Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What was the first gun you ever fired?

Boolit Master

First time I remember pretty well. I was 4 1/2 yrs old. Dad took me squirrel hunting for the first time ever. Blackbird sitting on powerline...he got me in front of him, put the Winchester up to my shoulder, got behind me, and helped hold it up and told me to pull the trigger.
    That model 12 flat out kicked my butt!
    He laughed....and i have been hooked on guns ever since. Just wish he would of stayed around and not moved when mom and him got divorced. I would of gotten more experience hunting with him. But the bug bit. I was hunting on my own at 8yrs old.
    At 8 yrs old, mom would give me 1 shotgun shell for my H&R 20 ga.
    I take my shell, go to the 5 acre pasture beside us, kick up a rabbit, miss, go tromping back and yell mom I missed, I need another shell.
    Get my shell, go back to the pasture, kick up a rabbit, go tromping back to the house......
    I played this routine for 2 yrs....but on the 2nd yr mom gave me 5 shells to take.
    Towards the end of the season, i finally connected!! I hit that rabbit and rolled him!!
    Thing was, being my first kill with something other than my bb gun and spatsys....he kept kicking!!
    Needless 5 shots later i killed him...he quit twitching!!
    I went and picked that rabbit up and I swear he rattled from the lead shot in him!!
    Took him to my neighbors to clean, he laughed and shook his head when i blurted the story of my "great rabbit hunt" out to him.
    Ended up throwing him in the field behind the house for the yotes. I bet those yotes lost a few teeth eating that carcass!!!

Boolit Master
    Great story 41 mag fan.
    With all the bad news and the imminent threat to our right to bear arms, to enjoy and to hand down the legacies handed down to us by dads, uncles, and sometimes moms, this thread is a bright spot in my day.

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your memories.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

1911 Springfield

Banned
    I believe it was a Winchester model 1890 ...1906 version 22 short gallery gun. At least that is the one I grew up with. What a great first gun for a kid.

Muzzleloader, CVA .45 Kentucky rifle. 1st one I made from a kit too, still got it, 40 years later.

Boolit Master
    The first gun, an old Benjamin Franklin .22 air pistol, still have it.

1st Powder burner, H&R Pioneer, single shot .22lr. I regretfully sold it about 20+yrs ago.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

First gun was a daisy lever action BB gun forget what model but it had the target type front and rear sights on it must have killed hundreds of chimpmunks when I would go on big game safaris after school ! Lol moved up to a 22 marlin tube fed bolt action . .
    First pistol was a webley tempest pellet pistol next was dads single six , first shotgun was an old win 37A youth model 20 ga
    First centerfire rifle I ever shot was my beloved model 600 in 35 Rem at age 11 , thought that thing kicked like a mule way back then
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

My first cartridge gun was a Winchester model 74. Finally wore it completely out, would hate to think how many 10's or 100's of thousands of rounds it has fired. Before that a Red Ryder!

BB gun then a 22lr blot action in scouts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A Remington 341 Sportsmaster, .22S/L/LR. I still have it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

First pistol? A .41 Remington derringer ( two shots- both hit the pond I was aiming at!) First shotgun- Stevens m235 12 ga.hammer sxs- put me on my butt; Dad caught the gun. First rifle- Reminton 511.22 bolt action. First deer rifle- Winchester 30-30. I don't recall who owned the derringer but the others are still on the farm. I got the 30-30 and last year Jes made it a 38-55!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1966 variety, if my memory serves me correct, Browning T-bolt. I was 10 and I spent an entire summer learning to shoot with my Scoutmaster. Had to have been thousands of rounds downrange, as his standards for the Rifle and Shotgun merit badge, and those of the BSA were, uh...let's just say, not even in the same universe!!
    The old fart moved back to his home country (England) probably 20 years ago, and left the old Browning with me. Still my primary squirrel rifle, and the one that all three of my kids have learned to shoot with. They were a bit grumpy with the progression from irons, to a peep, to a scope, but they're all better shots today for it, as was I.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

Red Rider
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

In Remembrance
    My introduction to shooting was from my Grandpa. He gave me a red rider bb gun for Christmas. As I remember it, Mom and Grandma were not happy about it but Grandpa's word was final. Next Christmas he took me rabbit hunting. Grandpa let me use his 22 auto (I think it was a Rem.) and he used his shotgun. He spotted a rabbit next to a fence post, pointed it out to me. I started banging away only to jump it up after 3 or 4 shots. Grandpa stepped in to finish what I started. My dad got the rifle when Grandpa passed. Shortly the need of money for the young airman to support wife and family caused that 22 rifle to be sold. I was not a happy camper for quite a spell. Got me a paper route and carried papers in the snow and ice thru the winter and picked cotton in fall to earn enough money to buy a used Remington 510 target master single shot 22 rifle. I cannot start to say the count of rabbits, squirrels, snakes, turtles, and other game I will not mention. Still have it today fully restored. I still shoot it on occasion just to recall the times of yesteryear with Grandpa and Dad whom have both passed years ago.

Boolit Master
    Nice for y'all to ask us older people to remember such..

Other than a BB gun of some sort it was either a bolt action .410 or a .22 that my cousin owned.
    I think. I do remember shortly thereafter at Christmas my parents bought me a Sears .22 bolt action that held 25 shorts, 20 longs, or 18 long rifles. I was in the 5th grade at the time.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    I was 7 or 8 years old. Dad was crazy about Pheasant hunting back then. I was allowed to tag along (in the rear of course) with my Daisey Model '94 BB Gun while he and his buddy Bill watched the dog work. Bill owned an Irish Setter named "Shamrock" that was one of the best and smartest bird dogs I've ever seen. Anybody ever tells you that Setters are all dumber than a box of rocks I would have to disagree. They always got their limit when "Sham" was out in front.

On the way back to the house I kept pestering Dad to let me shoot his gun. He finally gave in and located an old coffee can along the fenceline. He set it on the post and handed me his Winchester Mod. 1200 semi-auto after chambering just 1 round because he said shells were too expensive to waste. After he showed me how to push the safety off I drew a bead on the coffee can and peppered it. Hooked for life on anything that went bang.

4 or 5 years later I was twelve and going Pheasant hunting for real the very 1st time. Dad had wrote me a note excusing me from school for opening day of Pheasant season. We were sitting around the coffee table at Bill's house. I was fit to be tied while the men drank coffee and talked for what seemed like forever. All of a sudden "Sham" came over to Bill and laid his head on Bill's knee. He patted the dog on the head and kept talking. I watched the dog as he stared up at Bill for a few seconds, then barked once. That was all it took and it seemed like Bill realized the dog was loosing patience with him. I got in a lot of shooting that day thanks to that old Setter's skill. Sure wish I could relive that day just one more time.
    The 1200 was a pump. The 1400 was the semi
    Don Verna

The first gun I shot was when I was 15 my oldest half brother let me shot his FN-49 8mm Mauser that he bought at a store in Northwoods Mall in Charleston, SC in around the late 1980s. I was there with him when he bought it. I’ve been trying to buy it for him for years now but I bought a really nices FN-49 but mine is in 7mm Mauser about 2 years ago. His FN-49 is really good but mine looks like it is new and no it not one of the Century Arms put together ones that you see all over place. Mine is one of the Venezuela and my Bother’s is an Egyptian and both are all original

Boolit Buddy
    Like many have said, my first was a Daisy BB lever rifle. It was a Christmas present when I was 7 and I went rabbit hunting with my Dad and a neighbor that Christmas day. Both of them would try to just cripple a rabbit with their shotguns so I could finish it with a BB to the head. I'll always remember that Christmas day. About the same time Dad started me shooting our Winchester model 67. It sat by the back door, always with a round in it, for the quick shot at a fox or crow on the farm. The old Winchester had been my great granddads and was handed down through the years. My brother owns it now and it will go to his son. It was used for killing butchering hogs, squirrel hunting and packed with a hay string sling on it on many coon hunts over the years. I couldn't guess how many rounds it had through it or how many different animals it has taken but it's been a bunch.

Boolit Grand Master

With the exception of a BB gun, probably a 22 rifle. As far as handguns go, I’m pretty confident it was my fathers Beretta 87 Target 22 while on a range in Germany as a kid. I also managed to get the muzzle behind the leather front rest and put a hole through it. Dad never let me forget every time we went shooting decades later! I miss him so much.

Boolit Master

model 34 remington about 1960.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast