MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H110 in .45 Colt

Boolit Master

H110 in .45 Colt

A friend needs some .45 Colt ammo capable of handgun hunting, not cowboy shooting. With the current run on supplies I took a look at load data for powders and bullets I currently have. Hodgdon's data for H110 and jacketed bullets in .45 Ruger revolvers seems generous compared to what I used to use in .44 Mag. I also found a Taffin article on cast boolits with a reference to rather stiff charges of H110.

Has anyone used H110 in .45 Colt? I've burned lots of H110, but never in .45 Colt.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Mold
    H110 is more for a tight charge . Dont know if it would be good in a loose load. . May have miss fire or delay fire

Have had good results using it, but min/max is a real fine line sometimes. Have had velocity drop with cold temps and non-magnum primers. Make sure the gun is capable of the stouter loads. Not for the "new" vaquero.

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon's site has good data there. Just note that H110 is for 80% loads and UP,
    NOT down. I use it for 'full power' Ruger loads only.

What boolit or bullet do you have in mind? What velocity are you looking for?
    What gun?

For example, a load of around 1000 fps with Unique or Power Pistol with a Keith
    250 gr or approximately will pass through any deer from end to end, and will
    be safe in any of the .45 Colt guns. What more is needed? (well - good shot
    placement IS needed)

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    A friend needs some .45 Colt ammo capable of handgun hunting, not cowboy shooting. With the current run on supplies I took a look at load data for powders and bullets I currently have. Hodgdon's data for H110 and jacketed bullets in .45 Ruger revolvers seems generous compared to what I used to use in .44 Mag. I also found a Taffin article on cast boolits with a reference to rather stiff charges of H110.

Has anyone used H110 in .45 Colt? I've burned lots of H110, but never in .45 Colt.

For top end loads in the 45 Colt I have used H-110/296 since 1985 and IMHO is the best for the job in the old Colt

Boolit Master
    I use H-110 (and a 330gr boolit) a lot in my Ruger .45 Colt Bisley Hunter. BUT only in a full size Ruger frame, NO FLAT TOPS!

In my Ruger bisley h110/296 is the only powder to use to get both accuracy and velocity from my 345gr loads

Banned

the reason those charges seem generous is the case is much larger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    the reason those charges seem generous is the case is much larger.
    Yep...

A bit of quick math (approximate measurements of course!!!) indicates the 45 Colt is about 13% larger in capacity than the 44 Magnum...

Not to say you can use 44 Magnum data increased by 13% for 45 Colt loads of similar boolit weights though...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned

+1 to MtGun44 - a 250 to 300 grain bullet with a large meplat, at 1000 to 1200 fps, will smoke anything out there and shoot through any animal, short of an elephant, on a broadside. I would use 2400 as I just do not see the need to use H110, but for some more is better and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Boolit Master
    H110 for Large frame Ruger 45 colts or TC's for SAA and Clones it's not an optimal powder to use due to the lower, safe pressures of those firearms . H110 is good for pushing high velocity and/or large for caliber bullets/boolits. I use it for 300-345 grainers in a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt and a Ruger SRH 454 Casull but would never use this large of a boolit or H110 in the wifey's Ruger 45 Colt Flat Top. I've also used 2400 for mid house Ruger Large Frames in 45 Colt class. Right now I have been working a lot with Enforcer/Accurate Arms 4100 and it's a darn good powder for mid to upper Ruger Only loads.

Banned

I use 296 in my older Vaquero. Samo, samo as H110.
    But references to flat top and SBH's with ears to protect sights confuses me. If frame sizes are the same they take the same loads. Only reduced frame and cylinder sizes demand lighter loads. It has nothing to do with sight ears.
    Take a look at minimum load and max load pressures between 2400 and 296, some 2400 loads have more pressure. The rest are so close it is not worth the effort.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I use 296 in my older Vaquero. Samo, samo as H110.
    But references to flat top and SBH's with ears to protect sights confuses me. If frame sizes are the same they take the same loads. Only reduced frame and cylinder sizes demand lighter loads. It has nothing to do with sight ears.
    Take a look at minimum load and max load pressures between 2400 and 296, some 2400 loads have more pressure. The rest are so close it is not worth the effort.

+1.........

Boolit Master
    Yep, my reference to the Ruger 45 Colt Flat Top is of the newer one that has the small frame and cylinder.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Yep, my reference to the Ruger 45 Colt Flat Top is of the newer one that has the small frame and cylinder.
    OK, a cowboy action gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Geraldo
    I have used H110 exclusively when I had a 45c Bisley
    if you want some good loads for it take a look @ John Linebaugh's loads for the same cal using H110
    I must have burned near 16# of it,it happens to be one of my favorites for top end hunting loads
    like 44man says w296 is the same and load data can be interchanged
    best.... have fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

I don't keep up because I can't afford more guns. I did not know the Ruger BH .45 was downsized. I know about the Vaquero going smaller, mine was built on a .44 mag frame. Early .45's were too. I understand they had the sight ears.
    History is not my fixation so forgive me. It was only "flat top" that confuses.
    I hunt and shoot long range so I do not want a small .45. I think Ruger went too far to satisfy some sports and should have made both sizes. They create a problem with "Ruger Only" loads in manuals too.

Boolit Master
    "History is not my fixation so forgive me."
    You try to make studying the history of firearms sound bad to an extent. I do not study the history of firearms much at all but since I am interested in firearms I like to broaden my knowledge of them in whatever field of firearms i am into. No different than someone in photography studying up on cameras and lenses etc. or something else.
    And for your edification they do make both sizes. The full size Blackhawk and the mid frame Flat Top Blackhawk sold by exclusive dealers such as Lipsey's
    Hope this helps in adding to your knowledge bank so as to not cause further confusion in the coming months and years.

Boolit Master

My older BH loves H110/296 with heavy boolits and mag primers. I use it for my 300 and 340 gr and shoot very good. My hands are starting to not like it though. Dang arthritis. I always use either Federal or Starline brass due to a little heavier web construction.

Re: H110 in .45 Colt

I've used it under a 250 gr XTP for hunting, but I worked them up and shot quite a few during the summer (100º+ out) and when I shot them during the winter to get ready for dear season (<32º out) there was a noticeable difference in recoil, volume, and I'm guessing velocity. POA really didn't change at the ranges I was shooting (<35 yards). I would suggest maybe you work up indoors, but other than that H110 is absolutely great for powerhouse 45 Blackhawk. I've never used it with cast because I don't have any data but if you had data, I'm sure it'd do great.
    There is no replacement for displacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast