Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four wheelers or atv's

In Remembrance

Four wheelers or atv's

What do you guys use, if you use them.
    Mine is an old 300 honda, nothing to brag about, but so far it has always brought me back. knock on wood

Boolit Buddy
    Mine, an old Murray Riding mower that I bought with another mower for $50 at a garage sale, 'as-is'

I put gas in it and it fired up, I traded the other one for a jonboat that I sold for $200.

I actually mowed with it until the deck completely rusted through, then used aluminum tape for a while until the bearings went for the blades and finally took the deck off and welded up a hitch to pull the hog trailer with when the 4 wheeler was in the shop.

The 4 wheeler is an '02 Suzuki Ozark that I picked up in a 2 atv deal. A guy was getting divorced and sold both of them to me for $1500, the other was an '03 Bayou 250. I traded off the Bayou for a Ferguson FE35 tractor that needed some tlc. Still have the tractor.

Neither one has left me stranded, but the little tractor/mower isn't the most comfortable ride through the pasture.

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master

I have a 2001 Artic Cat 250. Has been a work horse for me when running my past trap lines. Largest payload on racks of any 4-wheeler in its 200-250 class. Never rolled, all plastic still good.

In Remembrance
    LOL Possum Generally when I unload mine it will get 40 to 50 miles put on it before I get back to the pickup. That lawnmower just might have my back hurtin by then. lol
    When I was a kid, we had an old b farmall I used for everything around the place, and I mean everything.
    Where is your winch mounted. lol

In Remembrance
    Now I find this thing, it sort of puts my honda to shame.

http://uvideo100.com/ice.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Where is your winch mounted. lol
    If you look in the picture on the front of the mower under the engine and between the wheels, you'll see a small chain hanging...Then look on the trailer, kind of towards the front and left, you'll see a handle poking up in the air...

That handle is on a 1.5k come-a-long that hooks to the chain, and there's another chain in one of the milk crates to wrap around a tree.

It does what it needs to, and was cheap to back up the atv with
    Last edited by possom813; 02-09-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Moderator Emeritus

I use shanks mare and have for years. I do have a game cart which replaced the wheelbarrow.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    '07 Suzuki King-Quad 700....SWMBO's is a '01 300 Cat. What a blast on the old dug up rail-beds here in Eastern Ont.

Boolit Master
    2005 Honda 350 Rancher, 4x4. Registered as a Motorcycle here in Az, so I can take it out anywhere. Goes out my driveway, and am shooting in minutes. Bought it new, and keep it well maintained.

Boolit Buddy

2008 Kawasaki brute force.Way more than I need but what the heck

I had a 300 fourtrax which are great machines. The weak link however, is the rear differential. Easy and cheap to rebuild, had I know, I would have done so (about $40), but the rear went and a new/used one is about $1K....... so I sold it for parts.

New one is a 2009 Kawasaki brute force 750........ if you don't pay attention, it will hurt you.
    More than I need is an understatement, but it has a towing capcity of 1200lbs, and will do it without a problem.

Boolit Mold
    Mine is a 1987 Kawasaki Bayou. It's in decent shape for the age, and it hasn't left me stranded. Maintenance is the key for that old girl.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 used back in 07.I wanted a 350 Honda Rancher but I could not turn down the price from a friend.Way overkill for my needs but it will haul me and four 100 pound sacks of corn no problem.It came with a winch and that should be required equipment on the new mega quads.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Honda Rubicons and Foremen, 2 each.
    Fabbed add on muffler units for all four, so they all run in virtual silence.
    I used off the shelf parts and a $25 muffler mail order.
    Similar to commercially available "Silent Runner" these home fabbed units are cheaper, even more quiet and installation can be tailored to your own requirements..
    Also, in the current configuration the trunck box is readily accessable too.

1997 Kawasaki bayou 300 never let me down.

Boolit Man
    1943 Willys MB (WWII Jeep). It goes anywhere, street legal, carries 4 and has plenty of room for equipment. If I add the period trailer I have enough capacity for several deer and camp gear.

Boolit Master

As a young fellow, I started out with a 1945 Model B Willys and then a 1947 CJ2A (it had a rag top and a HEATER). Then bought a new 1980 CJ-7 and used that for over 20 years. Now I just pull a trailer loaded with my ATV behind my small fifth wheel and then just drive around the trails for pleasure and hunting on a 2003 Yamaha 660 Grizzly with winch and waterproof and lockable cargo box/back rest on the back. Enough room and power for me and mamma plus a deer on the front or normally just pulled behind on my 2 wheeled deer cart. With that little cart, I do not have to drag em anymore, just push or pull the cart with deer right up to the ATV. With 4x4 plus diff. lock, not needed the winch so far. But if I get that rig stuck, a winch would probably be the only way to get it moving again.

1947 Willys & young son / 1980 CJ-7 (Brutus)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1947 Willy CJ2A.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	61698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rick Jeep.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	61702
    Fun breaking the trail / Deer camp 2009

Name:	rick jeep snow 1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	61703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp 2009.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	61704
    Deer camp 2012 / Haulin Momma

Name:	2012 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	61708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0023.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	61712
    Hog rubs / My hog hunt'n Hog

Name:	Hog Rubs.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	61713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serious Hog Hunting Hog.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	61715
    Last edited by HamGunner; 02-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Bub
    2010 grizzly 550 nice machine.Use it for some food plots where we don't want to take a tractor.Bought one of those hyd field cultivators works good.

Boolit Master

I would love to have one of the new fuel injected Yamahas with their power steering. The power steering would make for a really enjoyable ride in the rough trails and I have encountered a few really steep climbs where the carburetor would start to cough from the steep angle. Fuel injection would solve that as well as the loss of so much power up in the mountains due to too rich a fuel mixture.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

In Remembrance
    My son just bought a can am 800 that has 3 modes of power steering and three different keys to use with it for different power levels. The thing is overkill and a beast, but is shure nice too. lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast