Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four wheelers or atv's

Bit the bullet on an 2006 Kabota RTV 900 this thing is one major work horse and a fun toy at times also!

Moderator Emeritus

We are on our 2nd Kawasaki mule....the newest one is 2 years old this Christmas.....It has the 2nd bench seat that folds up if you need a bigger bed....You cant believe how great it is....we have a working ranch and I cant do with out it......
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I have had 2 Kabota 900s diesels for 4 years and my brother has a 4 place Kawasaki Mule and a Polarus Ranger.
    Kubotas are all hydraulic drive, and the auxillary htdraulic hook ups and Hydraulic dump bed excell anything else on the market. Built like tanks and farm tractors...tough for the long haul. My issue is power...the diesel is dead reliable at 25hp. with a full load in low gear it will generally get you where your headed, so long as you're not in a hurry and don't have a substantial hill. In New mexico at 8,000 ft, low range EMPTY will barely crawl a hill to my place....really pitiful.

Kawasaki Mule: Great machine, quiet, but low ground clearance and limited load/workability... and still has the limitations of 25 HP, same problem at 8000 ft altitude. good rig for good /decent roads.

Polarus Ranger: tough, high ground clearance, huge suspension travel, 2" receiver hitch...all first class.
    My issue is that they are NOISY... need add on mufflers to quiet 'em down, and engine compartment sound dampening too. but the power is there when you need it. That New mexico hill that nearly shuts down the unloaded Kubota and Mule when dry? The Polarus ranger scoots up it in 12" of new snow at 35 MPH!!!! Guess I'm gonna see if I can talk trade for the newer Kubota on a Ranger, thenwork on getting the polarus quiet. my extra muffler set ups on Honda ATVs are litterally whisper quiet under normal operating conditions.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

In Remembrance
    Anyone checked out the new honda SXS's. I really like the new 50 inch 500, but am anxious to see the new one out next year with the 1 forward gears, actually 6 with a nigh and low.

Boolit Master

Thinking of getting a new Polaris , the local dealer is running some good prices right now and can see where one would be handy around the place but would like to take it up into North Park where we do a lot of fishing in the fall which means it would have to be towed on a trailer. Box on the PU is too short and also we pull a small camping trailer so this means it would have to be on a small flat bed trailer behind the camping trailer or in other words a "three up ."
    Anyone have any experience with towing like this ?
    Have pulled all kinds of trailers all kinds of places but have never pulled two at one time.
    Anyone have any suggestions ? Do's, don't do's .
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Was my question really that big of a thread killer ??
    Facta non verba

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Thinking of getting a new Polaris , the local dealer is running some good prices right now and can see where one would be handy around the place but would like to take it up into North Park where we do a lot of fishing in the fall which means it would have to be towed on a trailer. Box on the PU is too short and also we pull a small camping trailer so this means it would have to be on a small flat bed trailer behind the camping trailer or in other words a "three up ."
    Anyone have any experience with towing like this ?
    Have pulled all kinds of trailers all kinds of places but have never pulled two at one time.
    Anyone have any suggestions ? Do's, don't do's .
    First suggestion is to check to see if it's legal in your state.

Second is to take a close look at the structure under the camper. Most that I've seen have little to no viable structure to weld a hitch to. They may have bumpers, but not enough substance to handle pulling a couple thousand pounds on the highway.

As to the rest of the thread, I have a Rhino, and just picked up an Argo. While I love the Rhino, it just doesn't handle the terrain going out to my cabin well- either a muddy trail through the trees, or a bottomless muskeg swamp). It was getting to the point where I could only reliably get to my cabin a couple months out if the summer due to conditions. The Argo is rougher, but I get there with no drama every time. The Argo is slower across the ground, but faster overall since I can go a more direct route. Also, the Argo is faster than the Warn winch pulling the Rhino.

In Remembrance
    Reg. Is your camper a fifth wheel or bumber pull. Most states that double trailers are legal in, requires the first one to be of the fifth wheel variety.
    The above poster is right as far as the frame structure, I have repaired several that the owners thought it could handle more than it could take.

I use and abuse a 1985 honda Atc250es "big red". This is my baby. I use it for everything. I have a honda fourtrax 300 fe that I plowed snow with untill I replaced it with an allis chalmers 917 with a 42" snow blower. The big red does what it's told.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

I have always wanted a three wheeler, they should still make them, if you wreck its your own fault. I am a big fan of the big reds, I cant imagine getting one stuck
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	187925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rokon 2 1 17.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	187926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rokon 1 29 17 3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	187927
    I got this Rokon Scout last summer and it has been a blast. It won't go anywhere fast but it will go anywhere. I just put a set of chains on it and hope to get out Tuesday. It gets squirrely if you hit a rut as the sides of the tires won't cut into the snow, hoping the chains help.

Boolit Mold
    08 Polaris Sportsman 500. It is a great atv and it has been very reliable.

Perma-Banned

I have wanted one of these forever. Some day I will get one.
    I got this Rokon Scout last summer and it has been a blast. It won't go anywhere fast but it will go anywhere. I just put a set of chains on it and hope to get out Tuesday. It gets squirrely if you hit a rut as the sides of the tires won't cut into the snow, hoping the chains help.[/QUOTE]

Perma-Banned

I have a John Deere 6X4 we use around the property. It is a great utility vehicle. I recently about a year ago bought a 2016 Polaris 850SP sportsman it is a ton of fun. I ride up in coal country at Reading Anthracite. I upgraded with a complete aluminum skid plate system and some other wear and tear items. It is a beast of a machine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15977626_10211826285002347_7701008153485124672_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	187958

Boolit Master
    My 2017 Polaris Ranger EPS (Electronic Power Steering)

Attachment 188044

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I'd say if you have ridden motorcycles much, go for one with a wheel rather than handlebars, and a seat you sit in. I hadn't ridden a motorcycle for ten years when I tried a friend's quad bike, and it scared me rigid. Shift your weight on the bars in the direction you wanted to turn, and it didn't do a thing.

Boolit Bub
    I still have my 1988 Yamaha 350 moto-4 and to carry the big loads I got a Honda Rubicon 500

Boolit Buddy

I have a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500, the 49.5" model .... Have had it since October 2015, we love the thing as a run about. Hard core rock crawler it is NOT, a little too narrow and top heavy for much rough terrain. But it fits our use perfectly and we are glad we bought it. I had two ATV's when we bought it, a 02' Suzuki Eiger LTF400-A and an 06' Bombardier Outlander 400Max. I've since given the Eiger to my 14 year old Grandson who lives in the desert about 60 miles away. The Outlander runs well in rough terrain & snow if I feel frisky

FWIW, the Pioneer replaced a 12' CanAm Commander XT1000 which had replaced an 08' Yamaha Rhino 700fi. The Rhino was pretty narrow and handled well enough but was a little short on power unless you were in Low Range, it also topped out at 42mph. The Commander handled and ran like a striped A** Ape but was useless in snow, would top out at 75mph though, just had way too much horsepower for my application. The Pioneer has a 5-speed manual transmission with a Compound Low, not a 2-speed Transfer Case like the others, sofar we haven't needed anything lower ....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought my first new ATV, 2017 Honda Rubicon. I could probably got everywhere on my lease with a golf cart with a few exceptions.
    Got it because my hunting time is limited and I want something that is gonna work for me when I go to use it, the power steering and IRS make it really nice to ride when you have a bad back and arm injuries.

Moderator Emeritus

My wife has a Polaris ATV and I am on my second Kawasaki Mule UTV. I love mine and she loves hers. We have a working ranch and mine is used for virtually everything....moving hay, barbed wire, harvested deer and hogs....you name it .... the mule does it.....Got to admit that I do like the new Kubota UTV's but they are extremely expensive.....For me the UTV is more usable and comfortable plus the roll bar and seat belt systems make them safer.....just name your poison and dive in.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast