Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandson's First Buck with a Cast Boolit!

Moderator Emeritus

Grandson's First Buck with a Cast Boolit!

In the last few minutes of legal shooting time, on the last day of our 4 day hunt, this small "goat horn" spike stepped out of the brush. I took one look through the binoculars to confirm that he was legal, then I handed Mason his brand new Rossi M-92 and watched that he did everything correctly, just like we had practiced dozens of times.

Then I waited and waited... and waited for the shot. Finally, Mason leaned over to me and whispered "Pa-Pa, I'm shaking so bad that I can't keep the crosshairs behind his shoulder."

So I took the rifle back and talked him into slowing down his breathing and to just try to relax into the rifle. After a minute or so, he was calmed down enough to make the shot! He placed the 240 gr. Keith boolit just a little high and little forward, but the deer was angled toward us, so the bullet got both lungs and the liver. The range was about 60 yards. The little buck ran about 35-40 feet back into a Yaupon (pronounced "Yo-pon") thicket, laid down and bled out.

The .44 Mag rifle was equipped with a Leupold IER scope in a Rossi forward (scout) position.

The load was a Lyman 429421 cast from #2 alloy with 21.5 gr. of IMR 4227 and a CCI LP primer behind it.

After the shot, while we were waiting on the buck, Mason asked why he couldn't stop shaking, he said that he had never in all of his 12 years, felt like that before. So I explained to him about the symptoms of buck fever and how they never seem to quite go completely away, no matter how many deer you shoot. Good thing it was dark in the stand by then or he would've noticed Pa-Pa shaking a little also! Tt.

Mason with his first buck

Mason and Pa-Pa

Entrance Wound

Exit Wound

"Me-Ma" Showing Mason How to Clean His Deer

"Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master
    very nice buck
    yeah that buck fever gets ahold of ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Well done and nice flat fender.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Great job.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    That he knew he shaking badly and held the shot says volumes about the young man. Please commend him and congratulate him!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Cast Hunter

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    They don't affect me as bad as the first few but when they stop exciting me ill quit hunting.
    No end in sight so far!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

He is off to a wonderful start in his hunting career. Isn't great to play guide and still get the shakes when one comes walking in. Congrads!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Its not only buck fever I get the same feeling with does. I think when I stop getting that heart racing feeling the hunt will be over. I have thought of it a few times is it the fact the wrong move will blow the shot while they run off. Or is it the feeling that all your work has came down to a single shot. I also think its the fact that your taking a animal that is going to feed you and your family which is a mix between happy and sadness. I guess that answer will come when that feeling is gone. Thanks for sharing with us and passing on hunting to our replacements. I love taking one of the young ones in the family hunting to share what GOD has blessed us with.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Good job all the way around. It's good that the young man had the judgment to hold his shot until he was able to control the placement of the crosshairs. Nice job on the load as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Great job, all three of you! It's great to hear about good kids like Mason, thanks for sharing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Well done and nice flat fender.
    That's my pride and joy, EMC! It's a 1951 Willys M-38. It's been in the family and barn kept, since the early 70s. Mason's mom, her sister, and all of their cousins and friends learned how to drive a "stick shift" in that old Willys. It's hauled many a central Texas buck, squirrel, rabbit, duck, dove, and catfish through the years.

Mrs. Treetop and I have 5 grand kids and now they are starting to learn how to drive in the same old Jeep that their mom's learned in! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    He is off to a wonderful start in his hunting career. Isn't great to play guide and still get the shakes when one comes walking in. Congrads!!
    It really is, oneshot! I didn't think it would excite me that much, but my heart was really pounding when he finally pulled the trigger on that little buck! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Treetop, you are exactly the kind of Grandpa every kid needs.

Nice goin'!

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

That was a PERFECT SHOT!

Loved the story!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Congratulations and I to think it was a perfect shot, looks like great eaten.

Great story and photos.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Well done Mason and Papa. I am taking my oldest grandson mentor hunting this year with his 3030 his great popop gave him with RD meatgetters. We all process our deer as a family thing also.

Boolit Master
    Nice going and thanks for sharing that story!
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    Excellent job both of ya. Well done. When my boy was trying to learn to control his fever, I just took him out to shoot pigs a couple times. I don't want to lose any shot animal and I don't want one wounded to run off, but if it does happen (and it has happened to all of us) I would rather lose a pig rather than a deer. A little coaching and good advice will go a long way as you have proven. Again, well done. Tell him how proud we all are over a plate of fried backstrap.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Its not only buck fever I get the same feeling with does. I think when I stop getting that heart racing feeling the hunt will be over. I have thought of it a few times is it the fact the wrong move will blow the shot while they run off. Or is it the feeling that all your work has came down to a single shot. I also think its the fact that your taking a animal that is going to feed you and your family which is a mix between happy and sadness. I guess that answer will come when that feeling is gone. Thanks for sharing with us and passing on hunting to our replacements. I love taking one of the young ones in the family hunting to share what GOD has blessed us with.
    RP, I think you have summed up "The Fever" pretty well. It's all of those things. When Mason and I found the deer, we said a short prayer over him, giving thanks to the Lord for providing the venison. I told Mason that praying over a deer kill is a Treetop family tradition and he thought that was neat! We are truly blessed with 5 wonderful, happy, healthy grand kids! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast