RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Streamlining Softnose Production

Earlier, I was thinking of not removing the boolit from SAECO 352 until she's done but now I'm thinking it actually might be easier to cast with two pots and two dippers. I can't get my Lyman MagDipper very hot but I sure can do 870F with my MasterCaster, the latter of which will hold the hard alloy and "cook" the mold. The only problem might be keeping the nose formula hot enough in the tiny dipper so it will completely empty into SAECO 352.

MJ

Oh, oh... I don't think I have enough power to run two pots

Well... back to the pre-cast nose idea.

For the handgun bullets I have cast I used my Lee Production pot for my hard alloy and had a smaller cast iron pot on my Coleman stove. Got my mold hot by casting bullets then set it in the melt on the stove. Once the lead would run off the mold I used my 9MM case dipper to pour the lead nose. I then kept the mold level as I could and poured the shank from the Production Pot. The bullets came out seamless. I have done some where the nose would have partially hardened with similar results.

For hunting bullets I am going to try BrushBuster's method and pre cut my nose tips off of fishing lead rolls.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    "Precut my nose tips off fishing lead rolls".......That's the best tip yet Bob.....

MJ...Hornady and I think Speer make lead balls for muzzle loaders and just plain ole shot of various sizes....If you don't have fishing lead on rolls where you live the balls would work...so would spit shot...when I was a kid I always would set the split shot on the line with my teeth....should have died of lead poisoning years ago...

The last time I was in Wal-Mart they had cheap electric hot plates that use a bare coil similar to the old electric range tops that were somewhat popular back in the 60's and 70's. Would something like this transfer enough heat to a SAECO 352 mold to the job? I'd like to be able to place a lead 311252 in the SAECO 352, set the mold on the hot plate, pour in the hard alloy, turn the hot plate up, wait for the spure to liquify and top the mold off with hard alloy. After I have a full mold sitting on the hot plate, turn the hot plate down so the boolit hardens and open the mold.

How's this sound? Is it worth buying a 311252 and another hot plate to try out this method? I've already got a Wally-World hot plate to warm molds but it's a more modern design that won't even approach 600F.

MJ

It might but why not just dip your hot mold in the melt since you have the shank alloy melted already with the lead core in the mold. Wait a second or two and the core would be melted and you are good to go.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

The idea of the hot plate is to keep SAECO 352 level.

MJ

I was concerned about that as well. I found that as long as I did my part in getting the mold level when I withdrew the mold from the melt and made sure when I poured the shank the mold was level I got a level seam. FWIW I also found I was having about a 30% rejection rate for various reasons.

Take Care

Bob

I think I'm going to go ahead and try this lil' experiment with SAECO 322 (nose section) and 352 and a new hot plate. I was afraid I'd create a nose heavy condition with 120+ grains of stick-on WW metal in the nose but what the heck... one never really knows 'til one gives it a go. I'm also going to use some real hard metal (stereotype or monotype I believe) in the shank area. First to the polls and then to Wally World!

MJ

P.S. I picked up one of those coil type hot plate/burners at Wally World this afternoon and plugged it in for testing just minutes ago. While it doesn't get orange hot like our electric range, it does surpass dark red. Should I turn it up all the way and set the mold directly on it or do I run the risk of damaging the mold at this temp?... which my guess would be over 1000F.

Boolit Master
    My concern with using a hot plate with a coil type burner would be the possibility of uneven heating of the mould. I dont know if this would be a problem but my idea would be to put a flat steel plate on top of the burner and place the mould on top of that, so that the heat was evenly distributed. Comments??
    R.D.M.

Makes sense and the mold will get just as hot. What part of B.C. comes cclosest to mind?

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    My concern with using a hot plate with a coil type burner would be the possibility of uneven heating of the mould. I dont know if this would be a problem but my idea would be to put a flat steel plate on top of the burner and place the mould on top of that, so that the heat was evenly distributed. Comments??
    I do that. Just find an old, dull, high-carbon radial saw balde of appropriate diameter.

More stable surface too.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    robertbank

Kamloops....used to be in South Surrey till I attempted to retire two years ago. Got invited to work 'part time' (yeah right) from home. Next March /07 will be it for sure!!
    R.D.M.

Well the way I got it figured next trip south I got three stops for coffee. Kamloops is a very nice town. Could be my next and final stop, if I get tired of the fishing up here. PM sent.

Take Care

Bob

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234