Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 6 Cavity Mold for 45acp

Boolit Bub

Lee 6 Cavity Mold for 45acp

I was wondering witch would be better the lee 90310 swc or the lee 90379 wc both are 200gr. the 90310 is like what I reload now and the 90379 has more ridges. Any differences really or are they basically the same? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

The actual bullet designation rather than the product # would proably get you a respose. I would respond but I simply won't take my time to go look them up if you can't be more descriptive. Not being argumentitive just telling you you'll get better results with a better description.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    OK being new to casting what is bullet designation? Both molds in question are for a 200gr bullet for 45acp, the 90310 is the h&g 68 design and the 90379 has more grooves in it for the lube. I dont know what more is needed, sorry

Designation for the 90379 is TL452-200-SWC, the 90310 is the 452-200-SWC. The difference being that one utilizes the Lee trademarked "tumble lube (TL)" design. These molds are intended to be used with the more efficient push thru sizer and (theoretically) Lee Liquid Alox, see the sticky on 45/45/10 lube. The standard bullet is intended for a more conventional, albeit slower, sizing process and forcing lube into lube grooves. I find the TL far more efficient, and anymore, I normally use the 45/45/10 lube on nearly all of my pistol bullets, regardless of design and then size them through the Lee push thru sizer. Another perk of the TL designs and the push through sizers, you don't have to pony up 150-+ for the sizing press, and worry about the top punch, and worry about the sizing die, and worry about what lube for what pressure/velocity bullet (some require a lube heater). With the TL, the procedure is: tumble in the lube (whether 45/45/10 or Lee Liquid Alox "LLA" or similar), dry, push through size, lube again, dry, load.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_iverson View Post
    Designation for the 90379 is TL452-200-SWC, the 90310 is the 452-200-SWC. The difference being that one utilizes the Lee trademarked "tumble lube (TL)" design. These molds are intended to be used with the more efficient push thru sizer and (theoretically) Lee Liquid Alox, see the sticky on 45/45/10 lube. The standard bullet is intended for a more conventional, albeit slower, sizing process and forcing lube into lube grooves. I find the TL far more efficient, and anymore, I normally use the 45/45/10 lube on nearly all of my pistol bullets, regardless of design and then size them through the Lee push thru sizer. Another perk of the TL designs and the push through sizers, you don't have to pony up 150-+ for the sizing press, and worry about the top punch, and worry about the sizing die, and worry about what lube for what pressure/velocity bullet (some require a lube heater). With the TL, the procedure is: tumble in the lube (whether 45/45/10 or Lee Liquid Alox "LLA" or similar), dry, push through size, lube again, dry, load.
    I use the same lube for my LEE 230 TC TL except I don't size, I fire them as cast out of my 45 Win Mag M1 Carbine conversion pushed with 16 grains of AA #7. Never had a leading problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would go with the H&G copy myself. I have had better results with that mold than with the TL mold. Buy the 6 cavity, and crank 'em out. You can tumble lube any boolit, so don't be put off by the lack of a "TL" designation. I use the recluse 45/45/10 version because it drys faster than Lee Liquid Alox, but eith work just fine in a 45 acp.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I'd recommend trying some of both to see what your gun(s) prefer. I've bought boolits from Carolina Cast Bullets to decide on Lee molds a few times over now. He doesn't seem to offer the H&G clone, but you could probably find somebody to get you a few to try out. The H&G clone isn't exactly the same as the original H&G 68, but it's pretty close.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    Thank you gentlemen for your replies, I really appreciate it. So with the h&g clone the single lube grove would not necessarily have to be totally full, Is that correct? thanks

No, you will get air pockets in your sizer/lube groovesnow n then, or incomplete fill out. I get most of mine to fill out and have never seen it lead to any leading issues. If I size a boolit and it has less than 80% I run it through again just to be consistant.

Boolit Master
    When using the tumble lubes so often mentioned here,no the lube grooves will no fill. Tumble lube is most effective when co ating the outside of the boolit. When using a lubesizer machine then the lube groove must be filled because there will be not other lube on the outside of the boolit. Another process called pan lubing will also fill the lube grooves with the very same type of lube used in lubesizer machines. Sizing then takes care of the final diameter of the boolit.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller