MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you go "old school" without being a re-enactor?

I use the gun, clothing and kit that suits the day, season and area I'm in.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I use my feet instead of a quad so I guess that's old school. Don't have a GPS and still use map and compass- old school. Don't have an RV camper or camp trailer and still use a canvas wall tent- old school. Cut up and pack game out- old school. My rifle scopes for the hi power Jbullet bolt guns are either fixed 4X or 6X- old school. The muzzleloaders I hunt with are either original or traditional side locks and have open sights and are loaded with cast lead and real blackpowder- old school. I use wool pants for cold/wet weather hunting- old school. Mostly rely on the experience of what has or has not worked for over 50 years of hunting but am not blind to trying newer or better stuff either.

Well put. I've gradually swapped my variable over to fixed powered scopes. Simple and they just plain work for me.

Boolit Mold
    Would the fact that my favorite center fire rifle is a single-shot .45-70 loaded with 2F make me old school? How about that the cases are stuffed using a Lyman 310 tong tool? I still find it odd that the components for 50 rounds outweigh my loading equipment and take up just as much space.

I hunt with a kodiak dbl rifle in .54 i traded for a scoped Win 70 in .270. he thought he got the best deal. A havesack with extra loads and my trusty Ruger in 45 Colt and im off to fetch us some meat. I got away from flat shooting rifles,lazer range finders and moa loads that knockem down at 400 yards. Up close and personal gives me more enjoyment that i can write about. I pour my own bullets with weel weight lead that cost me a pizza and a six pack from the local tire store. Keep it simple and make the first shot count, youll enjoy your time outdoors more.
    Scout,plan,execute, repeat

Boolit Buddy

I have some camo clothes but they don't do when the weather is real cold. I have a wool pull-over hunting shirt made by a guy in Michigan. It has a separate hood and shoulder cowl and keeps me super warm in cold weather. Looks sort of like something out of the middle ages. All my gear is pretty much old school style: MLs, single shots, levers...all shoot BP & cast boolits. I don't buy any of the latest trendy stuff for hunting, I consider it a waste of time and it ruins the "simplicity of life" that I prefer.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you go "old school" without being a re-enactor?

My firearm choices are pretty much old school. But when it comes to clothing I spend money on good gear. One of best investments I made was to purchase some Sitka gear. Defiantly expensive, but it keeps me warm and dry while weighing very little. I have nothing against wool but it's heavy and the new performance fibers are a good replacement for it. Boots absolutely have to be GoreTex(or equivalent). It keeps my feet dry at work and in the field. And old school long johns pale in comparison to the modern merino wool/poly blends. During early archery I hunt in my work clothing. But once the temp drops I like having nice gear. I'm not your typical rotund American so I have issues finding clothes that fit to begin w/. Sitka happens to have a cut that fits me perfectly. And comfort is the name of the game.

I dont own any clothes that is hunting camo. I like flannel over shirts, jeans, and a carhartt c002 chore coat for hunting. And cotton knit gloves with the fingers cut off. That and an old gun. Im 32, and thats what I like.

The old stuff tends to be made better, and the price is is usually right on it. The youngest rifle I have came out of the 1940's. I have been told it is a classic period piece.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Being retired military, I have all sorts of military clothing. Boots, socks, BDUs, T shirts, polypro, goretex, as I was an officer (warrant) and had to buy my own for 16 years. I have enough to last me for my lifetime. I use all that and other stuff issued, but not returnable, for hunting. Use my dad's WWII Kabar (he traded for it). Have all sorts of other military gear--squad stoves, mess kits, canteens, entrenching tools (some WWII) etc. I don't know if it qualifies for "old school", but works for me.
    side bar here; the few warrant officers I served under knew their stuff and I'd have followed them right into hell, should have been known as merit officers cause their knowledge hard work and admiration of their peers got them to where they are!Hats off to you sir!

Boolit Buddy

Used to have and hunt with all the newest, state-of-the-art, modern tools and equipment. Scoped long range rifles, Encore muzzleloaders, newest versions of Mathews bows loaded with everything, rangefinders, top end binocular, dozens of tree stands, multiple trail cams, feeders, scent control clothes, calls, rattling horns, scents, decoys, drag lines, mock scrapes, corn by the ton, etc, etc, etc. I watched all the know-it-all pros on the DVDs hawking gear I just had to have to be successful.

Finally got tired of all the work, hassle, time and money spent. Starting about 12 years ago, I sold off all of it and started over. I now hunt in Muck boots, knit hat, and decade-old camo from WalMart. I hunt with an iron sighted Blackhawk with home-cast handloads in a holster and carry nothing else other than a knife and flashlight. I hunt from ground "blinds" constructed pre-season with local vegetation. I do wash my clothing in scent-free detergent, even though I still try to stay upwind. I hunt close in and enjoy every moment. I don't kill as many deer as before, but I still get my fair share and I've never felt such satisfaction.
    Last edited by bisleyfan41; 07-17-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well, all of my guns are older than I am, that's not necessarily by choice but because the guns and ammo I get are what I either found that I preferred or what I inherited. I also use older calls, my grandfather's old wooden coyote call which sounds better than any new call I have ever tried, a Sears deer call that a friend of mine found and gave me. I have a few older knives I have used. As far as clothing, most is fairly new but it's none too fancy.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123