Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H110 in .45 Colt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    "History is not my fixation so forgive me."
    You try to make studying the history of firearms sound bad to an extent. I do not study the history of firearms much at all but since I am interested in firearms I like to broaden my knowledge of them in whatever field of firearms i am into. No different than someone in photography studying up on cameras and lenses etc. or something else.
    And for your edification they do make both sizes. The full size Blackhawk and the mid frame Flat Top Blackhawk sold by exclusive dealers such as Lipsey's
    Hope this helps in adding to your knowledge bank so as to not cause further confusion in the coming months and years.
    No, not bad and I praise those that know. Good to hear they make both sizes.
    My work is just to make a revolver shoot, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have time to study, besides, at my age memory is a thing of the past! I can forget my zip code for Heavens sake.
    Some writers can go through history about every gun right down to a day but can't make anything shoot. I only ask what counts to a gun owner?
    The question was about H110 and notice I did mention frame and cylinder sizes so you can't give me bad marks on that.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You specifically need to quit worrying about bad marks given to you by anyone. They mean nothing. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I use 22gr H110/W296 under a lee 300gr boolit in my NMBH, it is the large frame, not the flat top or new vaquero mid frame. This is a load in the 30,000psi category.

Boolit Master
    "The question was about H110 and notice I did mention frame and cylinder sizes so you can't give me bad marks on that. "
    No one was giving bad marks on anything. Just trying to clear up a misconception on the guns.
    If I remember correctly the indecision on the term Flat Top came up on a previous post elsewhere..
    Anyway I don't see how trying to clear something up could be construed as giving bad marks.
    Education is a great thing. I wish I had more of it. No different than you educating all of us on loads, powder, primers, bullets and all things shooting.
    Never too old to learn or smart enough to know all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use 22gr H110/W296 under a lee 300gr boolit in my NMBH, it is the large frame, not the flat top or new vaquero mid frame. This is a load in the 30,000psi category.
    Unless your bullet seats quite deep you should have plenty of room to work up from 22gr if you so desire. But if you are happy with the load speed and accuracy then I should just shut up

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the replies and your .45 experience. The Ruger is a BH so it should handle BH data just fine. For those who say H110 is not optimal, you may be right, but it is what I have on hand. Once the panic dies down and other powders are more available I may switch him out to a different powder.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    "The question was about H110 and notice I did mention frame and cylinder sizes so you can't give me bad marks on that. "
    No one was giving bad marks on anything. Just trying to clear up a misconception on the guns.
    If I remember correctly the indecision on the term Flat Top came up on a previous post elsewhere..
    Anyway I don't see how trying to clear something up could be construed as giving bad marks.
    Education is a great thing. I wish I had more of it. No different than you educating all of us on loads, powder, primers, bullets and all things shooting.
    Never too old to learn or smart enough to know all things.
    Thank you for understanding.
    The term just had the feeling that the ears added to strength, my bad about frame sizes in some of the guns. It brings back memories of the original FT that was as strong as anything ever made by Ruger.
    Some history from me. I watched a RUGER BH .45 Colt being shot and it was awful at close range. Turned me off and it was not until I bought the Vaquero and had done a lot of revolver work with the .44 that I found the tight throats on the .45. I hand lapped the throats to fit my boolits and actually got some 1" groups at 75 yards. Then I was cleaning my gun at a shoot, left the cylinder in my box on another table to find my box was gone. Maybe a mistake from someone but none the less, I did not get it back. I called Ruger and they made me a new cylinder ---FREE! I sent a check and got it back, called and was told there is no charge. I also had to lap the new cylinder.
    Then about a year later I was sent my box back, the fella did not know how to find me so now I have two cylinders. A tribute to both Ruger and our shooter friends. Just a simple mistake since we had the same boxes.
    But you can see why I kept away from the .45 BH's for so long after watching a good shooter spray the target.
    Would "small frame" or "large frame" be better then "flat top?"

Boolit Master
    It's not that the powder isn't a good one in fact it's been a gold standard for upper end loads regards to lower pressures at high velocities while achieving great accuracy. It just isn't the best medicine for shooting lighter end target loads.

On paper it looks like the window is small. That small window in reality makes a fire breathing trainstopper into a all day pleasant shooter. it has always amazed me how 1 grain of 296/h110 either way can make such big difference in felt recoil and/ or accuracy.

Boolit Master
    That is the reason 2400 is a powder worth looking into. It is more forgiving, will give nearly close velocities and accuracy will be just fine.
    I don't care about hearing how one can shoot the eyes out of a gnat at 100 yards, with it on the fly either, with H110/W296.
    I dare say most on here isn't that good to be able to tell the difference.
    I will give up a BIT of accuracy and velocity for VERSATILIY . Notice I said a BIT of accuracy. Not a lot of accuracy.
    2400, I know wasn't in the original post, but it is a good powder with better vesatility in how it can be used. Meaning wider charge weights with less issues than trying to swing wide charge weights with H110/W296.
    I like H110/W296 a lot but.... it's versatility or lack thereof can be proven by oneself.
    Later on try some 2400. You may just like it.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12