MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: El Cheapo (but quite good quality) Asian Gas Camp Stove, w/pics!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

El Cheapo (but quite good quality) Asian Gas Camp Stove, w/pics!

These have taken a huge slice of the market here. They are cheap, come in a case are pretty solid and sturdy, have a Piezo lighter and take cheap disposable gas canisters.

One of their good features is that they transport safely and the gas canisters are released at the flick of a lever.

They are not really suitable for backpacking, but I carry one in the motorcycle trailer as well as a JetBoil (I will do a thread on this stove as well later on). I use the Jetboilforboiling water and the Chineey Boy for cooking as it has a nice flame,quiet powerful,but easily cut back to simmer. I will only put up a couple of pics,but if you follow the photobucket link, there are several more pics, showing the case, docking and undocking of the gas canisters, etc. http://s89.beta.photobucket.com/user...mping%20Stuff?

You can get a pack of 4 or 5 gas canisters from $5-$8, which is a lot of cheap cooking and a lot of cups of Java. The canister pictured is from a pack of older ones which got buried on the verandah for a few years ( )

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance
    I keep one like it in my truck at all times. The canisters here run 3 bucks a can and goes by the name of brunton.
    I mostly use it to make coffee, but it beats having to use a thermos or having to gather firewood. lol

I've been to China a few times and I saw poor folk in the run down parts of town cooking on these on their doorstep. Great bit of kit, the canisters are cheaper here it seems, but even at three bucks a throw, cheap to run. I think I mentioned it above, but there is an adaptor that allows these canisters to be used on the more modern type of stoves. I have a state of the art JetBoil and have a few spare screw on bottles and I was away shooting a few years ago and bought a bunch of screw on bottles which are more than twice as large as teh JetBoil ones for not a lot of money. I bought about a dozen. When the proper bottle is fitted, , the stove and bottle fit inside the pot part of the cooker,making it very portable. The big cheap ones don't allow this, but are worth it if you aren't backpacking. When I use up this supply in about 10 years I will decide if I have enough camping left in me (I will be 75 then) to bother getting the adaptor, lol
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance
    The canisters don't last as long as the screw on ones, and when I am working I go threw one every 3 days or so, as I use it pretty much every day. It doesn't seem to be real heavy duty, but for what I use it for it is near perfect, and I like the quick release on the canister for keeping it inside the truck.

We use them for camping and traveling, but I think they were initially made for use in lieu of a stove for use by third world countries and poorer folk.

Boolit Mold
    I've seen these at Asian grocery stores for around $25 with a couple cans of fuel. I wasn't sure if they'd put out enough heat for real cooking, but think it'd be a nice backup to my propane setup.

In Remembrance
    It takes a while to make coffee in my big perculator with it, but if I do it inside the truck, it seems to only take half as long as outside, especially if there is a little wind.

I pick them up at swap meets and yard sales for a couple of bucks and we use the heck out of them at the ranch.You can find the canisters also pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf hunter View Post
    I've seen these at Asian grocery stores for around $25 with a couple cans of fuel. I wasn't sure if they'd put out enough heat for real cooking, but think it'd be a nice backup to my propane setup.
    They don't get 'stir fry in a big wok' hot,but give a nice flame for most cooking and also can be cut down to a soft flame for dishes that require it.

The canisters are ridiculously cheap sometimes. I have been meaning to but somegood ones and some from the junk shop weigh and weigh both before use and after they have 'expired' to see if there is any difference. I supsect that the el cheapo canisters might be a bit light on fuel, but maybe not. An intersting experiment anyway.

LOL, I have been using one to smelt lead in small (10kg or so) quantity.

Yeah been using these on camping with SWMBO, most of it are car camping (camp next to the car).
    On bushwalks, either I use firewood (when permitted) or use small folding gas stove.

I saw an English guy make a stove out of a lozenge / boiled sweet tin. he had a piece of insulation covered in metal fly wire, dumped spirit in it and lit it. stored it in an old military examine stove. basic, but worked.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I saw an English guy make a stove out of a lozenge / boiled sweet tin. he had a piece of insulation covered in metal fly wire, dumped spirit in it and lit it. stored it in an old military examine stove. basic, but worked.
    Four fingers, I need a translator with this one. lol I did saavy english guy, stove, insulation, (I think spirit) and military. The rest of it lost me. lol

The tin was for lozenges or sore throat lollies. They came in a tin similar to a tobacco tin, but usually have a hinged lid. He cut a piece of fibreglass insulation material and covered it with some metal flyscreen material, like the better / old screen door use. I can't remember what he used, but any form of spirit would do, methylated spirits, shellite, alcohol, etc. There is a typo above, it was supposed to be one of the soldier's folding Hexamine stoves. The type that use the white tablets as fuel. Probably should have provided the link. I will have a look and see if I can find it.

Here is an interesting, 'no money' (as my Chinese wife would say) stove I found when looking for the one I described above. Pretty neat.

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...ckpacking.html

I never did find the clip that I spoke about earlier, like every subject, there are a lottttttttttt of videos.

One neat one had a guy using egg cartons, pushed dryer lint into the egg 'cups', melted parrafin and poured it in. When dry and hard, tore them off and used them as fire starters. I wonder how cheap paraffin wax is?

In Remembrance
    LOL Great translation. I see what you were talking about now. lol

HaHa! Thanks.

I had a squiz (look) at youtube again this morning, but dipped out (didn't find it). I will have a deeko (look) tonight, or maybe a Captain Cook (look) in the morning. Gotta go shopping for some pills for the Cheese and Kisses (missus=wife). Range Captain this arvo (afternoon), I'm flat out (very busy) today, head down and bum up and that doesn't need any translation!

We don't really talk like this all the time, but they are some of the slang things we use.

Copulater (cop= bump into you, or see you, later, 'see ya later' is the usual Aussie farewell and 'no worries' the answer to this and many other things, often used in place of "your' welcome" after recieving a thank you. Your' welcome is a recent Americanism we have picked up)

Mick.

In Remembrance
    I finally threw my stove like this out and bought a single burner that screws to the bigger bottles. I don't know why but those bottles for the other stove just would not last long. They would work fine the first coffee pot, but usually not the next.

You must have a dodgy supplier, i get a good run out of these canisters.

Strangely enough, some stupid people have been using hot plates above these stoves, causing heat build up and canister explosion, so it is illegal to sell them now. Our nanny state interfering again.

Banned
    I've seen those small Asian made canister stoves and they certainly look easy. I'm a bit old school and still prefer pressurized kerosene stoves (that's paraffin for you folks of UK lineage). They're a bit more work to use and require just a little knowledge (clearly not much knowledge, I can work one ).
    I have a Coleman 550b with the kerosene generator tube in it and an Optimus 155 (Marine stove). I'd love to find a generator for my Optimus 200P lantern.
    Kerosene - the other white gas !