Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown calibers

Boolit Master
    The 222 was about as main stream as it gets. Thats my point, WAS! Bwaaaa I am old!!!
    I got married at 35 after having a long affair with the tripple duece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    The 222 was about as main stream as it gets. Thats my point, WAS! Bwaaaa I am old!!!
    I got married at 35 after having a long affair with the tripple duece.
    Aw heck, the Triple Deuce ain't old... if that's one's opinion, they must have either been born yesterday, or have just fallen off the turnip truck.

Savage currently chambers two rifles for the 222.

MJ

Boolit Grand Master
    There are guys in their late thirties who weren't born yet when I last had a .222. Reality bites.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I traded my Saeco 222 about a year ago because of a very generous offer I couldnt refuse.
    I still have a carbine in 221 that serves most varmint duty until snow comes to spread things out a bit.
    Now dont nobody start telling me the 221 is old and obscure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Now dont nobody start telling me the 221 is old and obscure.
    221 old? Naw, as a matter of fact Remington just came back out with it in their new XP-100 pistol, 1962 I think.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

If you have very much 222 mag brass, and want to sell it, let me know. A friend recently inherited a 222 magnum rifle with dies and was asking me about brass.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    yessir the 30 rem br was a good round, and then they kill it off through no support or rifle building.
    then introduce the 30rar years later and i bet they just let it die instead of building a few bolt guns.
    and get the 6mm twist rate wrong,and the 260's twist rate wrong.
    kill off their 30 and 7mm saum... [good rounds too]
    they neck up a winchester invention and it takes off just fine though..
    Yes, so many good things go. The .244 rem was super with lighter bullets for varmints but the inferior .243 had a different twist that could handle the heavier bullets for deer so it trumped the .244. I did not like the 22-250 because it shot best with light bullets and the Swift was better with heavy but guys thought velocity with light was better.
    Twist is always the deciding thing for what can be shot and if Rem would have offered two rates the .244 would still be with us. One for deer, another for chucks.
    Today it is massive velocities with super magnums while a 30-30 is just fine for deer. My .44 kills more deer then a guy with a .500 S&W can think about. I admit to liking larger revolvers but have some too big.
    The .222 was the best, never seen a .223 shoot as good so it is why twist rates for the .223 change so much. They admit a certain bullet needs a certain twist.
    But revolver shooters think one twist can shoot 180 to 400 gr boolits.

Can a 222 (or equivalent) be built using a 1-in-14 twist barrel? I have one but it's a 22lr barrel from a TOZ which is supposedly 4140 steel. I like rimmed cartridges for some reason and 22 rimmed brass can still be found I believe but what the heck, a 222 equivalent could be formed from 30-30 brass and a rifle could be built on a - wait for it - Lee Enfield action. But I really want a single shot.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

the 5.6x54 is a rimmed 223 round.
    airc the 22-250 is 1-14 and the hornet is somewhere near that.
    iirc the older 223 diameter 40 gr bullets are for the hornets that were built on 22lr barells with a 1-16 twist.
    the savage round [22 hi-power] is similar to the 30-30 necked down to 22 cal too, but some had 228 bores.
    a 30-30 necked down to 22 would do what you want well enough.
    you'd have about the same capacity as a 22-250 to work with.

Boolit Master
    30/30 necked to 22 cal .224" is a 219 Zipper a once populer factory cartridge. The improved zipper may equal the 22/250 in capacity.
    The 219 Donaldson is a shortened 219 zipper imp that has the powder volume better adjusted to BR shooting and before the 222 bumped it from first position was the leader in the accuracy field.

Anyone else subscribe to AmmoGuide? Anyway, here is a 22CF comparison. Missing is the 22 Varmint-R, a Canadian invention which is a shortened 303 Brit case - that might be a better bet for me, being of smaller capacity and I don't want to burn out the barrel. Besides, I would want to use cast in it and maybe paper patched (preferably paper patched but I'm not so sure about patching such a tiny boolit with my clumsy fingers).

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

And nobody has mentioned the 225 Winchester. I made the mistake of having a Contender 223 Rem barrel rechambered to this round. Could not even duplicate 223 velocities before the action would not want to open.

Boolit Master
    Something nobody has mentioned is that both the PPC and BR Rem.s used small primers. It was claimed that the small primers contributed to the phenomenal accuracy of both designs.

I campaigned an XP in 7 mm. BR Rem. for a while shooting IHMAS Unlimited with it. Nice gun, shot well, way better than I could. I don't think I can cast in it but I did in 7mm. TCU out of 10" Contender in Production class. I never did buy TCU dies, I got by with neck sizing and seating TCU cases in the BR dies. Fireforming was as simple as forcefully closing the gun on 5.56 loaded rounds and pulling the trigger.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, Ve got to soon old, and to late smart! My old 222 is still one of my most accurate rifles. Sort of a mini 06!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

As stated the 222 and the 7br are super accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    I campaigned an XP in 7 mm. BR Rem. for a while shooting IHMAS Unlimited with it. Nice gun, shot well, way better than I could. I don't think I can cast in it but I did in 7mm. TCU out of 10" Contender in Production class.
    7 BR in an XP works well with cast, I've shot 80x80 in NRA National Champs with the RCBS 145 SPGC. I had somewhat less luck with the 7TCU but I worked with it far less.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

thank's dan,
    i couldn't remember the name of the round.
    i could picture it in my head but no way could i remember the name.
    maybe that's why we remember the old rounds and can't remember lunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12