Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What was the first gun you ever fired?

I had a BB gun when I was a kid cried my eyes out when I shot my first bird.
    Laughed pretty hard when I shot the neighbors dog in the dangly bits as he was in our garbage cans.
    Drug his hind end across the lawn on his way out.

First real gun I shot was my fathers SMLE #5 Mrk1. I inherited it when he passed.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Was a Boy Scout in Colorado in a troop on an Air Force base. We were doing some remote camping in the mountains when the Scout Master dug out his M1911 and allowed each of us to shoot at a beaver pond downhill. That was and still is one of my fondest childhood memories.

Always wanted one of those, but settled on a Walther PPQ 45 which I have become fond of.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

The first rifle I ever fired was a Remington Fieldmaster 572 pump .22. I was 16 years old. It still stands out in my mind because it was a fairly scarce variation of those Remington rifles that had a set of very lightly coloured "honey" blond stocks with a brown anodized aluminum receiver. (Same as the one in the bottom of the photo.)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Winchester Model 64 30/30...58 years ago.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Hope I'm not being redundant here. Also, couldn't find a more appropriate area to place this thread. Moderators, please move it if I've messed this up.

First gun I shot was a 1950ish Winchester Model 67a bolt action 22. I was 2 years old. Dad put the finger ring on the bolt because I couldn't grip the bolt tight enough to pull it back to cock.

Attachment 58943

Folks laid it across a folding canvas camp stool which put it at just about shoulder height for me.

Still in exactly the same shape it was in 55 years ago.

smokeywolf
    Have one of those but not my first. Remington 510 targetmaster. Dad still has and will be in my home someday. Be given to one of my children.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Buddy
    Hi All,

A good thread! Lots of good memory's!
    My older cousins had a old Winchester 22 single shot their dad gave them.

The family rule was "If you could pull the bolt knob back, you were old enough to shoot it!"
    It took me about a year to grow up a bit, to pull it back my two cousins taught me how to shoot,in their basement with 22 shorts!
    About a year later in the summer, Mom & Dad took me on the subway to Coney island in Brooklyn NY.
    I see a REAL shooting gallery! You could win a prize & have your picture taken. This was the early 50's the cost to shoot was big money at the time 25 cents for 1 shot as I recall! Dad would not spring for the money!
    I used my 25 cent weekly allowance to shoot the BULLS-EYE!
    I STILL have that picture! Mom & Dad had no idea, I knew how to shoot!

The BB guns were about a 10 cents for a tube of BB's
    Seventy years later I'm still plinking away ! LOL

Enjoy every day,
    broom

Boolit Master

The cheapest Daisy lever available, got it when I was 8. First real firearm was Dad's 870 12 guage, the only firearm he owned at the time.

Boolit Buddy
    1st? Winchester .22 single shot that my Grandma loaded for me when we were shooting cans off of her back porch. I was 7 yrs. old. 2nd I might add was a Win. double barreled 12 gauge, that my uncle said to "pull both triggers!" on as he threw the can up in the air. I ended up with a black eye and a bloodied nose on that one. I thought Grandma was gonna kill him. Ohh man, I wished I could go back and do it all over again.

Boolit Bub
    At about age 3 or 4, my uncle and dad drove us out to the Addicks dam spillway, way out Westheimer rd in Hou, Tx. About 10mi past the city limits in those days. I got to fire a .22 Woodsman from the car window.... Been hooked ever since.

Boolit Master
    I had an uncle in Nebraska that had a farm and raised wallabies Pygmy goats and some other strange critters he was also a deputy sheriff and the assistant editor for a small town newspaper on his farm was an old silo he kept corn in that was infested with rats and birds he gave my cousin about 10 and me about 8 a baby browning 22 and a box of rat shot and we would spend hours in the silo shooting rats and birds we had a great time!

Boolit Buddy
    My first was a Stevens single shot .410 at 5 years old. It was my Dads rabbit gun. He used to say " if I can't get'em with one shot they deserve to live another day.". Was the first gun my son and daughter both shot. Take it out occasionally and shoot some skeet (not very well) to remember "TOM" (The Old Man). Wish I could go back 58 years!

I had a uncle that was a single guy forever and had lots of guns. At one time he lived in a trailer that was about a hundred yards off of Lake Erie and there was a water channel big enough for a small boat to access the lake right behind his trailer.
    My dad only owned one gun, a Winchester 67 single shot 22 and I always wanted to shoot it but he always said I was to young and wasn't even allowed to touch it. I had a BB gun and knew a few safety rules and could hit things pretty good with it.
    I pestered him ( his word ) relentlessly one day when I was 10-11 about shooting the 22 and he finally gave in. We went out to my uncles place were I could shoot it and it just happened to be when the channel was full of spawning carp. When I say full of I mean by the thousands along the bank with half of there bodies sticking up above the water. So my dad and my uncle watched as I shot those carp one after another. I was in carp killin heaven ! The bullets made a nice loud thump when you shot them fat bodied trash fish. Some of them were over 3 feet long and were not easily killed ! I would have been entertained for life shooting them but after a while my uncle put a end to it because he knew they would stink up the area and he wasn't about to go pick them up and the water was to deep to wade through so I didn't either.
    I am pretty sure even then that shooting fish with a rifle was illegal but where he lived there wasn't anyone within a half mile and shooting was common.
    After that I got to hunt squirrels with the 22 and shot carp with a bow and a barbed solid arrow.

I still have the rifle !

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy

My first gun was my Grandfather's Md 36 Winchester, 9mm shotgun. He used it for vermin. I used to shoot dove with... I never killed many and none on the wing. My Dad put me near a dead tree and I actually knocked a few down. I had a game warden come on me . Not for my license (I had none) but to see what kind of gun I was shooting.

I did not know anything about anything. My Dad had been taking me when he went hunting.. I was a pick up boy . I did know that I had to be careful and Watch where I pointed and don't take any shot unless it was safe . Oh I did know one other thing , boy did I like shooting. As with every one here, there is more , much more... But all in all it's like the first kiss, some things are best sealed in memory...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Single shot 22 at YMCA summer camp, and I was 8.

Boolit Master

A Daisy BB gun was the first,
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

A huge heavy Full-Stocked Mossberg Bolt Gun that had a 3/4" Scope on it. I was 4yrs yrs old. Guess My Dad got rid of it when I was about 10yrs old.
    Rested it on an old aluminum chair back. Shot at soda cans, Dad helped hold it up. 5rd clip, hit 2 cans.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    When I was about 3 we lived on a farm. My dad had a Walthers 22 Olympic target pistol he had brought back from his adventures in WWII. One day he took the pistol out in the front yard to shoot a chicken for dinner and after popping one he set the gun down and went to plucking the chicken.
    I toddled up behind him picked up the gun and said "me shoot". He whirled around just in time to get a 22 bullet through his pant leg. Missed his leg but that was the last time he left a loaded gun anywhere and the first time I shot a gun. I don't remember any of this but that's the story my dad told.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably my dad's Red Ryder BB gun, I remember shooting it with my dad at around 9-10. First real firearm I remember was a 20 gauge for trap at a banking convention in Sun Valley ID with my dad when I was about 12-13.

Boolit Master
    The first gun I ever fired was my fathers .22 RL Harrington & Richardson 922 9 shot Pull Pin revolver .
    I shot it for the first time when I was about 10 years old.
    My father passed away in May of last Year.
    The pistol is now mine.
    It is in Mint condition
    He still had it in the original Box With the receipt dated 9-18-1952 and the owners manual.
    The pistol is a month older than I am.

Boolit Master
    First gun I fired was a Hubley cap gun. Second was a sawed off .410 single shot. My cousins were holding it single handed, like a pistol. I was 5 years younger and smaller. I tried the one handed technique. Pulled the trigger. Gun went boom and landed in the dirt behind me. We didn't play that game anymore that day

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast