RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Intersting

Boolit Master

Intersting

I have a Chiliean Mauser that I have played with a little, I don't remember the bore/grove demensions exactly but typicaly a little over size. I have been using the Lyman 287-641 through a .285 Lyman sizer to lube and gas check with definatly minuite of deer but not what I would post here with a look at what I done target. Which brings to the point.
    I bought one of the Mid South 6.5 cruise missle moulds and had miserable results in the 6.5x55, most of them went in the pot to be recycled. I found ten of them Saturday and dry wrapped them in 20#paper, rolled them acrossed a sponge and let them dry. Sunday I loaded them out as far as they would go with a touch of bees wax,crisco and olive oil to help slide them in the case over 35 grns of IMR 4350 with the rest of case filled with wheat bran. As wrapped they mesure .284.
    I fired the five at a clay target in the field, shooting off hand with the first one about a foot high, then the other 4 in a six inch pattern aound the clay. This was at an estimated 90 to 100 yds.
    After chasing the 303, this was a suprise, my best group with cartridge and smokeless. The paper was in pieces not much bigger than flakes of wheat bran. I think they are undersize, but look like I need to dig that mould out and try with this gun.
    Thanks to 303 guy on trying wheat bran.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

So the Chilean Mauser is a 7x57, right? So even though the patched boolits were undersize they shot OK? That 7x57 case has a nice gentle shoulder , perfect for the wheat bran to 'swage' through. How was the primer flattening? I have a sort of primer flattening 'scale' I use to compare pressures. It only works if there is no primer back out.

Something I haven't tested yet is an undersize bore-ride nose. I like the fibrous nature and compactability to form a wad with scrubbing action. I just find it difficult to meter into the case (and it feeds bugs that spin silk). I sift it before using but haven't figured a way of de-bugging it. I suppose I should bake it first. But for immediate use it doesn't matter.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I first let the weavels start, realised the mistake and baked it and sived it. Now it flowes fine. I use the Lee dippers when it gets serious. I do like the compresivness of it. I do like the clean bore it leaves.
    The primers looked like one had poped a primer without a load. There is room to move the load up. I had wondered If the casting would bump up to fill the bore considering the length. Something must have helped as they are a good bit undersized. I hope to recover enough of a core to mike it and check for rifling. All I found was some small pieces of lead.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10