MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: NOE 311041 Gas check seating problem

Boolit Buddy

NOE 311041 Gas check seating problem

Sunday I casted up about 20 lbs of Lyman #2 alloy in the new mold I just received. They are sure pretty but. I can't get gas checks to seat on them squarely. I've tried Hornady and they wouldn't go on at all. The gator checks go on but are a little tight. It also seems they aren't seating squarely.

The bullets cast between .311 and .312 so that checks out. The shank is approximately .285.

Looking for input from some of the others who may have tried this mold already.
    Last edited by 30hrrtt; 01-17-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Banned

hmm, mine work fine a snug fit with gators same dia shank as yours.

how are you seating them? lee pushthrough? Lyman 450? Star?

Boolit Master
    I only tried a few checks on my boolits "just to check fit". Everything seems ok, they were a little tight going on but they sat square and and clicked in place.

Boolit Master

Re: NOE 311041 Gas check seating problem

I have this mold, 3 year old production. I just put a 1 inch ball bearing on the H GC and give it a whack.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

The ball on the handle of my bench vise is perfect for slightly spreading gascheck rims.

If you have one of the Lee chamfering /chafering hand tools, try and put a slight bevel on the base of the GC shank and see if that helps, if it does get one of the NOE tools designed for power screw drivers.
    I use mine in a portable drill, visually inspect the bullet then zip-zip and no problem seating the GC's by hand
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    If you have one of the Lee chamfering /chafering hand tools, try and put a slight bevel on the base of the GC shank and see if that helps, if it does get one of the NOE tools designed for power screw drivers.
    I use mine in a portable drill, visually inspect the bullet then zip-zip and no problem seating the GC's by hand
    I'm not too keen on this idea. Doesn't it turn a crimp-on gas check into a slip-on, by removing the edge that would bit into the boolit?

HF

Banned

i think hes saying to put the slight bevel on the bullets shank not the gas check.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    put a slight bevel on the base of the GC shank
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

Re: NOE 311041 Gas check seating problem

Sorry, reading comprehension fail!
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 01-20-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Last night I ended up taking an old dial caliper that was broke and putting the check shank in it while applying preassure and turning the boolit a few times. It decreased the diameter enough or got rid of any irregularities so the check then went on kind of. The sizer I'm using is a RCBS and it did a poor job of setting the checks all the way and straight. I ended up taking the top punch and putting it upside down in the reloading press shell holder. I screwed a threaded bolt that I use for setting boolits with lapping compound on top where the dies go. I just bumped it a little and it kind of worked putting them on straight. Then I put them through the sizer.

Today I cast some more with 2/3 ww with 2%tin and 1/3 pb. The checks work great on them. Not extra room but they worked great.

I weighed the boolits I cast Sunday of the approx. Lyman #2 and they averaged 174.5.

The boolits I cast today average 179 plus a hair.

I NEED TO GET A MICROMETER.

I think that with ww alloy the checks will be tight but will work good. Increasing the diameter with a higher alloy lead will cause problems. I will play with the some of the above recommendations.

Thanks