RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Looking at Molds

Smile Looking at Molds

I am just starting with all of this casting stuff. I cast my ingots this weekend, and am about ready to start getting molds.

Should I try to pick up some used molds on here, and upgrade to new specific molds after getting some casting under my belt, or go ahead and save up for the new molds in the begenning?

I plan on casting for 9mm, 38/357, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, & 45lc. The 44's, and the 45lc will probably be used for hunting (around 250gr), and the others for general shooting, and defensive loads. Rifle casting will come in a few months after some experience hopefully.

Thanks in advance for any advise and help on this issue.
    Bo

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well as long as your needs are not "special" as to dia(some guns need a slightly bigger bullet), IMHO you will not do bad to order up some stone stock Lee molds, if you order several at a crack you combine your shipping. I really like the 6 cavity and buy them in any style I can. if I were buying 2 cavity I would make sure they are the "new" style.

I prefer lube groove bullets lube sized, others love the tumble lube bullets.

I prefer to never use gas checks on pistol bullets, others like to use them sometimes for hotter stuff.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Banned

let's see.
    i have molds from,lyman,rcbs,saeco,ideal,noe,nei,accurate,rapin e, about 20 from magma engineering, oh and a lee.
    design is what i am looking for in a mold.
    i have a way i like to lube and the boolit designs i use reflect that.
    i happen to like rnfp molds in handguns and my mold designs reflect that.
    i have an idea of what i am looking for in most of the rifles i buy molds for and have several different designs because each rifle i own is a little different.
    so i end up with bore riders,loverign designs,and many in between those two.

Boolit Master
    Willbird has a pretty good point. It is hard to beat the lee 2cav molds and the education they can provide. After casting and shooting a bit, you will develope tastes that may be different than now. I prefer now, that I think I know what I want, to buy from NOE, Miha, Accurate and so forth. They are cost effective, beautiful molds. I still go back to some of the lee designs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like Run I am far more concerned with design than any other factor. I am looking for moulds to produce a bullet for a specific use. The wrong design in a heat mould is still the wrong design.

Take care of your moulds and they all will last quite a while and make good bullets.

I have fewer moulds than many. I have about 30 to 40 moulds but most of my shooting is done with 10 designs or so.

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest you start with your .38 Spl and your .45 Colt, or ACP. Get a couple of Lee moulds you like the looks of, and get going. Then start looking for some iron/steel moulds like Lyman, RCBS or Saeco. After you've got some casting under your belt, you'll start seeing what you like in a boolit, what you need in a fit for your gun(s), and then you'll start looking to the $100 plus NOE, Accurate, Hoch......and you'll end up with a bunch....and be happy.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Banned

A boolit you like and the design is always first to try.
    But if you find a used mold here because a few guys change guns, calibers or just have too many molds, I would not have second thoughts of buying one.
    Stay away from fleabay.

Boolit Master

When I first started casting, I got some very good molds. I put them through a hard life for awhile. Learning to cast took some doing for me. I set the mold on top of the pot and sure enough, it fell in and was covered with molten lead everywhere. It took forever to get cleaned off. I had the sprue plate too loose or too tight and it nicked part of the mold. I ended up getting a couple of LEE 2 cavity molds and used those until I got things half way under control. Then I went back to my original molds. For your .357 or .38, the LEE 158 RNFP is a good mold to try. You may have different experiences but that's my story.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Bub

Take a look at LBT molds. I use a custom made mold in 30 BR that he made for me and it makes a very nice boolit and very accurate. He makes molds for all calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking at Molds

I started w/ Lee molds because of their price. I'm now in the process of replacing all if them with quality brass molds in the designs I'm looking for. I've found brass to be easier to cast with in general. And since they're made by the custom makers the quality is extremely high.

Thanks guys,
    Think I'm gonna just start getting a few inexpensive Lee molds to start learning.
    I did get on a group buy for a NOE HP in 45 cal. Figure by the time it comes around I should have some experience under my belt.

Banned

BO1, NOE already finished up a HP 45 cal mould and has bunches in stock now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    i'd suggest you start with your .38 spl and your .45 colt, or acp. Get a couple of lee moulds you like the looks of, and get going. Then start looking for some iron/steel moulds like lyman, rcbs or saeco. After you've got some casting under your belt, you'll start seeing what you like in a boolit, what you need in a fit for your gun(s), and then you'll start looking to the $100 plus noe, accurate, hoch......and you'll end up with a bunch....and be happy.
    bingo!

I too started with Lee molds for the price. This gave me the opportunity to learn casting without high cost. Once I developed some opinions of what worked for me, I ordered aluminum molds from Mountain Molds and Accurate. They all make nice bullets. The Mountain Molds seem to be less sticky than others. I also purchased RCBS and Lyman molds. I like the RCBS molds better than Lyman. Take your time and figure out what works best for you. You know your tastes better than anyone else.

Boolit Grand Master

Start with a .38 Spl using the Lee 358 - 158 RF, pan lubed with NRA 50-50 or equivalent, sized
    to throat diameter and use something like Unique, Bullseye, W231, Titegroup, Red Dot or Clays
    to make a pleasant plinking load. Use air cooled wwt alloy or softer.

After you get that all working, step up to the .45 ACP. H&G 68 or equivalent, size to .452, lube
    with NRA 50-50, seat a real H&G 68 to 1.250-1.260 and taper crimp as a separate operation to
    about .471-.470 at the case mouth. Use one of the above powders. If you use a different boolit,
    adjust LOA and TC with the dismounted bbl as your gage. Use air cooled wwt alloy or softer.

That will get you started with the least pain and most gain. After that is working, come back and
    ask for more.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    When I started casting I began working with with 41 Mag. I would suggest starting with molds for either your 44 or 45. I found the 9mm took me longer to work out all the problems than any other caliber. I have a bunch of Lee molds around here and I like the way the RCBS molds cast for me also. I had more problems working with Lyman molds than any other. I started with them back in the mid 60's. You are gonna have a bunch of fun with this new hobby and I still enjoy it all these decades later.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Super Moderator

............For your 38 Special I'd suggest a Lee 148gr WC (I like the lube groove version) and ditto a 158gr SWC. REALLY tough to go wrong with either. I have this TOP SECRET load that I'd labored many years to fine tune, and I will share it with you but you can't tell anyone else. It's 2.7grs of Bullseye ! Depending upon what your lead cost ya a box of 50 rounds should run about $2.50. You can have those moulds amortized off the books in no time

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance