Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four wheelers or atv's

a nice old polaris 300 smoky 4X4 like new

A prior comment was made regarding power steering. I thought it was a silly idea for sissies, so I bought my wife one. HAHA!!! Now I AM THE SISSY and would not likely have a bike bigger than a 400 without it.
    It's the real deal guys, especially if you have larger tires than stock, or run really low air pressure.
    Easy steering and much trail-steer feed back.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Some of the newer ATVs are almost as big as my Jeep Wrangler. I just use my '92 Jeep. With the rear seat out I have plenty of room for a deer or other cargo plus I have a 2 wheel trailer I bought from NAPA years ago which pulls behind it easy. It has a 4" lift, 4:88 gears, detroit locker in the rear with heavier axle shafts, full roll cage , 8000 lb winch, brush guard, side nerf bars. During the summer the top and doors come off. It's my daily driver.

Last edited by larryp; 03-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.

1984 Kawasaki Bayou. Had it since 84, no major repars and almost 10k miles on it Amazing what regular maintence will do.
    The wife has an 87 suzuki LT250 4x4. All 4 of the kids have bayou 220s from the year they were born, 94, 2x96 and a 2001.

99 Polaris Sportsman 500, runs good for about 10 minutes, then 5 minutes later it will run for another 10. I have the carb off and the shop manual open to the right page, tonight I'll adjust the float and that should put me back in business. After its fixed it will again be a workhorse.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    Looking into purchasing either a Arctic Cat or Polaris "mid-size" side by side. Anyone have a preference of one brand over the other?

Winelover

Boolit Master

I have a older 450 Honda
    That is a great tool and toy

Sure makes hauling stuff into the woods easy
    And hauling me and the deer out is a joy

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

In Remembrance
    On the side by sides, polaris and can am are the choices by far here. For some reason you the artic cat or honda sXs are just nonexistent here, even though both are extremely popular four wheelers.

Banned

Ive had a pile of them through the years and have owned most brands. If you would have asked me a couple months ago i had a polaris razor, a yamaha 700 raptor and a yamaha 700 grizzly. I sold the first two recently and right now only have the grizzly. Its been a great bike. I love the power stearing. It may not be the fastest utility atv as can ams usually rule there. It may not be the best riding as polaris atvs are about like riding a pillow but when it comes to fit and finish, strenght, reliability yamaha is king. Although hondas do give them a run for reliability. Also ive road with enough other brands to know that when the shtf and the **** is deap my grizzly is usually the one doing the winching not the one being winched.

I use my '02 Polaris 500 HO for all kinds of things. Hunting,fishing,prospecting,snowplowing,and just for FUN! Never let me down yet. I had to make it 'street legal' a few years ago to keep the Forest Service LE Nazi happy. Amazing because in over 20 years of riding one of these, I had never been stopped by Sheriff or Highway Patrol. But the Forest Service needs me to be street legal?
    I added bumpers,Warn winch, gun rack, and some other goodies. The Grim Reaper tires have been the best change so far. For some reason these things come with really ****ty tires from the factory. A good tire makes a world of difference!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	64191

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	64192

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	64193
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

In Remembrance
    Odd that the forest service would require that, as far as I know Montana and Arizona are the only two states that you can actually make them street legal in.

Banned

It took me a few years to get as smart as you. As i got older and after the back surgerys i just cant ride atvs like i used to. the razor was much easier on me but not near as nice to ride all day in as my jeep. Like you said its not much bigger, gets probably better fuel milage, has a top and heater and can be used as a second vehicle in the family (third in my case) thing too is i bought mine in great shape with low miles for about half what i paid for the razor. No brainer in my opinion and when i had to decide recently which to let go there wasnt even a hesitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryp View Post
    Some of the newer ATVs are almost as big as my Jeep Wrangler. I just use my '92 Jeep. With the rear seat out I have plenty of room for a deer or other cargo plus I have a 2 wheel trailer I bought from NAPA years ago which pulls behind it easy. It has a 4" lift, 4:88 gears, detroit locker in the rear with heavier axle shafts, full roll cage , 8000 lb winch, brush guard, side nerf bars. During the summer the top and doors come off. It's my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Odd that the forest service would require that, as far as I know Montana and Arizona are the only two states that you can actually make them street legal in.
    They changed the laws. It used to be that if you were not on a Fed, ST, or County maintained road no license was needed. Now you need to be street legal and have a valid drivers license. He was a real jerk. It was a Poker Ride our local club put on to raise money for the Shriners kids. He put up a road block out in the woods and was stopping everyone. Hassling folks who had kids on dirt bikes ect. He had his SUV parked to the side and there were 2 younger guys on ATVs behind his rig to chase you down if you didn't stop.
    I didn't know what was going on and went to drive around them. He stepped out with one hand raised and the other covering his weapon. "STOP!" I was wondering if this guy was going to draw on me for a second. Bizarre!
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

I have an old 1980's Honda ATC big red It hasn't failed me yet.

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	65102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	65101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	65103

Wife's Rubicon... my Foreman is plain ol' stock... except for extra silencers.
    When there's a foot of snow on the hill, it's the only way in or out.
    Single or SxS, each has it's niche, your use dictates preference.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Banned

weve got a 83 and 84 big red that sit out at camp all year. There were sure good bikes. I dont think either of those two bikes has anything but plugs and oil changed and both had a new set of brakes a few years back. dont know how many miles are on them but its a pile!!

I have a 1999 450 honda engine in my 400 1998 honda frame. It has been a good machine. The carb was worn out when I got it, so I had to replace that. The electric start motor works but the toothed gear head in the engine has broken teeth, so I don't use it. I have replaced the pull start rope religiously, every two years. It too big of a pain in the *** to break the pull start rope, plus the inconvenience. Now I have multiple pull start assemblies, after the original housing broke apart. I have noticed Honda pull start rope last 3 yrs max, cause they get wet a lot with frequent use, while snow machine ropes last for at least twice that. When I started looking into replacement parts I realized they could be expensive depending on the source, so I began collecting extra spare parts. Suspension parts (a upper swing arm) is broken now and just waiting till warm summer weather arrives for me to replace it. I have been scavenging dead machines in the area. A tie rod end broke last fall. I got the 4 tie rod end kit for 60 bucks from the local dealer landed here.

I use my 4wheeler daily, in spring, summer, and fall. It is my daily driver. If you watch Yukon Men a 4 wheeler is just required, especially low snow conditions. They save wear and tear on the snow go.

The 4 wheeler is more economical to operate, as it uses half the fuel of the snow go.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

I still enjoy my 2005 Yamaha Rhino

Name:	2006-07-25Scott and Rhino July 2006.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	65971
    My Rhino is my favorite because it's easier on my back and goes everywhere I need it to. I've also got a 650 Prairie, 220 Bayou, 300 Honda and too many horses. At least with the Rhino I can mow and spray my pasture and it's handy for fixing fencing.
    Life member NRA since 1983

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...113199d940.png

"I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Three wheels will do!

Boolit Mold
    I've a pair of size 10 boots. It's not that I would not want a 4-wheeler, just don't necessarily need one. If I kill something I've got enough friends with them that it's never been an issue. Also, I have several time sneaked up on game and caught unsuspecting game eating. I get to scout while en route to my stand too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast