Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a factory crimp die?

Banned

Some semi-autos will benefit from the FCD and will function better with its proper use. It makes sense on serious revolver loads. If used right, it is worthwhile. Just don't use it to mask a problem that could have been avoided in the first place.

You will find out eventually that some manufacters tools work good for some things and not as good for others. And then other brands will fill the voids.

I have several different crimping dies for .44's and .45's and .40's, all have thier uses. No one manufacturer has everything you might need, and none of them have 100% good products.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

A cartridge like the 45 acp that if I'm not mistaken, head spaces off the case mouth would be
    the worst application for the factory crimp die. A modest tapered crimp would be far better IMHO.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee FCD for my 45 ACP. It applies a taper crimp, not a roll crimp, it can be adusted to apply just the amount of crimp needed, and it makes certain no case is too large in diameter to chamber. I think it helps produce more reliable ammuntiion for the autopistol. I do not use a FCD for most revolver loads that use cast bullets as the FCD will often resize the case and reduce the bullet diameter. This is particularly noticable in 45 Colt where my revolvers like a somewhat fat bullet.

Like any tool it has its uses and it isn't a universal solution.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    I don't use any pistol FCDs. I guess these came out in the 80s or 90s. I've use taper, roll or none depending on application.

I can comment on Redding profile crimp dies as these work really well. I will try one in the truly big bore revolver like the Redhawk in 480. I will comment later when I do. They work great in 44 mag.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

FCD does NOTHING that a properly made set of reloading dies, properly used will not already do.
    This is marketing hype. Taper crimp with a taper crimp die, which avoids doing damage to your
    ammo and only HELPS, not hurts.

It WILL size down oversized boolits in the case and can cause serious problems. I have never seen a
    cartridge loaded with anything like a normal boolit that needed any "post sizing" to chamber. I seriously
    doubt that this need actually exists, unless there is a seriously out of tolerance (too tight) chamber and
    a seriously out of tolerance resizer die (too large) - both are very rare problems.

I have asked repeatedly for someone to explain what real problem a pistol FCD has corrected for them
    that they could not get with regular dies. So far no answers. The GUESS above is purely speculative,
    I would guess it may have happened at some time, but I have never seen it myself in many years with
    many pistols in many calibers and many many rounds loaded.

Those that use the pistol FCD, please tell me of an actual problem that it has solved. We know
    of many problems that it has caused, reported here fairly often.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 01-23-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Bill, That should about wrap it up, but clearly not so.

Guess we can look at it this way, Lee does employ some workers - that's good - and I sure don't and mostly don't, need to buy many of their products That is also good, as in very good.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot.

Boolit Master
    I use one on all my cast 9mm loads. I only use FC brass for my cast loads. Reason being, if I put an unsized bullet in an FC case and run it through my FCD, then pull that bullet it measures .356. Perfect for my Lone Wolf barrel.

Also, many once fired cases are fired from loose chambers and the base will swell a bit. NOT the dreaded bulge mind you though. The FCD will iron that out.

If you have the sense and foresight to test loaded rounds, looking for any sizing down of the bullet, the FCD is a great tool. If you just blindly shove a cast load through one, you deserve the results you get.

Bill: what an FCD with the sizing ring is good for is finding cases that make it thru the process but have not been sized at all.

As I'm sure you know, it is possible to miss sizing a case(especially if they are done on a single stage press) and it is also possible for that case to get charged and a bullet seated and crimped.

It is mostly and "idiot proofing" mechinism.

With the crimper removed they also work well for debulging .40S&W cases which I do on a regular basis, and they are alot cheaper than the Redding die made for this. IE: $10 vs $65.

Are these things one could live without,,, Sure. But you can make better ammo with the appropriate usage of more tools.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

This on-going argument ignores that fact that many, many FCD users are getting absolute reliability with their semi-auto handguns, and without the FCD, not so much. I pulled a single example, for the .45 ACP FCD off Midway USA, and the FCD got 44 5/5 stars owner reviews, 1 4/5 stars and 1 3/5 stars. As close to perfect as a product gets. I'm not going to spend more time linking the 9mm FCD or the .40 FCD etc., but they are great as well. FCD will not replace good practices, but will ensure proper function and reliability if used properly. Reading the reviews tells prospective users that the FCD is a very good thing, especially if you want optimum reliability in a semi-auto hangun. The whining about the FCD comes from a lack of understanding that uniformity is a good thing, and the FCD moves us in the right direction, again, if used properly.
    It is a myth that only the rifle collet FCD are worthwhile.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716...cp-45-auto-rim

Boolit Master
    However, that does not bring a solution to the problems I listed on a earlier post, that took weeks to iron out. FCD problem!!!!!!

Tread lightly with them and only buy them if you have a proven problem that can not be corrected with proper adjustment of your three die set.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12