Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Just getting started with PP Boolits and 45-70 GBL

Boolit Mold

Just getting started with PP Boolits and 45-70 GBL

I am just getting started with this Paper Patch thing, very intriguing. I am shooting a Remlin GBL in 45-70. Bore slugged at .451 and groove diameter measured .458. I am using an old Lyman 457193. It is dropping at 409 grains with straight WW's and air cooled. I sized the Boolits to .452 and patched them with 16# notebook paper (can't find the green bar stuff around here). I ended up with a final diameter of .462. I am not sizing again, because I do not have a large enough sizing die yet. I loaded them on top of 46 grs of RL-7. It fills the case but not much compression. I am wrapping them to just past the step in the Boolit and seating and roll crimping just past the paper. I am lubing by hand with a 50/50 mix of LBT Blue and Vaseline because it was what I have. I have not tested it for accuracy yet, just seeing if it works. I have many questions, but would welcome any guidance from what you see from the picture. The paper looks like it is seperating/tearing between the GG's. They match the spacing of the grooves. The expanded boolit was dug out of a wet pine log. There is little to see at the base, it turned into a cupped base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	60709

Looks like you are well on your way to perfection. Here is what works for me, from an earlier post.

1895g Load for everything

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451 and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60º angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. The next day the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 58 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you pdawg,

I will try that powder if I can find it. 450 grains, thats quite the bullet. Am I correct to keep all the paper in the casing? You are starting with a bullet at or possibly under my bore diameter and sizing to .459. How does sizing affect the bullet? I have read to keep the bullet 1/1.5 thousands over bore diameter. Does the paper just mash down and leave the bullet alone? This is a hunting and toting rifle, we experience pretty warm summers here, is lube migration from the patch to the powder a problem? I read "a paper jacket", but I still have a lot of questions.

Perm-Banned
    E-Scott, what is the vel. of your bullet with 46 grains of RL-7 behind it? i bet that recoils. i really like RL-7 but i've backed off on the charge for comfort. your load would be a good elk load.

Boolit Mold
    Johnson, I have not chronoed it yet. It does thump a bit though. I have only fired about five PP bullets so far. I will know more by the end of the week.

I run my patch just past the start of the ogive, well out of the case. I want my patch to engage the rifling when chambered. When necessary I size all my bullets to bore diameter +.001/.0015. Patch back up to grove diameter +.001/.003 or as large as will fit the throat.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Mold
    Pdawg, thanks that removes some confusion.

Johnson, 46 grs of RL7 chronoed at 1715 at 10 feet from the muzzle. 55 grains of H4895(too compressed) gave 1750. 47 grains of RL7 gave 1750. I still have not checked for accuracy.