Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PID Controller from Frozone

Boolit Buddy

PID Controller from Frozone

All I can say is WOW.....what a difference. Just hooked up my PID controller from Frozone and it is fantastic. Takes a lot of issues away from trying to keep my Lee 20# pot at the right temp. Boolits have improved dramatically and it is going 10 times faster not having to try to wait for pot to heat up if it gets too cold and I miss it , or too hot if I am not paying attention. All automatic now..... Thanks for the great unit Frozone, top quality to boot. The warning lights at too high or too low temp get your attention real quick if things get out of the "zone". Again, Thanks Frozone.

Boolit Master
    Now add a temperature probe to your mould for when you pre heat it and feel like you are in the 21st century, I know I do.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually thought about that....good idea. Man am I savin' a bunch of $$$ rolling my own ...

Can you upload some pictures of the PID?
    Last edited by hogstad7; 01-30-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Banned

I'm working on a design that would include a digital thermometer in the same unit.
    About $35 - $40 more if any are interested.

Darn it, I was going to shoot pix of the last unit I built.
    I took a fall on the ice a couple weeks ago, hurt bad enough I couldn't sit at the bench very long so I was running behind on delivery and skipped the pix.
    I also lost the pix had of the unit when we did the server change.

Boolit Master

Frozone will have some competition;

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...g25furnace.php

What I can't figure out is how they can put a pid on that Lyman pot for LESS than what the old pots cost?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162...rnace-110-volt

If I didn't already have a pid that I built, that would be a great deal.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance
    I don't think Frozone will have competition at all, I clicked on that link and the retail on the Lyman melter is $310. Think I'll be happy with my Drip-O-Matic and his PID at a lot less than that.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

Everybody does it different but mostly we use the same components, so here is a pic of mine. It is for a 220v Magma pot, 110 will be a bit different. I can't believe how much having this has increased my peace of mind. Kinda like having a speedo on a motorcycle, you can mostly judge your speed but it is so much nicer to actually KNOW. As you can see it isn't all THAT complicated but unless you are good with electrical stuff buying one already made is much easier and saves a BUNCH of time, looking for and ordering all the components, wire, outlets andplugs and a decent box to hold it all.
    Last edited by Springfield; 01-31-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Frozone will have some competition;......
    Not really, That unit will ONLY run that pot.
    My unit will run multiple devices, just plug in which ever one you want.

Lets see:
    3 LEE 20#, a lubsizer (lets say a heated star), and your meat smoker, and a heat treating oven and my control unit.
    Under a $1000.

You're close to that with just 3 of the lymans.

Now I like the looks and sound of that melter....anyone want to buy a barely used Pro Melt?? Probably less than 3 pots through it...

Doc Highwall - you can just drill a proper sized hole in the mould and use the PID temp probe to measure mould temp. I use it to adjust the temp of the hot plate. My melt is usually liquid by the time the mould is at temp so I move the probe, give a few minutes to settle out and cast.

Boolit Master
    popper, I am using Al's (NOE) temperature probe that he sells for the mould, a PID from Frozone for the pot, and a Lyman/RCBS thermometer for the hot plate.

Banned

I'll give ya a hundred for it.
    Or maybe you'd want to trade it for a PID

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    ....anyone want to buy a barely used Pro Melt??

Boolit Master

Just ordered my PID from Frozone, it's a better deal.

Larry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Everybody does it different but mostly we use the same components, so here is a pic of mine. It is for a 220v Magma pot, 110 will be a bit different. I can't believe how much having this has increased my peace of mind. Kinda like having a speedo on a motorcycle, you can mostly judge your speed but it is so much nicer to actually KNOW. As you can see it isn't all THAT complicated but unless you are good with electrical stuff buying one already made is much easier and saves a BUNCH of time, looking for and ordering all the components, wire, outlets andplugs and a decent box to hold it all.
    I sure hope you don't spill any molten lead on all those exposed wires. Or is there a lid that goes on there somewhere? Ask me what happens when hot lead drips on the connector panel of a pid!?¿ Never mind,PHFFTT!---New pid installed and COVERED!
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Ok, I'm new to the whole PID thing. Ive got one of Frozone's PID's and it's great. I got it with a TC for the Lead Pot, and then I got two other TC's (small threaded ones). So far, I have only been using the PID to control my lead pot.

So are you guys screwing the smaller TC's into a alum block that sits on a hot plate to bring your molds up to temp. Then unplug the the TC from the PID, and then plug the TC in the lead pot into the PID. Or how are you checking the Lead Pot temp and the Mold temp?

Boolit Master
    I bought two PID and boxed them so one is tuned for the pot and one is tuned for the hotplate.

Boolit Master

Yea,got one of frozone's PID's last week. Wasn't casting and dying to try it out, so I turned on the heater (20 watt silicone pad) put the probe next to the main casting of the sizer and saw how long it took to get to 100. Great little device, and a very professional build! Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Just like Midway to have a higher price than suggested by the manufaucturer. It is usually the other way around. Magma also makes a pid but it kinda pricey.

the thermostat in my old RCBS pot at one time had a 10 degree range between on and off, then it increased to about 30 to 40 degrees. RCBS sent me a new thermostat but of a different manufacturer and it has about a 15 degree range. Seems to work just fine for me.
    What is the on off range with freezone's pid?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Frozone will have some competition;

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...g25furnace.php

What I can't figure out is how they can put a pid on that Lyman pot for LESS than what the old pots cost?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162...rnace-110-volt

If I didn't already have a pid that I built, that would be a great deal.
    I certainly didn't make this post to belittle Frozone's unit. Or in any way detract from it. Just sayin' the industry has "seen the light",, offered a better thermostat for a lead pot.

I'd be real interested to see how or where the TC senses lead temperature in the Lyman pot. I went with Horsemen's design over on the special projects forum. Drilled a hole in the bottom, then used the ¼ X 20 threaded TC to go through the pot metal to directly sense the lead.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=PID

leadman

Just like Midway to have a higher price than suggested by the manufaucturer. It is usually the other way around. Magma also makes a pid but it kinda pricey.
    ???¿ The Midway price I linked to is for the presently made Lyman pot. The other linky was for the Lyman site announcement for the new PID controlled unit.

As Frozone points out, HIS unit can be used with/for other TC's to regulate hot plates, lubrisizers, or to sense mold temps. So can mine;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	60225

Just be sure to use some of the wire from the TC, inside the cabinet to connect the female plug to the PID terminals. The wires are way too long anyway, and the connectors have to be cut off also. Frozone can comment on the why of this, in my very limited understanding is the resistance or impedance has to be the same all-the-way from the TC head to the PID.

Here's how I used a ¼ threaded TC to sense/control the temp of my Lyman 450 lubrisizer;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pid-heater-luber.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	60226

I would hesitate to try to tap into the Lyman heater plate. I don't know just where the heater element runs in that plate, the drill might cut the wire!