Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Need a load for my CVA Bobcat

Boolit Buddy

Need a load for my CVA Bobcat

Just picked up my first muzzleloader, a CVA Bobcat. I have read a lot of load data, but I was hoping for a starting place for what I have. I have the local gun shop getting me some Pyrodex RS, I just don't have the funds right now to buy a whole case of BP. I have a box of Hornady RB's and I will probably just start with some traditions lubed patches they have at the LGS.

I am pretty excited about my Bobcat, I first thought I wanted an inline rifle so it would be "easy" to use. But after I found the Bobcat at a cheap price, got it home and started cleaning it, I think a sidelock is all I want. I think a pistol will be next, and I am building a powder horn right now.

The powder horn thread is in special projects if you guys want to give some advice on it.

Kinda funny, while everyone else in the world is trying to buy AR's I am going the other direction!

OH, the Bobcat is a 1 in 48 twist carbine style if that would help.

Thanks,Randy

I assume it's a 50 cal. For starters, you can go with 50 grains. Should be able to get to 100 grains, but that little gun might be a brute at the top end.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Don't know what caliber you have but many on here will have suggestions- pretty straight forward on suggested starting "loads" but your own experimentation will serve you best. I'd recommend BP but that's me. Graf is at Mexico MO so sooner or later you or someone could get some BP (if they have any left after the buying frenzy ). As far as going the opposite way in the madness- I'm with you! I've been selling "modern" type guns for good $ and picking up old overlooked ones for cheap $

Lastly, this is a pretty good investment if just getting into traditional MLs. $15 to your door.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Buddy

Re: Need a load for my CVA Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Don't know what caliber you have but many on here will have suggestions- pretty straight forward on suggested starting "loads" but your own experimentation will serve you best. I'd recommend BP but that's me. Graf is at Mexico MO so sooner or later you or someone could get some BP (if they have any left after the buying frenzy ). As far as going the opposite way in the madness- I'm with you! I've been selling "modern" type guns for good $ and picking up old overlooked ones for cheap $

Lastly, this is a pretty good investment if just getting into traditional MLs. $15 to your door.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    I did not know Grafs was in Mexico, I am from Sturgeon originally which is not far, maybe get one of my family to go over and pick some up for me.

It is a 50 cal, and pyrodex is all could find locally, BP is what I want. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the link on the book, I need to pick that up.

Randy
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never used Pyrodex so can't comment on that. I have a Traditions DeerHunter (their version of the Bobcat) and have killed many deer with 100grns of 3F (black powder) and a prb. That much powder is too wasteful in that short barrel and I now shoot 70grns as a hunting load. For targets/plinking you'll find 30grns to 40grns a good accurate load range.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
    I've never used Pyrodex so can't comment on that. I have a Traditions DeerHunter (their version of the Bobcat) and have killed many deer with 100grns of 3F (black powder) and a prb. That much powder is too wasteful in that short barrel and I now shoot 70grns as a hunting load. For targets/plinking you'll find 30grns to 40grns a good accurate load range.

Thanks for the info, I will switch to BP when I find some locally to buy. You have give me a good starting point.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

50gr would be a good stating place. When I get a new (to me)ML I usually start at one gr per caliber and 1/2 gr per caliber for pistols. You can go up or even down from there if you like. I have one in 50 cal and one similar in 32. Good little guns and allot of fun to shoot. I shot pyrodex for years and it does well. Equal amounts by volume to BP.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    way back in the day I provided a "Bobcat" as camp gun for when things went bad for somebodys rifle and couldn't get parts repair etc... It was a very accurate rifle and carried well. Found it shot prb (patched round ball) exceptionally well. Shot 70 gr of FF or FFF or RS depending on bp (black powder) or pyrodex availability. The .490 balls were patched with TC pillow tick or homemade pillow tick patches. .495 balls were way tight to load. That gun accounted for lots of deer by fellows who managed to booger up their expensive rifles and fell back on the "camp rifle" that I provided. After 20 plus years it is still in action as passed along to a youngster from church that has used it for 3 years and killed 5 more deer with it. I did upgrade the ramrod with one I fashioned myself that is hickory as the original didn't last through the original sight in session. Typical load was 55 to 85 grains of powder, prb and #11 rws cap. Windage didn't change much just elevation with lighter or heavier loads, and not enough to change the sights.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Buddy

Re: Need a load for my CVA Bobcat

You guys are great, I am pretty new to guns in general and never been able to shoot BP before. I hope to get shoot my first deer with my Bobcat. Kinda weird being well in my forties and just starting out. Never too late I guess!

Randy
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    OK, another question. My LGS finally got the pyrodex in for me and they had gotten P instead of RS. Now, P says its equivalent to FFF. I know a lot of you use FFF BP so would Pyrodex P be OK to use? I know CVA recomends RS. I went ahead and bought the P so he didn't have to return it and he knocked 2 bucks off the price, and he will get the RS I asked for. I know I want a caplock pistol next so I know it won't be wasted. Just looking for an opinion on the P VS the RS. Thanks.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

You can use it fine but might want to use slightly lighter loads. You'll have to shoot it and see. Might even shoot better.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    You can use it fine but might want to use slightly lighter loads. You'll have to shoot it and see. Might even shoot better.

Thanks Moorman!

Randy

Boolit Master
    The P will shoot just fine. Start a little lower and remember that when you get some RS to start the same load and go up to equal the P. I can tell you 85 grains of P is honkin hot and probably more than you need in the Bobcat. Start at 55 with the P and work up.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

who made the bobcat???

also does anyone know anything about the Gallagher Carbine Mfg by Erma Werke? what calibers and how they work. its a percussion but use's a brass shell ? GD
    Last edited by gandydancer; 01-28-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy
    I had a CVA bobcat, loved making smoke with it.

My charges were 100gr powder with 250gr bullet. I had a bunch left over from a Traditions inline. So I never shot round balls out of it.

I used both Goex and pyrodex. To me Goex burned cleaner and made a lot more smoke. My buddies would be gaging after I shoot it, and then say "well that's enough smoke for me, I don't need to light up a cig for a while" lol
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I did find black powder locally so I will probabaly save the pyrodex back, never know when you might need it!

Still going to follow you guys advice on working up to what it likes.

Randy
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Glassman66,

I'm getting my CVA Bobcat ready for this years Muzzleloader season. Starts in Eastern NC in two weeks. Right now I'm using a Lee single cav 360 gr Minie Ball under 80 grs of RS (vol). Was looking at CVA manual that came with it and they state a max charge of 100grs of FFg PB or equilvant volume of RS. I prime mine with a #11 cap. The Mini Ball does shoot a bit low at 25yds but the brass front sight is tall enough for me to file down to POA/POI. Still debating wheter to use a patched .490 RB or the Minie this year. We do have some good sized black bears here also.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

Either RB or mini should work well if you do your part.
    Aim small, miss small!