guage double, knocked me on my butt because my brother told me to pull both triggers at once. (damn older brothers)

Boolit Mold
    After completely wearing out a "pump action" Daisy BB, my Dad bought me a Model 47 Win single shot for my birthday. One of the happiest days of my life! I was 8 or 9 (1954 or 1955). He paid $9. for it, at a pawn shop. Traded the Model 47 when I was 15 to a kid for a 1911 45acp built by Smith-Corona. Regrettably have neither now!

Gary

Boolit Master

Daisy pump action BB gun around 1955-56. Guy down the street was shooting it asked if I wanted to try it. Hooked ever since! Tim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    Daisy pump action BB gun around 1955-56. Guy down the street was shooting it asked if I wanted to try it. Hooked ever since! Tim
    I hadn't even thought about BB guns. I DO remember having to place the muzzle on the ground and use my whole body and both hands to cock my first one. I have no idea how old I was.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast